Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #8296
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon M View Post
Hey all...about a month and a half ago I picked up an '02 Dakar (42k miles, ohlin rear, stock bags, etc...) I've put ~1,500 miles on it now and am LOVING the bike. Do have a couple little things I'm working out I thought you guys might have a good recommendation on:

1) The horn switch & high-beam flasher both don't work. I tested the horn switch (on the bars) today and with the multimeter can see it open/close, can't test the high beam flasher in the same way as I can't get in there, but everything else on that control works (turn signals, high beam on/off) so I'm wondering if those two are wired together into the same "multi-function" switch in the box? Wondering if anyone knows.

2) on the far right hand side of the dash (off in that empty space) there's a LED there that's normally green with the bike on and running, but seems to be red when the ignition switch is on, but the bike is off, is that an alternator LED or something?

3) Sometimes (not all the time, but SOMEtimes) when I turn the ignition on the bike, the gauge cluster doesn't light up, no tach, no headlight, nothing. If I turn it off and back on enough after this it'll work normally, but it's just often enough to make me a little concerned with some of the long trips I plan to take. Would hate for an "occasional problem" to turn into a BIG problem. It doesn't seem to be related to the side-stand (can happen with SS up or down), but I'm wondering if maybe replacing the SS switch might be the 1st place to start? Figured maybe someone here had had the same issue, and might be able to give me a heads up.

TIA
  1. You need to open up the LHS cluster and prperly clean and grease all contact points. All the switches have separate wiring
  2. You may be referring to the oil pressure/ charging combo. It's the one that stays on for a few seconds after you turn the key and the goes away when the oil pressure is ok (don't start the bike until this lights goes away)
  3. Again, open and clean. I had to replace the bottom part on my ignintion last yesr because it was worn out after roughly the same milage and age as yours

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #8297
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by manybike View Post
Installed a Fumoto Quick valve on my Dakar yesterday. Pretty easy to do as it was time for an oil change anyway.
Some things to note, the valve comes with a fibre crush washer, after installation my valve was weeping from one side. I believe it was due to the fibre washer being just slightly bigger than the recess where the old bolt and copper washer used to go.
So, I took the empty oil containers that I had just used to fill the bike and used the Fumoto to drain back into them...pretty slick!
I then took the valve out and replaced the fibre crush washer with an OEM copper one, I also put a bit of permatex thread sealer on the threads. Snugged the Fumoto back up, put my oil back in and went for a test ride...no more leaks.
I was real careful not to over tighten when I put the valve back in with the copper crush washer, I went maybe an 1/8 of a turn past contact and that is as far as it really wanted to go...I didn't use much force as I was paranoid about stripping threads.

Here are some photos
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
So which of the Fumotos was the winner ? I seem to recall ou guys ordering two different ones.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #8298
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
re-chrome fork surface to alleviate leaks?

Keep blowing fork seals to on 2002 Dakar / Im 220 and ride hard. Some bottoming out but wonder if the fork surface is helping. Short term plan is to rebuild/progressive/15w front w/465 progressive rear and keep or hand that down to my girl and do the full YZ /Rad swap over
so back to main topic. Can the aging chrome surface on the forks be weakening the fork seals, and if so would a re-chrome do he trick?
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #8299
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Keep blowing fork seals to on 2002 Dakar / Im 220 and ride hard. Some bottoming out but wonder if the fork surface is helping. Short term plan is to rebuild/progressive/15w front w/465 progressive rear and keep or hand that down to my girl and do the full YZ /Rad swap over
so back to main topic. Can the aging chrome surface on the forks be weakening the fork seals, and if so would a re-chrome do he trick?
Do you see flaws in the chrome (corrosion, dings or nicks)? If so, the fork finish could be factor. But those who have switched Honda fork seals report they last much longer. Honda part No. 51490-MN8-305
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #8300
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Do you see flaws in the chrome (corrosion, dings or nicks)? If so, the fork finish could be factor. But those who have switched Honda fork seals report they last much longer. Honda part No. 51490-MN8-305
Details or a write up on this?? Going to be ordering new seals on tuesday.
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #8301
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Details or a write up on this?? Going to be ordering new seals on tuesday.
The link's acting a bit weird, go to this and scroll up: http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/ForksMaintF...rk Seal Change
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #8302
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Thx. Some nicks and corrosion pimples from being left at ocean. I'll try and polish away and see if new seals will do it. ... Maybe I just need to go on a diet
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #8303
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 780
For the mean time you can put some super glue in the nicks, then lightly buff them down.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #8304
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
So which of the Fumotos was the winner ? I seem to recall ou guys ordering two different ones.
I ordered the FG6, which is what the sales rep recommended.
On their website they give a different model but the FG6 matches the bolt size which is 24mm x 2mm.
It screwed in smooth, no issues.
I am a little concerned about a brass fitting going into aluminum...I am assuming that Fumoto has done something to prevent the two metals from reacting and corroding.

72 Yamaha 350 street 92 R100GS
07 Versys 08 WR250X ST1300

manybike screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 01:27 PM
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #8305
Dragon M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
  1. You need to open up the LHS cluster and prperly clean and grease all contact points. All the switches have separate wiring
  2. You may be referring to the oil pressure/ charging combo. It's the one that stays on for a few seconds after you turn the key and the goes away when the oil pressure is ok (don't start the bike until this lights goes away)
  3. Again, open and clean. I had to replace the bottom part on my ignintion last yesr because it was worn out after roughly the same milage and age as yours
Thanks! I'll look into that...as for the LED I mentioned it's actually off the cluster above the power socket, it's the dusty looking thing in this photo (probably should have cleaned it first) up to the right of the power socket.

Dragon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #8306
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon M View Post
Thanks! I'll look into that...as for the LED I mentioned it's actually off the cluster above the power socket, it's the dusty looking thing in this photo (probably should have cleaned it first) up to the right of the power socket.

Thats not stock as far as I know. Neither my 01 or a friends 02 have the light...
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #8307
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Looks like the daisy chain connector for another acc plug. Mine is white tho
divimon2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #8308
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Hey, I just brought home a 2002 Dakar, which was living in a lonely old barn and now it has a loving home.

The old girl cleaned up pretty nicely. Spent all weekend with her clothes off and me poking and prodding all over her soft parts. I rubbed and rubbed and I think she liked it. Then I rode her like a rented mule and we both made happy sounds.

I think this could be the beginning of a long and meaningful relationship.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #8309
mike650gs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hi all...I have a '07 F650gs and im looking for some info on the accessory socket wiring. I seem to remember in the past when I have my gps hooked up and I turned my ignition off, the gps would turn off. But i'm hooking it up again for the first time this season and it stays on after I turn the ignition off. I imagine this is a relay connection somewhere that is not working properly, but do any of you know a good place to start?
mike650gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #8310
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
I must say the Magura 312 throttle maybe one of the best mods I did to this bike. Take out all that slop and have a quick action throttle is great on this bike.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote