Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #7801
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
thats a great deal!
That it is!!

does anyone have any information about the front fork swap with a yz? looking to upgrade my suspension and heard that was my best bet.

racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #7802
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
That it is!!

does anyone have any information about the front fork swap with a yz? looking to upgrade my suspension and heard that was my best bet.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399113
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #7803
Dirt Rover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
haha!
i snagged it for $4500. includes lots of touratec extras. as well as tank bag and saddle bags, extra tires, 3 windscreens, and much much more.

Couldnt be happier. I will have this bike till i die, or it just completely blows up beyond repair.
That's a great deal...congrats, but I wish I would have found it first.

Keep us up to date on your adventure with replacing the forks...I'm thinking of doing that too.

...foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of the mind. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Dirt Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #7804
Dirt Rover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i had to trade my nice 03 1150gs for the dakar i have now. he was asking 4,900 with 17,000 miles and all stock so i did the deal.
...what's a little money for our enjoyment, right? The question is how much have you spent on it since you bought it? It's pretty obvious we have a serious group of tinkerers and upgraders here. I think it's genetically impossible for a Dakar rider to remain "stock".

...foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of the mind. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Dirt Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #7805
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Rover View Post
...what's a little money for our enjoyment, right? The question is how much have you spent on it since you bought it? It's pretty obvious we have a serious group of tinkerers and upgraders here. I think it's genetically impossible for a Dakar rider to remain "stock".
yes i would pay anything to keep riding. i dont have a whole lot invested in my dakar since i do everything in my shop but this one is a keeper for a long time.
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #7806
Notnewchevy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Question snorkel/airbox

Hey all,
So I have read about this on f650.com. But not real clear on how to do it and if this would cause problems riding in the rain. I don't want to fill up my airfilter/airbox with water. I live in AK and riding in the rain will happen. Is this a mod worth doing? Does it make the bike to loud. Does anyone have pictures of what they did. Is this worth doing even if I don't have an exhaust yet?
Just getting my bike prepped for the season and wondering if this is a mod to add to my to do list.
Sorry for the confusion.
Yes the snorkel cut off mod. Where to cut the snorkle and is it something worth doing? If it doesn't help horsepower no need to do it right. As for making it louder> I do want more sound from this bike but want it coming out of the tail pipe not the intake.

Notnewchevy screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 11:44 PM Reason: not coherent enough
Notnewchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #7807
rmarkr
Squatter

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notnewchevy View Post
Hey all,
So I have read about this on f650.com. But not real clear on how to do it and if this would cause problems riding in the rain. I don't want to fill up my airfilter/airbox with water. I live in AK and riding in the rain will happen. Is this a mod worth doing? Does it make the bike to loud. Does anyone have pictures of what they did. Is this worth doing even if I don't have an exhaust yet?
Just getting my bike prepped for the season and wondering if this is a mod to add to my to do list.
What mod?
rmarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #7808
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
First camping trip since upgrades...

...to bring my 03 Dakar back from the dead (YZ front end, 18/21 black Excel rims from Woody's, Pro Taper bars, Cycra handguards, RC-51 pipe, ABS removal, PivotPegz, etc.). Bike just turned over 75K.

A buddy and I camped at Pigeon Mountain and explored around N GA all weekend and the bike did really well loaded.

Photo with in-camera HDR filter applied from Hood Overlook on Pigeon Mountain: (click photo to open gallery of other shots from the weekend, mostly with HDR filter applied because I'm playing with this feature on my new camera)

BTW, this was the same bike before the wreck (around 2008):
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #7809
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notnewchevy View Post
Hey all,
I'm going to assume you're talking about cutting the snorkel off a couple of inches in front of the filter.

I did it to my bike years ago, and to be honest I didn't notice any sort of difference except that it "growls" a little more than it used to. I have ridden through some insane rains with it, though, and had no issues at all.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #7810
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke View Post
I'm going to assume you're talking about cutting the snorkel off a couple of inches in front of the filter.

I did it to my bike years ago, and to be honest I didn't notice any sort of difference except that it "growls" a little more than it used to. I have ridden through some insane rains with it, though, and had no issues at all.
mine if cut off too and i riveted a piece of bent aluminum in front of it just in case it rains hard. it also quieted down the little growl i got from it.
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #7811
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Are any of you single spark guys running a power commander or Fuel Nanny still? It seems like no one but me is. I don't think my 2002 has ever been re programmed and it had major stumble issues when I got it. The fuel nanny fixed it. I wonder if the reprogram would be enough to get ride of the Fuel Nanny. I'm not adding very much gas with it.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #7812
PhilzLeads
Goin' mobile

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Are any of you single spark guys running a power commander or Fuel Nanny still? It seems like no one but me is. I don't think my 2002 has ever been re programmed and it had major stumble issues when I got it. The fuel nanny fixed it. I wonder if the reprogram would be enough to get ride of the Fuel Nanny. I'm not adding very much gas with it.
This '01 runs best with an Iridium plug. When I first got it, it was rough. The plug changed that. Every now and then, coming to a stop it will stall. No fuel nanny or anything else on it.
Yamaha 360(sold) Kaw H2 750(sold) Kaw KZ1000(sold) Ducati 900SS CR(sold)
....and the struggle for the legal tender....
PhilzLeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #7813
Benjah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
yeah iridium plug here (2001 Dakar) and no problem with stalling
Benjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #7814
Odin69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Here's some pictures from a trip I did last year on my 03 Dakar.

Montana

Idaho

Oregon

Old 04-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #7815
PhilzLeads
Goin' mobile

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Here's some pictures from a trip I did last year on my 03 Dakar.

Sweeeet ! Love the Jesse Cases....they are Jesse right? Did you have them put on or buy them with the bike?
Yamaha 360(sold) Kaw H2 750(sold) Kaw KZ1000(sold) Ducati 900SS CR(sold)
....and the struggle for the legal tender....
PhilzLeads is offline   Reply With Quote