User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #8251
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,477
I've got the HDB mirrors.

It takes some fittling to with the angle of the guards themselves to get the mirrors in a position that's useful when extended. They are stable on the highway as they are essentially in 1 position.

If my Aprilia didn't already have Double-Take mirrors, I'd buy the HDB ones.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #8252
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
I have them. You need to use his bar clamp since the hand guard mounts there. I have not ridden with them yet but its all high quality stuff.
Yeah, that's what I was wondering Does it (the bar clamp) fit our bikes or are the hole patterns off

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #8253
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,477
Paul at HDB is all about customer service. I believe he does have a clamp for our bikes. My bike has the TT/WP forks and shock. It has a clamp that's totally different than anything else. He had a clamp made for me, no extra charge. Just took a bit longer.

Can't argue with that.

The guards themselves are perfectly suited to a heavy bike like ours.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #8254
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
I use the HDB guards/mirrors also. They have been on the bike for like 7-8 years now. I have beaten the crap out of them with no problems. Paul even remarked that he should upgrade mine since they were so old!
Mirrors work great on highway speeds and fold in very nice and easy for trails. I have a Yammie fork so just use the stock top clamp for those, but he does make (and usually stocks) the top clamp for the stock F fork.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #8255
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
im cleaning up my wires and harness on my 02 dakar and was wondering if there is a trick to disable all the safety switches like the clutch and sidestand. on my honda xr i just grounded one wire and it diabled all the switches and i could remove them but not sure on the dakar. i did the sidestand already by cutting and connecting two wires.
Would think they all come together somewhere so that approach sounds like a possibility. I've also removed the sidestand switch since it meltet against the exhaust and only caused problems. Don't really feel the need to remove the clutch switch though. What you're never going to start it in gear with the clutch out anyway

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #8256
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Appreciate the info, only concern I had was one review on Amazon mentioned they "grind and make noise at certain speeds."

Did you stick with stock gearing? I mostly ride on road including lots of super slab.
I've always used JT sprockets and never felt anything was wrong witht them. They wear and must be replaced with the chain at about 15-18.000km (at least for me). Grinding sound comes from the chain when it's worn out. At least that's my experience. New chain and the grinding noise disappeared.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #8257
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany23 View Post
Okay: homework.
F650 GS Dakar, from 2000. 75,000kms. Back and forth from Romania to Mongolia. Aged rear shock absorber SPRING. It's the OEM shock absorber, from Showa. Can it be replaced? Budget is low. Mabye something from Hyperpro? Any insight is apreciated. anyone selling an old shock absorber?
Thanks!
Mihai
After all those km's you'd be best off having it replaced or at least serviced if that's an option.
I'd give you my old one, but I'm afraid it's already been around the world once and is lacking about 5cm worth of static sag in gas after a El cheapo repair of a worn out top bushing.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #8258
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany23 View Post
Thanks, but we reside in Romania, Europe. Plus, we need it fixed in two weeks. The shock is fine, the spring has literally 'aged' after 75,000 kms, most of them in the Mongolian stepe. A new TT shock is 550 Euros, but springs are much cheaper.
Thanks,
Mihai
You probably have a motocross shop in Romania ? I know when I bought my Öhlins the suspension guy just ordered component and built the whole shock from the ground up hence it should be possible to just buy the spring too I'm pretty sure an MX shop would be a good place to start

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #8259
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post

added a new rack today, got it off a ktm950sm for 10 bucks. weighs 1 lbs so not bad.
I'm seriously considering just shipping my bike over to you cause I know I'll never be able to get mine anywhere near how pretty your is. Filth I tell you.

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #8260
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
I use the HDB guards/mirrors also. They have been on the bike for like 7-8 years now. I have beaten the crap out of them with no problems. Paul even remarked that he should upgrade mine since they were so old!
Mirrors work great on highway speeds and fold in very nice and easy for trails. I have a Yammie fork so just use the stock top clamp for those, but he does make (and usually stocks) the top clamp for the stock F fork.
Alright, sweet. Thanks guys. So just specify that they are for a GS when ordering then.
Now to figure out if can make them work with the new headlight and home made dash (that has to fit both IMO computer and Zumo 660) and actually have it look half decent.....

Anyone tried this by the way ?

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #8261
Lone Wolf 48
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
"Faux" Tank tabs

Hello,
I have a G650GS 2009 (my first BMW ) like the bike very much. To date I have had the Steering head bearings changed (12200 kms) and the rear shock absorber changed twice. Once for scratches appearing on the shock body and the second for a leak 1000kms later.
The question I have is in the 3 panels that cover the battery, oil, water containers and air box, I have one of the location tabs broken and have tried sticking it with "Superglue" and Epoxy Resin glue neither of which were successful.

Anybody had any experience of this and what repair was used?

Brgds to all in this excellent thread
Lone Wolf 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #8262
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf 48 View Post
Hello,
I have a G650GS 2009 (my first BMW ) like the bike very much. To date I have had the Steering head bearings changed (12200 kms) and the rear shock absorber changed twice. Once for scratches appearing on the shock body and the second for a leak 1000kms later.
The question I have is in the 3 panels that cover the battery, oil, water containers and air box, I have one of the location tabs broken and have tried sticking it with "Superglue" and Epoxy Resin glue neither of which were successful.

I always used quick setting JBWeld and a small piece of fiberglass tape. Never had an issue with any of the repairs.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #8263
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
use a slodering iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf 48 View Post
Hello,

I have used a soldering iron to repair my plastics with pretty good sucsess. If you can find some doner plasic of the same consistancy you can use the slodering iron to build up the damaged area from behind. If done right it can be sanded and painted to look like new.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #8264
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 585
has anyone had any luck with any particular windscreen for taller riders? im looking for something that will direct wind over me, and also will cut back on buffeting. (i have slight neck issues so it hurts me.) i have the cee bailys and a lip, but thats not enough...

Also looking for a steering stabalizer if anyone has one... Thanks!
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #8265
Will Hesch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Sprocket changes for better low end?

I'm new here, just picked up a pristine '05 Dakar with barely over 3,000 miles. I love it, it's a great bike, been a while since I've been on a thumper, my last one was a '76 Yamaha XT 500, loved that bike.

I'm a little disappointed with the first gear/low end/off the line performance of the Dakar. I've got the stock 16/47 sprockets and was wondering if simply changing the front to a 15 would get the job done? I'm looking for a more "trail" paced first gear and don't mind a few more revs at highway speeds (65-70 mph). It's just disconcerting to let out the clutch from a stop and be going 15 mph before hitting 3,000 rpm!

I don't mind going up a tooth or two on the rear sprocket but was curious if only the front would do.

Thanks so much, Will
Will Hesch is offline   Reply With Quote