User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #6766
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,430
did a track day on the dakar today

Apart from the first session being as slippery as a slippery thing it was great, overtook a few sports bikes, including a couple round the outside on corners

That went down well judging by the way they nailed the throttle on the next long straight
Old 11-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #6767
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
What kind of displacements were you facing off against?
Old 11-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #6768
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

usual sport bike stuff really, 600's and litre bikes. I had no hope in the straights but I could keep with them and pass them in the twisty stuff. Was only in the novice group as it was my first track day, so I expect it would be a different thing all together with track experienced riders.

I managed to pass a r1 under braking going into a corner, went around the outside of a couple of 600's on other corners and held my own against a few other faster bikes, surely that shouldn't happen

Also the rear tourance is well and truly scrubbed in, it now has those little bits of melted rubber around the edges
Old 11-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #6769
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjah View Post
Wait until you take it for ride.

There is a bit of a technique to getting the axel aligned properly. I found the below document very useful.

http://www.moto-pro.com/files/shopti..._alignment.pdf

and

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-860817.html

I may well be preaching to the choir here but hopefully someone will find it useful and it does make a noticable improvement.

My axle needed to be filed a little to allow it to be seated all the way in on the RHS (as per second link). PO had being using a metal hammer on it to tap it into place..
thanks for the info, i did some of the stuff listed but not all, good to know for sure!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #6770
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
I ran a 90/100w Phillips on my 2001 Dakar back in South Africa.
The wires got warm, but nothing ever melted!

The vibration kills those bulbs in no time though. 3 in 16 months
yea im going to try the 100 watt out and watch for anything getting hot.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #6771
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad View Post
usual sport bike stuff really, 600's and litre bikes. I had no hope in the straights but I could keep with them and pass them in the twisty stuff. Was only in the novice group as it was my first track day, so I expect it would be a different thing all together with track experienced riders.

I managed to pass a r1 under braking going into a corner, went around the outside of a couple of 600's on other corners and held my own against a few other faster bikes, surely that shouldn't happen

Also the rear tourance is well and truly scrubbed in, it now has those little bits of melted rubber around the edges
Kudos to you for taking the bike to a track day. BTW, it's the rider not the bike. When I started, dudes on baffled out sv650's could pass me on the outside, me on a modern I-4 sport bike. Fast forward a year or so and I was beatin' dudes on their liter sport bikes.

Nothing improves your street skills like track days. Nothing.

I bet the Dakar would be great on everything but long straights. But long straights are boring whether you're doing a 110 or a 150. Until you get to the end.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #6772
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
two??? We've only seen one, I believe......
There was this one............with 1.6g rear tank.

And now this one which I hope to have finished soon..........

Redesigned rear suspension with shock over swing arm configuration gives me 11.5" of rear travel.

Tank plug almost done.

Tank almost complete with Renazco seat. Notice the rear wheel is in it's full up swing position.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 11-14-2011 at 10:18 AM
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #6773
coletrain
All aboard!

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i talked to a guy at the motorcycle shop today and he said he has only seen where the plug plugs into the bulb gets hot from the extra bulb heat not the wire so they offer upgraded plugs for the higher wattage bulbs. this makes sense but it seems like the wire gauge should be thick enough too for the extra amps.
My plastic plug melted then cracked, I just broke it all off and put female spade connectors on the exposed wires directly to the spades on the bulb. No more plastic melty.

'01 F650 GS
CG#2727
coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #6774
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coletrain View Post
My plastic plug melted then cracked, I just broke it all off and put female spade connectors on the exposed wires directly to the spades on the bulb. No more plastic melty.
yea thats what they are talking about, the plastic end plug gets hot from the extra heat off the bulb and melts. my 100 watt bulb did great today, rode about 2 hours during a long lunch break and nothing on the wires. the baja design plug is just a metal spade that plugs right into the bulb.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #6775
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
Kudos to you for taking the bike to a track day. BTW, it's the rider not the bike. When I started, dudes on baffled out sv650's could pass me on the outside, me on a modern I-4 sport bike. Fast forward a year or so and I was beatin' dudes on their liter sport bikes.

Nothing improves your street skills like track days. Nothing.

I bet the Dakar would be great on everything but long straights. But long straights are boring whether you're doing a 110 or a 150. Until you get to the end.
yup, the dak was great apart from the straights, got left by pretty much everything on those.

i was at cadwell park in the uk, a good little circuit

I was following the r1 guy for ages, he'd blast away in the straights then I'd catch him in the corners but I could never quite get close enough to pass, then I decided to keep it nailed in 5th round coppice and that let me keep close enough to him on park straight to pass him on the entrance into park corner.

Charles was a good one for around the outside overtaking and i even got a wheelie over the mountain

Next time i'll take the sv
Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #6776
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

man, with the yz frontend the bike sure feels great! i heard the yz front is lighter than the stock dakar if so by how much? the front pops a wheelie way easier so i feels lighter for sure.i was too excited and forgot to weigh the frontends when i had it apart lol!
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #6777
Benjah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I think it's around 1.5 kg lighter.
Benjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #6778
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
7 lbs?

Quote:
man, with the yz frontend the bike sure feels great! i heard the yz front is lighter than the stock dakar if so by how much? the front pops a wheelie way easier so i feels lighter for sure.i was too excited and forgot to weigh the frontends when i had it apart lol!

this is copied from page 21 of this thread, according to resident light wieght F650:

I have an "06 Dakar.....kind of.

Last weighed, it was about 338lbs dry.

Here's what I've done:

Yamaha YZ 450 front suspension -7lbs
Replaced stock exhaust with Supertrapp directly to header (no Adventure Pipe connector) -15lbs
Removed ABS system (It's shit anyways) -12lbs
Moved battery into ABS box to lower CG.
Removed Fairing, light assembly, and metal support bracket. Replaced with 1.5lb carbon fiber setup with dual 50w HID's. -12lbs
Removed rear cowling/luggage rack setup and metal sub structure. -6lbs
Cut off rear pegs at the frame. -2lbs
Removed all plastic except to faux tank pieces. -4lbs
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #6779
Benjah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Removed Fairing, light assembly, and metal support bracket. Replaced with 1.5lb carbon fiber setup with dual 50w HID's. -12lbs
Could you please expand a little on this process? I'd really like to see some shots of the carbon fibre setup if thats ok?. Did you install a vapour or similar digital speedo as well?
Benjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #6780
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,076
Quote:

That's one great looking GS! You should sell a kit to those of us who lack your skillz
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote