Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #841
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten
It doesn't make sence to be clogged hoses if it happens at the same RPM at random moments.

Sounds electronic to me. I take it you've rebooted the computer properly and you have a fresh battery? Just the fact that it measures 12v doesn't mean it's good. And is it a maintenance free one?

BTW, what RPM's are you getting that this occurs? Speed is not an accurate indicator.

FWIW, my 07 model started surging, something normally associated to the older models. I had just replaced the battery (AGM one) without result. Turned out the sparkplugs were sufficiently fault and/or the caps were very dirty. Sprayed some electric cleaner into it. Brushed it out, and replaced with iridium plug and it running fine now. The plugs looked fine, but they had 20000km on them, so why not replace.

It's a performance motor with one of the first FI systems used on dualsport bikes, so good conductivity is key. Any dirty contact points and it can struggle. Electric current does not neccesarily flow uniform through the rev ranges either from what I understand. I guess I'm saying, have a looky though all you ignition connections and go around them with the spray bottle. I know it's a lot of disembly to get to most off them, but no worse than doing the valves.
I must say, one of the most lucid and accurate posts I've read on this forum.
If it doesn't solve the problem, no matter. I had a Ducati 907ie (fuel injection) and time after time surging, sputtering and total shutdown occured because of electrical problems. Corrosion,because it was an older bike, but definite sensitivity to clean electrical connections. Relays were especially sensitive.

Make sure you disconnect the battery, then go through all the connectors and clean.
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #842
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,159
Sorry if some felt the vent hose thought was misleading for this problem. All I can say is my bike would start to stagger at about 200 miles into a run on the tank unless I opened the fuel tank in which it responded w/ a big "weeze" which caused me to check the vent hoses. After they were replaced all seems well.

2008 YAMAHA FJR for sale: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973852
pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #843
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,800
Tire pressure...

I posted this over at Chain Gang, but thought I'd consult the ADV brain trust as well:

For the past 1.5 years and 40K+ miles I've run Mefo Explorer 99s on my 03 Dakar, but over the weekend I installed some more aggressive DOT knobbies (D606 rear/MT21 front) that had been collecting cobwebs and getting old in the garage. A 50+ mile ride on muddy FS roads confirmed the value of these tires vs. the Explorers for these conditions because the Mefos would've loaded up with the stick mud and become unmanageable. Actually, I'd probably have gone down a couple of times in some of the slop I rode thru with Mefos, but thanks to the extra bite of the knobbies, especially the MT21 front, the old gal handled it all in stride!

However, I just can't get past the loud howling of the more aggressive new shoes at speed on the street. Maybe the Mefos have spoiled me a bit as they are eerily silent compared to these on the road.

I'm running 30 psi in the rear 606 and 27 psi in the front Pirelli, which is about what I was using in the Mefos.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a magic psi combo that'll negate some of the on-road howl for a heavy bike like my Dakar using this tire combo? I'm not averse to airing up and down at the trailhead if need be as I always carry a compressor and air guage.

I really want to love these tires, and could live with the shorter longevity of the knobbies if they weren't do damned loud. BTW, the Dunlop rear is much louder than the Pirelli front.

Any suggestions from those with experience running these tires will be greatly appreciated.

New shoes:
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #844
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS
I have no solution for your tire howling, but I did want to ask whose chain guide and brake pedal that is on your bike?
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #845
mothra
Rally Driver

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333
I have no solution for your tire howling, but I did want to ask whose chain guide and brake pedal that is on your bike?
Those look like the TT bits, same as the ones on my dakar.

I think you could get away with higher pressure on the road and it may quiet things down a bit. Nobbies are just loud on the highway. I have run 32 in my karoos on the higher and as little as 15 in the sand with no issue.

'02 F650GS Dakar (looking for an NC plated endure to lighten the load)
mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #846
GSBS
FunHog

Yeah, TT stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333
Chain guard - TT painted later with rattlecan pickup bedliner
Chain guide - TT rubber (works great)
Footpegs/brake - TT footpeg relocation kit (moves pegs back about 2 inches and down slightly - requires the included shorter brake pedal and shifter to compensate)
Old 09-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #847
Salt fever
this is gonna hurt

Oddometer: 60
another good thread

has changed again a bit since this was taken
Old 09-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #848
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,059
Here's some of mine and my freinds Dakars. Both have been a little modified...

Sheps:

Mine:

Later-

Matto
Old 09-15-2009, 02:13 AM   #849
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS
Footpegs/brake - TT footpeg relocation kit (moves pegs back about 2 inches and down slightly - requires the included shorter brake pedal and shifter to compensate)
And the TT rallye footpeg kit is hands down the best upgrade you can make for off-pavement, riding standing up. Add bar risers aswell and you're golden !

my 0,02

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:32 AM   #850
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,005
I run D606`s yer their noisy . I think the only way you can fix it is ride more off road . I drop the pressures to 15 psi when things get slippery & about 22 psi when on asphalt . Seems to me the knobs shread a bit easier with higher pressure on the road .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:39 AM   #851
Pedaler
Shop Rag

Oddometer: 85
Wanting to remove the bowling ball from the front.

Hey All! I'm curious as to any mods to remove the stock headlight and instrument cluster. Its heavy...you cant see past it very well...and its ugly. Show me those hack jobs!
the best they'll feel all day. Dean Martin
Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #852
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaler
Hey All! I'm curious as to any mods to remove the stock headlight and instrument cluster. Its heavy...you cant see past it very well...and its ugly. Show me those hack jobs!

There's lots of pics of these earlier in the thread. Take a look at page 33 for a couple of them. Then go backwards from there.
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #853
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
ABS Switch problems

Hello all,

Love my '07, lots of fun, however will be on my THIRD ABS switch when #3 arrives from Germany (warranty)...anyone else had problems not being able to turn the ABS off when hittin' the dirt?
I'm not that good a rider so need all the help possible....ABS on dirt can be scary (if you ride fast....and aren't very good)
Attached Images

yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #854
GSBS
FunHog

ABS switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatman
Hello all,

Love my '07, lots of fun, however will be on my THIRD ABS switch when #3 arrives from Germany (warranty)...anyone else had problems not being able to turn the ABS off when hittin' the dirt?
I'm not that good a rider so need all the help possible....ABS on dirt can be scary (if you ride fast....and aren't very good)
The switch on my 03 Dakar has always been finicky and sometimes requires me to hold it down for several seconds before it engages. Also, sometimes it seems not to want to turn off the ABS unless I rock the bike forward and backwards an inch or two.

YRMV
Old 09-20-2009, 04:02 AM   #855
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,448
Yeah. They're pretty shit.

Borrowed this picture.....

Exposed solder connections and everything. Try spraying some electrical cleaner into them. Should do it. All it does is close the circuit for a few seconds telling the ECU to turn it off. Any switch that does that will work. Or you can short it.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote