Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #7456
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissanceman View Post
I had my stocker rebuilt here: http://www.sasquatchrider.com/

Pretty darned cheap compared to a new Ohlins, and he does offer an upgrade package as an option. Very fast turn around.

Sasquatch rebuilt my rear shock last winter. Upgraded the valving, but kept the stock spring, since I'm about the right weight for it. Made a HUGE difference in the rear end feel of the bike. I don't hear the Titanic theme in my head whenever I get into the rough stuff anymore!

This winter's project is a set of Yamaha forks for the front end.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #7457
duroturk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Dirtbike mudguard for Dakar

Any opinions about such high fender?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304169

I am not a big fan of TT and instead of trying to build my own low fender, I was thinking to make something like this. It will be lighter than the original beak, looks better (for me) but the main question is;

Is it going to protect from the dirt?

Comments?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #7458
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
well it did come from a dirt bike lol
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #7459
duroturk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kito View Post
well it did come from a dirt bike lol
Well, yes. You are right but when it's Dakar I just can not be sure. My previous dirtbikes were not spitting that much of mud like Dakar even without any fender.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:21 AM   #7460
Benjah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I run a similar setup (though in black) and it works great. Just go for it. The stock guard looks dorky in my opinion. I drilled a bunch of holes in the rear part of the fender as it blocked some airflow to the radiator. The OEM guard has vents at the back to.
Benjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #7461
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,799
it looks great! looks more like a dirtbike now.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 AM   #7462
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
it must be a BMW thing to make the fender short/crap. After 10min of greenlaning on my x challenge you can no longer see the head light never mind light coming out of it . the x challenge fender has slots/holes in the back of the fender but this just lets mud into the rad so the fan comes on all the time.
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:37 AM   #7463
duroturk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kito View Post
the x challenge fender has slots/holes in the back of the fender but this just lets mud into the rad so the fan comes on all the time.
Yeah, this is one of my concerns...
Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #7464
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,355
Seat Concepts

Haven't posted on this thread for quite a while. Just replaced my seat with a completely new model from www.seatconcepts.com

Unbelievable. Real comfortable and a great design too. So far have about 400 miles on it.... highly recommend.

Basically the seat is thick, soft and comfortable where you need it and flattens out towards the back, so overall the seat is much easier to move around on. Made from the gripper material, very well made. I haven't noticed any difference in seat height from stock, so very close to the same overall height.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #7465
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duroturk View Post
A
Is it going to protect from the dirt?

Comments?
I replaced the stock beak fender on my Dakar with a similar high fender. I used a Polisport universal 2-piece unit.

The bike throws MUCH less dirt up from the front wheel than with the stock beak fender. I actually ruined a couple of face shields on my helmet in one weekend, riding on muddy roads with the stock fender. No such problems with the replacement.

You'll need to relocate the horn. I put mine on the right side of the downtube of the frame, next to the engine.

EDIT: photo of fender/horn setup

Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #7466
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post

I've got exactly the same kit sitting in my kitchen. Waiting for a fellow ADV inmate to come back from Virginia to help me with the fitting. He's got a Seat Concepts setup on his 950 Super Enduro, and he likes it too.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #7467
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,665
Quote:
Haven't posted on this thread for quite a while. Just replaced my seat with a completely new model from www.seatconcepts.com

Unbelievable. Real comfortable and a great design too. So far have about 400 miles on it.... highly recommend.

Basically the seat is thick, soft and comfortable where you need it and flattens out towards the back, so overall the seat is much easier to move around on. Made from the gripper material, very well made. I haven't noticed any difference in seat height from stock, so very close to the same overall height.
Are any special tools required to do the installation? Also, would you happen to you know the difference between the embossed cover and the gripper cover?

twinrider screwed with this post 02-15-2012 at 03:19 PM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #7468
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Are any special tools required to do the installation? Also, would you happen to you know the difference between the embossed cover and the gripper cover?
I didn't do the install, but watched. You need a powered staple gun with SS staples. I'm sure the kits come with instructions, I know you need to use adhesive to attach the foam to the seat pan... I've seen both materials, the embossed is smoother, and of course the gripper seat does just that. You can't slide back and forth. Keeps you in one place effectively.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #7469
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,665
Quote:
I didn't do the install, but watched. You need a powered staple gun with SS staples. I'm sure the kits come with instructions, I know you need to use adhesive to attach the foam to the seat pan... I've seen both materials, the embossed is smoother, and of course the gripper seat does just that. You can't slide back and forth. Keeps you in one place effectively.
Thanks for the info. Turns out they don't ship internationally, maybe I'll shoot them an email.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #7470
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Well the shock is out and on its way

Also reupholstered my seat as it was cracking up. Added a half inch of soft foam first, before recovering with high tack vinyl from diyupholstery-
75 Montesa 247
65 Norton 650ss
Bikenstitches is offline   Reply With Quote