Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #9016
ElReyDelSofa
Desubicado

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElReyDelSofa View Post
So I was blasting up Parleys Canyon (I-80 Salt Lake City) yesterday and the temperature light came on. WTF? Plenty of coolant, weep hole is dry, never happened before. Pulled off and parked in the shade for 15 minutes, started up again, light is off, rode to my destination a bit slower and with no further problems.

Very strange, any ideas what is going on? It was a hot day but this didn't show up during a Baja trip in April.

Saludos,

Martín
Thanks to everyone for the help, problem solved. Had one of the factory hose clamps come loose where it attaches to the water pump. Leaking fluid and an non-pressurized system. Changed out for a hose clamp and topped up the fluid. Ride to work this morning much cooler.

Martín

'06 F650GS Dakar
ElReyDelSofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #9017
aufevermike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
What is this thing???

Ok guys. What is this thing. I know it is a one way valve of some sort but where might the damned thing go? I recently bought a 2006 Dakar and this was in the rear bag. I hope it was replaced with a new one and this one wasn't left out of where it should go. Any ideas??
here the top of it.
[IMG][/IMG]
Here is the underside.
[IMG][/IMG]
It is a little bigger in circumference than a quarter and about 1/2 inch tall. I can blow through both sides fairly easy so it may not be a one way valve. here is another pic of the underside with the flash on.

aufevermike screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 10:38 PM
aufevermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #9018
Got2Moto
Got2MotoGraphics

Oddometer: 505
That would make a great (?) cap plug for the hole saw snorkel mod
as described over at 650.com
Old 08-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #9019
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 601
suspention

Ok, here we go...
The front suspension on my 06 dakar is well... shitty.

I need to rebuild it i guess..?
I have never worked with suspension before so i need some pointers/advice.
What exactly i need to buy, and from where, and any information on actually doing it.

PM me please.

i need help

Thanks!!
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #9020
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
Ok, here we go...

What exactly i need to buy, and from where, and any information on actually doing it.

PM me please.

i need help

Thanks!!
Shop around for a YZ front end. I did forks, triples, wheel, brake, etc. for a net cost of around $300 (cuz I sold the stock 21" wheel and several other parts). I found a complete front end for $300. While it bolted right up, there are a few mods you have to do to make it work, like making an adapter for the ignition lockset, drilling and tapping some holes for steering stop, grinding a bit off the frame that holds the headlight/insturments for clearance with the bigger fork tubes, another front fender, etc. But, you get half again more suspension travel up front (almost 12" compared to the stock 8") and you never have to worry about the axle shearing off at the fork casting (which one of mine did).

All-in-all it's probably the best mod I've done to my 2003 Dakar. Photo below just after the mods (now pushing 80K miles and running strong!):
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #9021
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

I have read a little about this mod... I def want to do it eventually, but like i said, i dont know much about suspension, and will need the help of someone who has done it before, or knows a little about it. What exactly bolts straight up, do i need the whole yz triple and everything or just the yz forks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Shop around for a YZ front end. I did forks, triples, wheel, brake, etc. for a net cost of around $300 (cuz I sold the stock 21" wheel and several other parts). I found a complete front end for $300. While it bolted right up, there are a few mods you have to do to make it work, like making an adapter for the ignition lockset, drilling and tapping some holes for steering stop, grinding a bit off the frame that holds the headlight/insturments for clearance with the bigger fork tubes, another front fender, etc. But, you get half again more suspension travel up front (almost 12" compared to the stock 8") and you never have to worry about the axle shearing off at the fork casting (which one of mine did).

All-in-all it's probably the best mod I've done to my 2003 Dakar. Photo below just after the mods (now pushing 80K miles and running strong!):
Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #9022
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Ok, here we go...

The options as i understand them, in increasing order of effectiveness and general ambition (cost, time, etc)

1) switch to higher weight fork oil (10 or 15) - helps with nose diving during breaking, especially for heavier riders
2) switch to progressive fork springs
3) add emulator cartridges - http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/ForkUpgrades.html
4) fork swap - details at above link also
Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #9023
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
I have read a little about this mod... I def want to do it eventually, but like i said, i dont know much about suspension, and will need the help of someone who has done it before, or knows a little about it. What exactly bolts straight up, do i need the whole yz triple and everything or just the yz forks?
The YZ250F I have is a 2004 and the forks/triples bolted right up to the the BMW steering head using the BMW races and YZ bearings. It's my understanding the newer YZ's have a longer steering stem which requires a spacer, but the bearings still match up.

If you have ABS and want to keep it and the Beemer wheel, ABS sensor, caliper, etc. you've got significant machining that has to be done to make it all work. As for me, I was very happy to have the ABS gone (I yanked it all out while I had everything apart) as it adds weight and is a PITA to turn off for gravel/dirt. And it worked poorly anyway, as you've probably already found out.

As far as knowing about suspension, I know zero about it. You will want to get stiffer fork springs because it's a heavier bike than the YZ, but the stuff I bought already had these installed.

This thread (long) is where I got all the info I needed to the do conversion.

Now the bike is a sheer joy to ride!

Good Luck!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #9024
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
The options as i understand them, in increasing order of effectiveness and general ambition (cost, time, etc)

1) switch to higher weight fork oil (10 or 15) - helps with nose diving during breaking, especially for heavier riders
2) switch to progressive fork springs
3) add emulator cartridges - http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/ForkUpgrades.html
4) fork swap - details at above link also
I think im going to try to go with the fork swap. I have done some reading, and with help from a few people i think its very doable.

Quote:
The YZ250F I have is a 2004 and the forks/triples bolted right up to the the BMW steering head using the BMW races and YZ bearings. It's my understanding the newer YZ's have a longer steering stem which requires a spacer, but the bearings still match up.

If you have ABS and want to keep it and the Beemer wheel, ABS sensor, caliper, etc. you've got significant machining that has to be done to make it all work. As for me, I was very happy to have the ABS gone (I yanked it all out while I had everything apart) as it adds weight and is a PITA to turn off for gravel/dirt. And it worked poorly anyway, as you've probably already found out.

As far as knowing about suspension, I know zero about it. You will want to get stiffer fork springs because it's a heavier bike than the YZ, but the stuff I bought already had these installed.

This thread (long) is where I got all the info I needed to the do conversion.

Now the bike is a sheer joy to ride!

Good Luck!
With this information, i should be ok to do it myself. I will search fleabay for a set of forks, and if anyone comes across a good deal on some please let me know!

excited to get my bike back to %100, hopefully before i do much more riding (although its my daily driver so we will see how that goes...)
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #9025
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,483
I'm stranded up in cederville. No power to anything on the bike. Checked the three fuses under the seat and they are fine. Are there any other fuses on the bike ?
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #9026
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
I'm stranded up in cederville. No power to anything on the bike. Checked the three fuses under the seat and they are fine. Are there any other fuses on the bike ?
Check ground wire, battery terminals?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #9027
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
wait?! you mean it bolts right on and all is right with the world you just have to yank the ABS crap? oh man eBay here i come! anyone know if KTM stuff is the same? i have lots of that laying around. i thought you had to cut the head tube off and all kinds of stuff.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #9028
mothra
Rally Driver

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
wait?! you mean it bolts right on and all is right with the world you just have to yank the ABS crap? oh man eBay here i come! anyone know if KTM stuff is the same? i have lots of that laying around. i thought you had to cut the head tube off and all kinds of stuff.
Not quite......The triple tree bolts right on and uses a combination of Yamaha and BMW steering head bearing and races. The forks need to be revalved and shortened for the heavier bike (House of Horsepower can do it). you cna use the YZ brake caliper, wheel and disk without modifications. To keep the BMW wheel and brake caliper you need a caliper braket and axel (this may be available from HOH).

The only thing without a simple solution is mounting the fork lock and key cylinder onto the YZ forks.

If I have left out something please correct me.

'02 F650GS Dakar
'09 HUSBERG FE450
mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #9029
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothra View Post
Not quite......The triple tree bolts right on and uses a combination of Yamaha and BMW steering head bearing and races. The forks need to be revalved and shortened for the heavier bike (House of Horsepower can do it). you cna use the YZ brake caliper, wheel and disk without modifications. To keep the BMW wheel and brake caliper you need a caliper braket and axel (this may be available from HOH).

The only thing without a simple solution is mounting the fork lock and key cylinder onto the YZ forks.

If I have left out something please correct me.
The forks I bought already had stiffer springs installed by the PO. I didn't have my forks revalved or shortened figuring I'd try it like it was and its working fine. I'm sure having this done would probably help, but it's already 1000 times better than the Showas that came on it, so I'm in no hurry.

I should mention that simultaneously I had an 18" wheel laced on the rear that served the purpose of raising the rear of the bike to better match the longer (higher) front end. Also, the additional travel necessitated pulling off the stock front fender because when the forks neared bottoming out the wheel would scrape on the horn box. It might be possible to cut the horn box out and get by with the stock, but for $25 I bought the Acerbis motard fender and it works well. I moved the horn to the space under the headlight, between the plastic and lights.

Also, when removing the ABS I had to buy a non-ABS brake line for the rear ($23 from MaxBMW) and make up a "universal" front line that would mate to both banjo bolts from the BMW Brembo master cylinder to the Yamaha front caliper (about $40) as these were different in size.

The only other steps in shedding the ABS system were removing the modulator (easiest if you remove subframe/tank, but can be done with it in place) and jumping and solder two wires from the off ABS sensor that run into the junction box for the ABS electrics. This is necessary because the speedometer works off the rear ABS sensor. That took only about 10 minutes. In the instrument cluster (which was off anyway for the forks swap) I simply removed the bulb that blinks when the ABS is disabled.

Really, it sounds like a lot more work than it is.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #9030
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809

i added a chain guide to the dakar this week, i dont know why they dont come with one stock, i used a 03 to 08 yamaha yz125 oem one so replacement plastic guide would be cheap to replace.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote