Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #8956
Barnman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
Thanks, I made mine out of composites beacuse I don't have the aluminium skills!
Nor do I, but I know a man who does

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
I still have the molds so if your aluminium one doesn't work out I know knock one out for you pretty cheap. Not sure on the differences on mounting on the later bikes.
A great offer and very tempting, Cheers. I will think about that :-)
Barnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #8957
wiz.au
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by manybike View Post
I switched to the Shorai Lithium battery, only weighs about 1lb, no chance of leaking.
Been using it for 2 months now...works excellent..easy way to lose 6-7 lbs up top.

Ever since I have owned my Dakar it makes a ticking sound for about a minute after I turn it off.
Have no idea what it is, not sure if others have noticed this.
I too have the Shoari, and after a coupla -5DegC mornings, it turns the bike over, even if it doesn't want to start!

But yes, every time I disconnect the battery or the dash, when I reconnect it, the tacho needle jumps and ticks in a crescending pattern for about 5 mins.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #8958
wiz.au
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Husky650 forks on a Dakar?

Would there be any point trying to find out if the forks off the new Husky 650 will fit the Dakar? Might be a bit of a wait till one turns up at a wrecker....

Old 08-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #8959
Sparqq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz.au View Post
Would there be any point trying to find out if the forks off the new Husky 650 will fit the Dakar? Might be a bit of a wait till one turns up at a wrecker....
Nope there is no point of trying that, the people on the X challanges don't like there forks and are swapping them. These Husky forks will properly be the same. So if you wanna invest time and money into a fork swap you can better do it all the way an go for some decent forks.
Sparqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #8960
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
What headlight is that ?
I think I asked Kubiak a while back having mixed up the bikes/ headlights, but it's this one I thought looks like it has a very good/ bright light.
hi, its a polisport halo with a h4 bulb in 35 35 watt high and low beam. i think parx put a hid in his though?
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #8961
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
hi, its a polisport halo with a h4 bulb in 35 35 watt high and low beam. i think parx put a hid in his though?
Mine has a DDM 55 WATT HID kit. it works great. Its a little warm but once you are moving it gets cooled down.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #8962
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Mine has a DDM 55 WATT HID kit. it works great. Its a little warm but once you are moving it gets cooled down.
Ahh, well there you go.
After buying a new $27 bulb for my Acerbis Cyclopse headlight I rode at night and discovered the reflector is 100% toast. Looks like I'm rigin around with an orange strapped to the handlebars, which, cool as it may sound, does little to help me see the road and moose lurking in the bushes right next to it.

So it's the same Polisport Halo light you guys are running then.

And is this the HID kit ? http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...rcycle-HID-Kit

Which version will work witht he Polisport Halo and which options do I need to select ?

The Polisport Halo is about $110 + freight locally whereas the Sonic streetfighter headlight I was looking at is $265 + freight from US to Norway + 25% import tax so the Polisport option will be quite a bit cheaper.

Was going to add switch so lights can be turned off completely and just run LED strip in daytime.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #8963
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Got another chain/sprocket question.

Bought a new chain today, sprockets are supposed to be in on Tuesday.

Anyone think it would hurt the chain to ride on it with the old sprockets for 3 or 4 days....say 600 miles??

I got my shock back from Sasquatch and am installing it today. I REALLY want to ride but dont want to screw up the new chain either. Too damn expensive just cuz im impatient.

I guess I could use the old chain for a few more days though.
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #8964
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post

Anyone think it would hurt the chain to ride on it with the old sprockets for 3 or 4 days....say 600 miles??

I guess I could use the old chain for a few more days though.
Keep the old chain on until you get the new sprockets.

If nothing else, it's a LOT easier to change the sprockets with the chain out of the way.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #8965
eanth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Oil Tank to Air Box screw/grommet

I've read about folks having issues w/ the rubber grommet that the screw passes through to fasten the oil tank to the air box (on the left side of the bike). My issue is with the little cylindrical nut that resides inside the grommet. After years of oil changes (and over tightening) it's finally pulled completely out, meaning the oil tank and air box are not snug. This results in a much louder bike beginning around 3500 RPMs as air is lost through the hole from inside the air box out through the grommet. I'm also wondering if the bike is losing air to the engine as a result.

I should mention, the bike runs great. No noticeable change to performance.

Any others have this happen? Solutions? I could put a standard nut on the inside of the air box to keep it from pulling out but i'm concerned it could dislodge and drop into the throttle body.

TIA

eanth
eanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #8966
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
Keep the old chain on until you get the new sprockets.

If nothing else, it's a LOT easier to change the sprockets with the chain out of the way.
Yeah, decided to do just that. Damn is that chain loose though.

Got my shock back from Sasquatch yesterday. Installed it today, along with Hyperpro fork springs and new TKC80's. Rode it the 40 miles from my parents house back to my apartment. Damn its like a whole new bike!!! The suspension feels damn good now. Get it tuned in and its gonna feel awesome!! I do have one little issue that Im guessing is something to do with the tuning. The back end was weaving a little bit on some light sand (surface sand on the dirt road leaving my parents house). Seemed to do it a little on the pavement, but it was so very slight I had to really concentrate to notice it. Only reason Im guessing its the suspension setup (which I really havent done yet other than sag), is that Ive had TKCs on a DR and a KLR and didnt notice a weave like that.

Lower the forks maybe?? Ive only got a couple of mm's to the bottom of the cap though.
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #8967
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanth View Post
I've read about folks having issues w/ the rubber grommet that the screw passes through to fasten the oil tank to the air box (on the left side of the bike). My issue is with the little cylindrical nut that resides inside the grommet. After years of oil changes (and over tightening) it's finally pulled completely out, meaning the oil tank and air box are not snug. This results in a much louder bike beginning around 3500 RPMs as air is lost through the hole from inside the air box out through the grommet. I'm also wondering if the bike is losing air to the engine as a result.

I should mention, the bike runs great. No noticeable change to performance.

Any others have this happen? Solutions? I could put a standard nut on the inside of the air box to keep it from pulling out but i'm concerned it could dislodge and drop into the throttle body.

TIA

eanth
Been there and still am. Tried fixing the stock brass nut/ rubber grommet with various sealants and glues, notghing wotks. Tried buying new parts, but they won't stick either so I've just left it and ridden with it for...oh....probably 8 years. Enginge's been apart a couple times and no trace of sand/ dust entering the engine. A more annoying issue with mine where the exact same thing has happened and tried remedied is the crank case ventialtion hose on the bottom rear right of the airbox. Can't get it to stick properly and it's continusly leaking droplets of oil back down the hose. Design fucken sucks in both cases.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:34 AM   #8968
bugga
n00b

Oddometer: 9
leaking crankseal on 2010 g650gs

iam sorry,i know its not a dakar but has anyone had problems with the crankseal leaking

cheers bugga

must be mad...if i cant be bad
bugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #8969
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Got my shock back from Sasquatch yesterday. Installed it today, along with Hyperpro fork springs and new TKC80's. Rode it the 40 miles from my parents house back to my apartment. Damn its like a whole new bike!!!
Did you have Sasquatch change the spring too? I'm thinking I should have had that done when he did my shock. I've got a lot of preload in it to get the sag I need, and it bottoms out in high-speed chop/whoop. Doesn't help that I've gained a few pounds in the last couple of years.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #8970
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 435
Help! In getting my bike ready for a 6,000 mile trip I had my plastic trim off the top and sides of the air box. Somehow my center cover has grown feet and left town. Or as some people call it a five finger discount. BMW parts list it as this:46 63 7 656 007 COVERING FUEL TANK.

Item #4 in the photo.

Does anybody have one for sale? Leaving on my trip in 2 weeks and have not contacted a parts house yet.

If you know of a place to contact the would really help.

2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote