User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #7441
dgomezhall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Offroad pegs

Does anyone know what other bike's pegs would fit an '01 Dakar? I've heard some of the 1200gs pegs fit, any others?
dgomezhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #7442
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post

That looks awesome. Maybe I should ditch my rally fairing and copy the OEM ones. Still love those OEM lines.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #7443
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,733
You mean that is a stock windscreen??
Old 02-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #7444
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
stox shox

Is the stock Showa worth rebuilding on my 05 Dakar, if even possible? It's not leaking, but it's getting spongy even without loading it down(besides my 220lbs), with the adjuster cranked in all the way.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #7445
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
You mean that is a stock windscreen??
That is an ermax painted black.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #7446
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
That is an ermax painted black.
love those black excels!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #7447
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Hey Parx400,

Good lookin' bike! I'm reworking mine at the moment too. I have a couple questions if you don't mind:

1. What rear fender/tail light is that on your Dakar?

2. Is that the EBC 320mm disc and caliper adapter mount on the front? And the YZ Yamaha Nissin caliper? Do you have a good source for the EBC kit?

Thanks!
David
That is a crf rear from like 2005. It's only about half of one. It was a lot of cutting and grinding. Basically it's just a cover for the back sub frame. I used some cheap tail ligh that holds the licenses plate off eBay.

Yes that is the ebc320. It was on my old wr450. Yes with a yz caliper. I got the disk at motostrano.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #7448
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
KTM pegs can be made to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgomezhall View Post
Does anyone know what other bike's pegs would fit an '01 Dakar? I've heard some of the 1200gs pegs fit, any others?

These are the foot pegs on my wifes bike. the pivot pin for the KTM pegs was a little smaller that the BMW pegs but the spring takes up the slack nicely. I had to gring 1/16" off the KTM pegs go they would slide into the BMW carrier, then I had to weld a little matterial to the lower foot of the pegs so that the pegs would seat horazontaly. I picked up these pegs for $25 off Ebay.

redbastard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #7449
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,867
Just put PivitPegz on my Dakar...

On their fitment chart all the F-bike singles and the big 12GSs have the same size footpegs.

GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #7450
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
That looks awesome. Maybe I should ditch my rally fairing and copy the OEM ones. Still love those OEM lines.
Better make a quick decision before you invest any time in researching how to lay up fibres, designing a fairing, making plugs etc

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #7451
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenstitches View Post
Is the stock Showa worth rebuilding on my 05 Dakar, if even possible? It's not leaking, but it's getting spongy even without loading it down(besides my 220lbs), with the adjuster cranked in all the way.
Guess you're asking about the shock there.

I've heard people say it's not possible to service the stock Showa shock, but since it was assembeled it should be possible to disassemble it too, in theory.

That said, I think you'll be better off buying an aftermarket one. Much of the cost involved in the service is the same as with an Öhlins. Not sure if everyone does it like this, but mine was built to my specs (weight, riding style, luggage requirements etc), the guy just ordered all the aprts from Öhlins and put it all together in his shop.

He also rebuilt my stock Showa front forks and they're not even slightly comparable to the stockers or stockers with the Wirth progressive springs. This was my best option since the market for used motocross forks is pretty much non existant over here.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 AM   #7452
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,867
Showa shock rebuild...

I sent my original Showa to Travis Jones of Go Race Suspension in Christiansburg VA for a revalve and service to tweak for my weight and to work with the new YZ front end. He also fitted a remote oil reservoir from a CBR600 which is the same size but has a compression adjuster. He also charged me $100 less than his original estimate because after doing the numbers for what I'm doing he concluded that my stock spring was fine.

After mounting the shock and putting the Dakar back on the ground, the bike is nice and level. Now that I've got fully adjustable suspension front and rear I'll be tweaking the settings once the weather breaks.

Travis has done suspension work for me in the past on my WR250R and the transformation of that bike was nothing short of magical! I've just got the Dakar back together so I can ride it, but after weeks of spring-like weather yesterday and today were painfully cold so I haven't done any more than quickie test rides around my neighborhood.

The Honda remote preload and reservoir are an experiment that Travis wanted to try and asked me to give him feedback on how its working. If it works as well as he thinks he believes he'll be onto a great mod for the F-bikes. I'll post back here after fine tuning and testing the revalved shock...

Here's what it looked like when I got it back from Travis (same as when I sent it only cleaner ):

And a shot of the new reservoir with compression adjuster:
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #7453
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I sent my original Showa to Travis Jones of Go Race Suspension in Christiansburg VA for a revalve and service to tweak for my weight and to work with the new YZ front end. He also fitted a remote oil reservoir from a CBR600 which is the same size but has a compression adjuster. He also charged me $100 less than his original estimate because after doing the numbers for what I'm doing he concluded that my stock spring was fine.

After mounting the shock and putting the Dakar back on the ground, the bike is nice and level. Now that I've got fully adjustable suspension front and rear I'll be tweaking the settings once the weather breaks.

Travis has done suspension work for me in the past on my WR250R and the transformation of that bike was nothing short of magical! I've just got the Dakar back together so I can ride it, but after weeks of spring-like weather yesterday and today were painfully cold so I haven't done any more than quickie test rides around my neighborhood.

The Honda remote preload and reservoir are an experiment that Travis wanted to try and asked me to give him feedback on how its working. If it works as well as he thinks he believes he'll be onto a great mod for the F-bikes. I'll post back here after fine tuning and testing the revalved shock...

Here's what it looked like when I got it back from Travis (same as when I sent it only cleaner ):

And a shot of the new reservoir with compression adjuster:

That looks like it might be the ticket-thanks.
This is my shock, and I think that my spring is ok; The spring coil is.560" which appears heavier than regular F650GS ones.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #7454
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
today i cleaned up the wire mess behind my headlight. man i took out about 90 percent of the wires from the harness! i was keeping the wiring harness and connectors all stock by just taping them up in case i ever sold the bike but i said forget it and run the few main wires i needed. i fried half the harness before anyway when i grounded a power lead.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #7455
Renaissanceman
DON'T PANIC!

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenstitches View Post
I had my stocker rebuilt here: http://www.sasquatchrider.com/

Pretty darned cheap compared to a new Ohlins, and he does offer an upgrade package as an option. Very fast turn around.