Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #8626
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Ok, call me wacky...but I like the dual exhaust look of the Dakar/Sertao and feel it balances out the bike regardless of the excess weight of the false can/cat. My question is this:

Can a acutal fully functional dual exhaust be added to the Dakar/Sertao single that will help in HP, possibly save a bit of weight and still meet US restrictions? We don't ever have to actually smog our bikes do we i haven't yet).

Im asking because Ive been looking at the Tenere 660 setup for quite a while as they were forced for the same reason I think to go dual....

Examples I've seen but have no real knowledge area;
http://www.pureperformancecycles.com...-Tenere-XT660Z

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/post/34...aha-tenere-660

Any thoughts. And pls forgive my ignorance and love for ascetics.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #8627
Sparqq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
A remus for F650GS twinspark will fit;
remus slip on
Sparqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #8628
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
I would keep the bike as is and find some used TT39 tanks. I bet the seat is the same as the 650RR bike and it would match up.
The plastic piece in between the tanks won't mate with the seat, unless it's the actual piece from the 650 RR Kit, as the TT39 Kit is made to fit on 650GS's with the stock rear subframe.
Nothing some carbon or glass fibre couldnt fix though :P
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #8629
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Not that likely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
So I got that 03 Dakar, I plan to ride it mostly 2 tracks and FS roads with a random jeep/quad trail thrown in every once in a while. Am I going to be thrown to the ground and killed because of the forks breaking or will I be ok?
...but always a possibility. My 03 Dakar had over 70K on it before the forks broke off at the axle lug.

DISCLAIMER - My personal view: I could have never been comfortable on it again without the YZ or similar forks conversion. The thought of that weak casting would have been in the back of my mind each time I pushed it into a turn.

FWIW, the fork conversion was really not difficult to do nor expensive (after selling off most of the BMW stuff I removed). I did have to do a bit of grinding, drilling and tapping (for the steering stops) but overall it was a bolt-on changeover. I paid $350 shipped for a complete YZ250F front end, including wheel and brake disc, caliper and really the only other tasks were making a mount for the ignition switch, brake lines (I removed the ABS) and the steering stop mods. The bike rides and handles much better now both on and off road.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #8630
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
...but always a possibility. My 03 Dakar had over 70K on it before the forks broke off at the axle lug.

DISCLAIMER - My personal view: I could have never been comfortable on it again without the YZ or similar forks conversion. The thought of that weak casting would have been in the back of my mind each time I pushed it into a turn.

FWIW, the fork conversion was really not difficult to do nor expensive (after selling off most of the BMW stuff I removed). I did have to do a bit of grinding, drilling and tapping (for the steering stops) but overall it was a bolt-on changeover. I paid $350 shipped for a complete YZ250F front end, including wheel and brake disc, caliper and really the only other tasks were making a mount for the ignition switch, brake lines (I removed the ABS) and the steering stop mods. The bike rides and handles much better now both on and off road.
Question about the YZ forks conversion. Does the steering lock still work with it?? I live in an apartment building with gated but open parking. The only way to secure my bike is to lock the bars when I park.
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #8631
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Ok, call me wacky...but I like the dual exhaust look of the Dakar/Sertao and feel it balances out the bike regardless of the excess weight of the false can/cat. My question is this:

Can a acutal fully functional dual exhaust be added to the Dakar/Sertao single that will help in HP, possibly save a bit of weight and still meet US restrictions? We don't ever have to actually smog our bikes do we i haven't yet).

Im asking because Ive been looking at the Tenere 660 setup for quite a while as they were forced for the same reason I think to go dual....

Examples I've seen but have no real knowledge area;
http://www.pureperformancecycles.com...-Tenere-XT660Z

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/post/34...aha-tenere-660

Any thoughts. And pls forgive my ignorance and love for ascetics.
By adding a second muffler you're reducing even further the back pressure of the exhaust. This could make your bike run like crap. But who am I to say what you should do to a bike? I've done pretty much everything everyone else says not to do.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 10:16 AM
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #8632
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Question about the YZ forks conversion. Does the steering lock still work with it?? I live in an apartment building with gated but open parking. The only way to secure my bike is to lock the bars when I park.
If you're willing to do some fabrication, you can make an adapter for the stock steering lock/ignition switch. I'll see if I can find a picture of the one that I made out of 1/4" aluminum stock.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #8633
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
If you're willing to do some fabrication, you can make an adapter for the stock steering lock/ignition switch. I'll see if I can find a picture of the one that I made out of 1/4" aluminum stock.
Cool, Id like to see it.

On another note, since my search-fu sucks...anyone know of stronger conventional forks that I could use with the OEM clamps?? OEM are 41 mm correct?? I seem to remember reading somewhere about using xr400 forks as replacements but cant exactly remember.

Im not a real hard rider, and finances prohibit a fork conversion for the near future, but eventually Id like to replace them with something stronger.
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #8634
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Are these bikes meant to turn themselves off when the oil light comes on?

I've tried replacing the oil sensor but it still won't start. Reset the BMS just to see if that would do anything. Was all I could do roadside with no tools. Is definitely got over two litres of oil in it. Only just put it in and there are no leaks at the filter cover. I've read the FAQ which suggested that the pressure could be lost there. It hasn't been used in just under two years which is why I changed the oil (and coolant). It ran fine for over an hour.

I've got a diagnostic tool but it won't connect with the bike. I remember something like that in the past but can't remember how I solved it. Working on that one. I park all my bikes with a ctek charger.

Interesting detail is that the fan isnt turning freely anymore.

Anyone got ideas?

It's like it's kicking me in the arse for leaving it in the corner while I'm rebuilding its brother and taking the Suzy when I do go out. Little does it know it's very close to being swapped for a husky.

tmotten screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 03:18 AM
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #8635
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Ill print some off and tape them on!

Yeah, not sure about the roller. I thought I read somewhere it was not needed, but I can't remember where. Thanks.
I'd add a chain guide (from any MX shop) just incase the chain gets toasted. I'll add one to my own bike before the (a) next long trip. Last time there were no real signs before it suddenly gave out and kept derailing (would've stayed on with a simple plastic chainguide fitted to the LHS swing arm

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #8636
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
So I got that 03 Dakar, I plan to ride it mostly 2 tracks and FS roads with a random jeep/quad trail thrown in every once in a while. Am I going to be thrown to the ground and killed because of the forks breaking or will I be ok?
If you believe some voices on here you're pretty much guaranteed an early exit.
Mine have survived everyting I've thrown at them, which is quite a bit, and never missed a beat.

You be the judge.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #8637
Damian_74
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
Are these bikes meant to turn themselves off when the oil light comes on?

I've tried replacing the oil sensor but it still won't start. Reset the BMS just to see if that would do anything. Was all I could do roadside with no tools. Is definitely got over two litres of oil in it. Only just put it in and there are no leaks at the filter cover. I've read the FAQ which suggested that the pressure could be lost there. It hasn't been used in just under two years which is why I changed the oil (and coolant). It ran fine for over an hour.

I've got a diagnostic tool but it won't connect with the bike. I remember something like that in the past but can't remember how I solved it. Working on that one. I park all my bikes with a ctek charger.

Anyone got ideas?

It's like it's kicking me in the arse for leaving it in the corner while I'm rebuilding its brother and taking the Suzy when I do go out. Little does it know it's very close to being swapped for a husky.

Taco - Are these troubles on the bike that you changed all the body work and dash on?

Have a look at the handlebar kill switch - when it is in the OFF position, the diagnostic plug isn't powered (I assume that you are using a GS911?).

Other than that - all the normal things - poor earth or dirty contact - remove all the battery terminals and give them a clean with sand paper? Clean all the fuse holders, Load relief relay terminals, etc……

I have a vague memory that I had to put a micro relay on the oil light when I wired in my LED indicator lights. Even when the bike was running and everything normal, there was a very slight glow from the Oil LED – the oil light is earth switched but travels through the computer on its way, so I think somewhere in that box of tricks there is enough of an earth, to light the LED but not an incandescent globe. – Am away for work at the moment - get home in a few days – can confirm and provide a diagram if you are interested.
Damian

EDIT

Just saw the comment about the fan not working - looking at the crcuit diagram form F650,com - the Fan comes form Fuse 3, that is powered via the computer.

Has the fuse blown/ correct size? If is hasn't, and the fan has seized, it will draw high amperage through the computer (this is assuming that the re-drawn diagram is correct, there are a few faults on them!).

Damian_74 screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 08:30 AM
Damian_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #8638
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Depends on how you fab your mount for the ignition lockset and you have to enlarge the holes in the steering head that the locking pin extends into because with the YZ forks the steering will not go as far before locking. You also have to drill and tap for some small bolts or screws to make steering stops. You'll lose about 3/8-1/2" compared to the stock setup.

My lockset mount would have allowed for the steering lock, but I never used it so I didn't enlarge the holes.

Hope that all makes sense. If not, it will when you get it apart.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #8639
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post

Anyone got ideas?
No idea but if you do have to buy a new fan, don't try to save money by buying it from this shop in Germany. http://www.kfm-motorraeder.de. I ordered one on June 21 to replace my seized fan and am still waiting for it...
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #8640
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Fun in the Olympic forest

A couple of pics from yesterdays ride.

The whips, mine in silver, wifes in blue

My GPS pointed us down a road that was closed. I said I could make it past the tank trap. I didn't say I could make it back

OK, bike is upright agian. This picture does not due justice to how steap this was, not to mention how soft the dirt was. And no my feet aren't even close to touching the ground.

Had to do a little boony bashing to make my way out, this way

This "road" became more and more over grown, we pressed on. Eventually after the road was almost gone, we found a wide spot to turn around. We may revisit this one.

Tall, red haired and dressed in Klim, that's how I like 'em

redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote