Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #7666
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
Two seals on the rear.
Rear wheel hub seal is outside the bearing on the left side just lever it out gently with a screwdriver( the seal surface bush just pulls out), the sprocket carrier seal is on the right side outside the bearing and also runs on a bush ( #3 in the fiche) which needs to come out as well. This seal surface bush sits over the axle bush #8 and is a little harder to pull but should come out easy enough. Bearing replacement is not hard but they are knocked out in order from the outside to inside exiting at the cush drive, inner bearings first, then circlip, then outer bearings.

cheers

Mark
Thanks very much, this is also very helpful!
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #7667
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Handlebar switches

Thank you Parx400 for the info on highway dirtbike. Any other info about an mx throttle to use?
Do i need a custom cable to use? Any one have fitted a mx throttle. Part no and company name pls.
Thanks
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #7668
Azmo
beginner

Oddometer: 32
Hi,

i got some hella headlights (could not resist the temptation they were pretty cheap comparing to 'serious' 100$+ lights) and now i am looking for the wiring scheme as these lights are just light with brackets.
Do they go directly to the battery at one wire and to switch at another wire? How this pair of lights should be connected (parallel or one-after-another in the electrical chain)?

TIA
Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #7669
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Really hard to then match them from a book when the cross reference is wrong. I don't think I'll be able to find a brake lever..... anyone else
No luck for me either. I've got a couple of spare OEM levers.

Especially, no luck when I broke one off in rural Ontario, and went to 4 different dealers to try to find one.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #7670
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Kubiak I have ordered an aftermarket clutch lever ( part # says same as Husky WR & CR) waiting till it arrives to see if it does indeed fit. Should be here soon. The aftermarket listing for the brake lever was incorrect

Really hard to then match them from a book when the cross reference is wrong. I don't think I'll be able to find a brake lever..... anyone else

yea i had trouble getting aftermarket polished levers for my xr650l too, i must have ordered 4 levers and none fit. the bmw might be even harder to get. let me know how the husky lever goes. thanks!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #7671
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
No luck for me either. I've got a couple of spare OEM levers.

Especially, no luck when I broke one off in rural Ontario, and went to 4 different dealers to try to find one.
i was thinking since the brake is brembo maybe it might be easier but i havent gone to the dealer to check yet. and the clutch i might end up using a aftermarket lever assy. at the worse case i can polish the stockers i guess!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #7672
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
Thank you Parx400 for the info on highway dirtbike. Any other info about an mx throttle to use?
Do i need a custom cable to use? Any one have fitted a mx throttle. Part no and company name pls.
Thanks
I'd be looking at a Domino throttle. I'm not sure of a part number, but they make a "fast turn" and a "slow turn" version (1/8 and 1/4 turn). They seem to be the de facto standard on European dirt bikes at least. You want the 2-stroke version, which is a single pull cable, rather than the 4-stroke push-pull version.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #7673
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
I'd be looking at a Domino throttle. I'm not sure of a part number, but they make a "fast turn" and a "slow turn" version (1/8 and 1/4 turn). They seem to be the de facto standard on European dirt bikes at least. You want the 2-stroke version, which is a single pull cable, rather than the 4-stroke push-pull version.
I ordered one on these but have not put it on yet.No idea if the cable will work though.

http://www.ohsmotorsports.com/p-3645...rt-226385.aspx
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #7674
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
So I'm very close on pulling the trigger on a new Sertao and thought I would ask you fine gentleman your thoughts on the 650. From my research its a Dakar only without the name,
Is there anything that I should be warned about or any must have upgrades? Thanks

Ken
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #7675
TIGMaster
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Rear Fork Decal for Chain

What a pleasure to see the F650GS Dakars!!
I just repainted my '05 Dakar frame components and now require the unavailable schematic decal on the right side of the rear fork to show the chain adjustment. Can anyone please snap a high quality shot of this area up close and post it so that I can digitize it for a replacement? Tried the dealer and it's not available but a local sign shop says it can be done.

TIGMaster
TIGMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #7676
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,473
Most of us here like em, which is why we are here. There are farkles galore, but as is, the stock suspension is ok. Lot's of mods for that one simple or not so simple. Just changing the oil weight, I hear, helps with the forks. Or you can put on a YZ front end, and I believe there is a kit that lets you keep your ABS from someone here. Put on some knobbies and they are pretty good in the dirt, though no real dirtbike without some serious mods.

Personally, I did a 10k mile trip two-up a few years back. Had that thing loaded down The only thing was going through rear tires and breaking an excel rim. The rest of it performed great, but I ride it solo now.

Did they solve the water pump problem with the Sertao? Or at least make it easier to replace?

Lojack
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #7677
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Did they solve the water pump problem with the Sertao? Or at least make it easier to replace?
I think they at least re-routed the troublesome oil line, so it's easier to get the side cover off.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #7678
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Most of us here like em, which is why we are here. There are farkles galore, but as is, the stock suspension is ok. Lot's of mods for that one simple or not so simple. Just changing the oil weight, I hear, helps with the forks. Or you can put on a YZ front end, and I believe there is a kit that lets you keep your ABS from someone here. Put on some knobbies and they are pretty good in the dirt, though no real dirtbike without some serious mods.

Personally, I did a 10k mile trip two-up a few years back. Had that thing loaded down The only thing was going through rear tires and breaking an excel rim. The rest of it performed great, but I ride it solo now.

Lojack
Good info!! I will check in to both of those questions today and see. Can you expand on the water pump problems and the oil line accessibility problems?
2004 KTM 200 EXC

mtbdemon screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 03:21 PM
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #7679
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
So I'm very close on pulling the trigger on a new Sertao and thought I would ask you fine gentleman your thoughts on the 650. From my research its a Dakar only without the name,
Is there anything that I should be warned about or any must have upgrades? Thanks

Ken
Do it

If you can't get a deal on a pre owned Dakar

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #7680
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
Good info!! I will check in to both of those questions today and see. Can you expand on the water pump problems and the oil line accessibility problems?
Waterpump seals generally needs replacing every 30.000 km. You need to remove the clutch cover to do this and the oil pipe runs outside the rear part of the clutch cover, making it a hassle to get off and back on.
Pipe can be modified/ re routed when you do the first waterpump replacement and problem solved.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote