Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #8566
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
If it's a 'Merican bike, fuel overflow goes to the charcoal canister on the lower left side of the tank. There is a port at the bottom of it where I think it ultimately vents. Not sure it that'd be it, then. Unless Parx is lucky enough to have a euro/TT tank
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Alot of bikes have had the historectomy though, they probably needs an overflow
Since he said it followed the frame and then went up and under the seat I figure it couldn't be the battery since the battery overflow continues all the way up the frame under the faux tank. Unless he's moved the battery to behind the engine ofcourse....
Only overflow hoses to ground I know of anyway is the battery and fuel. Then you have the crank vent hose emptying into the airbox and the oil/ water drain from the airbox which is a little short hose with a plug.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:32 AM   #8567
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Has anyone managed to get the vapor tachometer working with the stock wiring? Mine is all over the place. According to the installation sheet that came with it, it reckons that you can simply hook the wire into the power wire of the spark plug cap, which according to the diagram is parrallel to the wire to the dash, which is where I hooked it in.

On a side note, my ABS light is working as it should. Ive hooked it to the wire that runs into the clock side of the instrument cluster. I've munched up my own harness though. Because its lighting up the low fuel light. The actual low fuel light doesn't seem to come off, now I've fully fueled it. I'll have to look into that later.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #8568
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparqq View Post
I'm not familiar with the term steering lock, so can you explain the question?
AFAIK, where the forks stop against the frame. USD forks can't turn as far, so I think are said to have less. Or something like that. It's usually not a problem unless you are in tight woods(where I've never really taken mine) or miss a turn.

Taco, I think that's a common issue with Trailtech tachs, but I don't know how to resolve it. Gotta be someone here that knows.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #8569
BMacW650

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
Has anyone managed to get the vapor tachometer working with the stock wiring? Mine is all over the place. According to the installation sheet that came with it, it reckons that you can simply hook the wire into the power wire of the spark plug cap, which according to the diagram is parrallel to the wire to the dash, which is where I hooked it in.

On a side note, my ABS light is working as it should. Ive hooked it to the wire that runs into the clock side of the instrument cluster. I've munched up my own harness though. Because its lighting up the low fuel light. The actual low fuel light doesn't seem to come off, now I've fully fueled it. I'll have to look into that later.

You can always jump the plug under seat to test the fuel light.

I can never get my vapor to read out tach. I just gave up in the end.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #8570
Sparqq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
@LoJack

I didn't experience yet any problems with that. I didn't measure the difference in steering angle. Biggest problem with WP USD forks is the stick slip.
Sparqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #8571
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650 View Post
You can always jump the plug under seat to test the fuel light.

I can never get my vapor to read out tach. I just gave up in the end.
That sucks. It's the main reason I got the vapor. Did you get any help from trail tech?
Old 06-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #8572
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:

i tried to hook up the vapor to the sparkplug wire too and had the same crazy readings so i disconnected it. was wondering if it can use the stock tach wire to the stock dash?
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #8573
BMacW650

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
That sucks. It's the main reason I got the vapor. Did you get any help from trail tech?
One guy on the chain gang site had it working on his Funduro. Like I said, I just sort of gave up on that.

I assume you already know about the PPM setting on the vapor.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #8574
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Well, I know about it. Not really to much more than that. The manual is very basic.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #8575
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,483
Vapor.

Rmarkr said he got his to work off the stock dash wire. I tired this but it did not work

Have you guys tried the wire off the spark plug wire?
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #8576
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

The diagram show this light circuit in parrallel with the signal wire for the BMS to the coil. So I dont see how it shouldn't work. Did he say what settings he used on the vapor?
Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #8577
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,483
Nope. Mine did nothing for most of my ride then started showing idle at 800 and never went above 2900 when I was on the gas. The guys at trail tech said it runs on pulse not voltage. That's why you wrap it around the spark plug wire or you tap into the spark plug wire after the coil.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #8578
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Could you scavenge a pulse clamp off a timing light?
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #8579
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

I haven't research how the coil operates itself, but given you (according to option 3 in their manual) install the wire into the existing 'tach wire' as they call it I don't understand how it would differ to put the positive lead onto the positive wire into the cap.

Has anyone tried wrapping it around the coil itself (option 4 in their manual). We haven't got a scew cap I don't think, so creativity on how to hold it in place long term would need to be worked out.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #8580
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Big Sky Ride

Just a quick note as to how satisfied I have been with my 2001 F650 GS Dakar over the years. I rushed out and bought one right off. I corrected the fuel injection issues by ignoring the German engineers and using Regular fuel...no hiccups, no pauses, no stalls. I use Royal Purple, K/N, good nobby tires and cruise at 75 all day long with my wife at 75-80 mpg.
Here is a picture of my best girl today as we cruised up to Big Sky and enjoyed all the back roads.

Ham is offline   Reply With Quote