Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #8416
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
The 19 inch front is really nice. It gives the bike a little motard feeling. I have the stock 17 inch rear with the 19 both have TKC80's. I also have a 21/18 set up. I got the 19 inch set up for 120 bucks. If you have YZ forks and are using the YZ wheel, you can go to flattrack.com or craigs list and search for 19 inch yz flat track front wheel. You will find used ones. If you are using the stock BMW front wheel you can buy a 19 inch off a non dakar F650.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #8417
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
The 19 inch front is really nice. It gives the bike a little motard feeling. I have the stock 17 inch rear with the 19 both have TKC80's. I also have a 21/18 set up. I got the 19 inch set up for 120 bucks. If you have YZ forks and are using the YZ wheel, you can go to flattrack.com or craigs list and search for 19 inch yz flat track front wheel. You will find used ones. If you are using the stock BMW front wheel you can buy a 19 inch off a non dakar F650.
Im thinking of doing the same thing. Either go with a 19/17 with TKC's or get 19/17 with street tires and 21/17 with dirt tires. I like to be able to go at the drop of a hat though. Probably gonna do 19/17 with TKC's just so I can go somewhere without having to change wheels.

Does anyone have a centerstand (preferably on a Dakar but a regular GS would probably do) who could take some pics and measurements for me?? Want to try building a centerstand, cant find any pictures of the left side. Everyone seems to take pics of the centerstand on the right side. Im trying to figure out why the left side of the stand is offset so much more than the right. Measurements I need are length, width at the feet, and distance from center of the mounting bolts to center of the cross brace. Thanks.
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #8418
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Few new pics.

How do you like that skidplate?? Enough room in it?? Starting to make a pattern to try and build one. More than likely going to do side boxes on mine though. Would like enough room to keep tools, irons, tube and a few little sundries like rags and a small tube of loctite. Wondering though if something like that TT one would be better.
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #8419
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Charcoal canister ports

I'm putting my bike back together after having the back half disassembled for the last seven months. There is a port on the underside of the charcoal canister that I can't seem to figure out what it's for or where it goes. No extra hoses flopping around or in my parts bucket. Unable to decipher it through parts fiche drawings or my CD.

Anyone know what it's purpose is? Maybe it's just an overflow drain? If I fill up the tank is it going to start leaking gas?

Thanks, Lojack
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #8420
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
How do you like that skidplate?? Enough room in it?? Starting to make a pattern to try and build one. More than likely going to do side boxes on mine though. Would like enough room to keep tools, irons, tube and a few little sundries like rags and a small tube of loctite. Wondering though if something like that TT one would be better.
The skid plate is really nice cause it comes with new lower bars that are much higher. you can move it all the up till its hitting head pipe. I need to mod the rear and make it step up in the back like the really bikes had.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #8421
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
I must say the Magura 312 throttle maybe one of the best mods I did to this bike. Take out all that slop and have a quick action throttle is great on this bike.
Looking into this mod. It seems you thinks its definetly worthwhile?
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #8422
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
you must be special Gravel Seeker....my '02 has 24mm as well
alright I give up

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #8423
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
hey guys, if im using a vapor speedometer so do i need my speed sensor on my rear wheel hooked up still? does it do anything else besides signaling the stock speedo like computer functions or anything?thanks in advance!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #8424
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,454
It controls the ABS, but you haven't got that. The ECU may need the reading for it. Its not clear on the diagram. There should be a connector for it somewhere that you can try to unplug.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #8425
Sparqq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Someone told me that the idle RPM is kept higher when it the bike is rolling, to keep the thumper smooth. Maybe the Vapor can use the speedo pulse?
Sparqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #8426
Baams
n00bs FTW

Oddometer: 35
Wink Footpeg relocation kit

Hi

Anybody have a alternative to the TT Footpeg relocation kit? I really don't want to go that way ;)
Baams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #8427
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
hey guys, if im using a vapor speedometer so do i need my speed sensor on my rear wheel hooked up still? does it do anything else besides signaling the stock speedo like computer functions or anything?thanks in advance!
If you look at some of the Rallye bikes they do not have it in place.

How did you hook up the tach on your vapor?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #8428
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Chain SLider on swing arm

Does anyone know if the chain slider on the swing arm fits other bikes? I plan on changing it before I do the tat and wanted to get a better quality one.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #8429
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,239
Aftermarket Shocks

Anyone have feedback opinions on Ohlins/Wilbers/etc. aftermarket shocks for the Dakar? After my weekend in Ontario and Quebec on the bike, it's clear the rear shock is the weak link. Trying to decide whether it's worth sending the stock shock back to Sasquatch for some more rebuilding and a heavier spring, or to bite the bullet and plunk down the $$$ for aftermarket. It's scary feeling the bike bottoming out in the fast whooped-out stuff.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #8430
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
Anyone have feedback opinions on Ohlins/Wilbers/etc. aftermarket shocks for the Dakar? After my weekend in Ontario and Quebec on the bike, it's clear the rear shock is the weak link. Trying to decide whether it's worth sending the stock shock back to Sasquatch for some more rebuilding and a heavier spring, or to bite the bullet and plunk down the $$$ for aftermarket. It's scary feeling the bike bottoming out in the fast whooped-out stuff.
Extra long hyperpro. Gives the bike 10 inches of good rear travel. The rear will keep up with the front just fine. It cost more but its worth it for the extra height and travel.