Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #8596
rdalland
Dharma Bun

Oddometer: 329
Front wheel ABS sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
I think I am chasing a different issue right now. The ABS seems to cut out at low RPM's. If I keep the RPM's above 3k, everything seems to be fine. The rear sensor is bone dry. I have a new battery on order, the old one is in questionable condition and it was time to replace it anyway. When it arrives I will have a thorough look at all the connections and wiring for damage. I cleaned some rust from the front sensor ring, I don't know if that is an issue or not.
Looks like the front wheel ABS sensor was the problem. The middle of the connector was broken clean through. When the wire flexed, it created an intermittent fault. Frustrating to locate for sure. I super-glued the break and it seems to be working fine, but it is a temporary fix for sure. If anyone has a front wheel sensor they are willing to part with, please let me know.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #8597
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
What is the thing in the red circle for?

For winding up the engine

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #8598
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
i found out if you turn it clockwise you lose power so i turned it all the way out and now my bike wheelies in 5th gear.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #8599
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
GS to Dakar

Alright, building out my GF's 2002 F650GS (Single) into a Dakar for my brother to ride on our Baja Trip. I have the front forks, 21" wheel, rear Dakar shock, and Dakar seat. Is there anything else I need to change out? I know the chain roller is not on her bike, but does it matter? Kinda like having the options to go Dakar and back to std GS for visitors anyway. Hopefully she'll keep it Dakar w/her low seat.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #8600
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Wave rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromedic View Post
Been very happy with the Galfer wave rotors
Where did you get yours from? This old link still seems cheap compared to Pashnit.

http://www.cyclebrakes.net/df663flwfront.aspx
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #8601
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Is there anything else I need to change out? I know the chain roller is not on her bike, but does it matter?
Aren't you forgetting the $400 decals? ;-)

Just guessing on the roller, but isn't it there because the greater shock travel needs more chain slack? I'd watch the area to see that the chain isn't digging into the frame or swingarm. Even with the roller i noticed some decent gashes from riding with excess slack in the chain...
Old 07-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #8602
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
That's a twin spark in the picture so the extra plug is doing that electrically. The handle has been reconfigured to wind up the massager under the seat...
Old 07-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #8603
nomad5326
Xventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
Aren't you forgetting the $400 decals? ;-)

Just guessing on the roller, but isn't it there because the greater shock travel needs more chain slack? I'd watch the area to see that the chain isn't digging into the frame or swingarm. Even with the roller i noticed some decent gashes from riding with excess slack in the chain...
Ill print some off and tape them on!

Yeah, not sure about the roller. I thought I read somewhere it was not needed, but I can't remember where. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #8604
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Ill print some off and tape them on!

Yeah, not sure about the roller. I thought I read somewhere it was not needed, but I can't remember where. Thanks.
I was joking about the tank decals of course, but it occurs to me that there is a decal on the swingarm that gives ranges for tire pressure and chain slack that is different for the Dakar. I don't think tire pressure varies, but as i hinted chain slack does. If you haven't found this elsewhere, someone can post the exact numbers for you. I'm thinking 40-60mm off the top of my head...?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #8605
nomad5326
Xventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
I was joking about the tank decals of course, but it occurs to me that there is a decal on the swingarm that gives ranges for tire pressure and chain slack that is different for the Dakar. I don't think tire pressure varies, but as i hinted chain slack does. If you haven't found this elsewhere, someone can post the exact numbers for you. I'm thinking 40-60mm off the top of my head...?
Thanks. Ill check and see if she has the flanges for the lower roller. If so I think I can get one from Moose. Otherwise Ill just have to adjust the chain and I guess put on a guide to be safe.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #8606
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
What comes next

I went from this

To this:

But now I find myself missing the fuel range, luggage capacity, gearing and wind protection of the more stock set up. The bike is way over kill for "adventure bike" trails, but still a little heavy for dirt bike riding. I might go back to the stock set up or do I search for a differant bike all together? Maybe an old air head GS100? I might paint the plastics if I go back to stock so mine and mu wifes bikes don't look the same.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #8607
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbastard View Post
I went from this

To this:

But now I find myself missing the fuel range, luggage capacity, gearing and wind protection of the more stock set up. The bike is way over kill for "adventure bike" trails, but still a little heavy for dirt bike riding. I might go back to the stock set up or do I search for a differant bike all together? Maybe an old air head GS100? I might paint the plastics if I go back to stock so mine and mu wifes bikes don't look the same.
I hear ya. To each his own but I've always thought the GS excels at what it is, a DP that can do LD touring and some easy dirt on the side. There are a lot of dirt bikes available for more aggressive riding.

I would try to sell it "as is" because it's rare and it might be a perfect match for someone's riding style. If that doesn't work, go back to stock and sell the parts. First dibs on the forks!
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #8608
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Its heavy for trails can get the job done. With the stock fuel tank plus a 1 gal rotopax I feel the bike is good enough to go everywhere. I'm going to use it on the tat. I bought an Aprila Caponord for long street rides with mild dirt roads. I kinda want something else for tight dirt roads. Something like a woods weapon. I'm thinking of fixing up a Wr200 if I can find a plated one. And if the large fuel tank IMS made for 125's will fit on the bike.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #8609
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Most of the people I ride with need to fuel up every 80 miles so sometimes I run half a tank to keep the bike lighter. What's the range on that Oryx tank?
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #8610
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Most of the people I ride with need to fuel up every 80 miles so sometimes I run half a tank to keep the bike lighter. What's the range on that Oryx tank?

It's suposed to be 11 liters, I ran it out of gas once and filled it to the cap and squeesed in 2 1/2 gallons or 10 liters. I get 50mpg city 60 or so hwy, but either way I'm looking for gas at 100 miles. I do have a dirt bike (WR250f) but it's terrible on the street.
I think I'll leave it the way it is and haul a gallon jerry can with me in a tail bag for longer rides. I may have to ditch the 14 tooth front sporcket though. The 18 rear wheel ment with a 15 tooth front sprocket results in pretty much stock gearing. That lower gearing sure is nice off road though... to bad there's no sixth gear.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote