Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #9211
ElReyDelSofa
Desubicado

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwags View Post
Don't know for sure, but will a metric brake bleed screw work. It might save you a trip to the dealer and a few bucks. Also, if there is a bolt in there check the sealing surface for the vent screw. It is a angled metal to metal seat and the end of the bolt may have scarred the sealing surface of the seat.

If the bolt seals, just crack it open till iquid comes out then tighten closed. No need for the fancy bleed screw in my estimation.
All good advice thanks.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 AM   #9212
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
What the Dakar should have been.
Funny thing is that BMW could have done that for peanuts.

I have mine like that right now but plan to change it back. After doing the tat my bike no matter what ran warm. With 48mm forks and an mx fender there is just no air flow to the radiator. I'm going to put the front fairing back on and do a KTM 950 low fender. This bike is going to be my in between bike. I'm getting another WR426 for dirt duty. I have my Caponord for street.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #9213
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
I have mine like that right now but plan to change it back. After doing the tat my bike no matter what ran warm. With 48mm forks and an mx fender there is just no air flow to the radiator. I'm going to put the front fairing back on and do a KTM 950 low fender. This bike is going to be my in between bike. I'm getting another WR426 for dirt duty. I have my Caponord for street.
How about just a high fender with a ventilated rear? I haven't had heat problems on mine.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #9214
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

I cut the whole back off my fender. It helped but still not enough air was getting in there. The bike cools down to 195 and the fan shuts off. Then it keeps climbing up to 220 when it goes on and then cools back to 195. This is on a straight road at speed. Off road it never gets cooler than 200. I feel the bike should run cooler than that.

Honestly though The Dakar is great as a DS bike when you will have alot of slab. I'm going to keep it for that. For my rides in death valley and places where I truck the bike the WR426 will be much better. A low Black fender will look good on this bike.

I have some cut down side panels for sale if anyone wants to do the off road head light with out cutting up there own side panels.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #9215
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

So if anyone is interested. These side panels plus the headlight and the Baja D headlight mounts will be for sale soon. Me on the tat.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #9216
rkover1
doc

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElReyDelSofa View Post
Same story here, I had a hose come loose off of the water pump. Fixed that and topped up the fluid but still running hotter than normal.

Talked to my mechanic and he suggested I might have a pocket of air in the cooling system and recommended I purge the system using a piece of clear tubing and the vent nipple on the upper right side of the engine (http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/Photos/Ai...nTubeClose.jpg).

Went to do that today only to discover the previous owner replaced the vent nipple with a bolt, so now I need to make the trip to the dealer to purchase the $10 part.

Martín
My '06 came from the factory with the bolt instead of the vent nipple. IIRC, they were not interchangable.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #9217
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkover1 View Post
My '06 came from the factory with the bolt instead of the vent nipple. IIRC, they were not interchangable.
Yeah, i seem to recall hearing that was part of the twin spark change. I bled the system without per suggestion in some forum, but have to admit i did notice the fan runnning a lot more since...
Old 09-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #9218
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
>"I bled the system without per suggestion in some forum, but have to admit i did notice the fan runnning "

Lean the bike over the opposite direction from the kickstand to bleed and fill the cooling. Gotta have somebody hold it or find something to lean it on.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #9219
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
So if anyone is interested. These side panels plus the headlight and the Baja D headlight mounts will be for sale soon. Me on the tat.

Great shot. Did you do that solo? That's what these bikes are for....

I agree about the front fender. I plan to swap mine out. cutting the faux tank does open up the top of the engine and oil res for better ventilation. I haven't overheated yet, but definitely have before.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:36 AM   #9220
bkwags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Helmet

What helmet are you using? And how did it work for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post

I agree about the front fender. I plan to swap mine out. cutting the faux tank does open up the top of the engine and oil res for better ventilation. I haven't overheated yet, but definitely have before.
bkwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:45 AM   #9221
Renaissanceman
DON'T PANIC!

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElReyDelSofa View Post
Same story here, I had a hose come loose off of the water pump. Fixed that and topped up the fluid but still running hotter than normal.

Talked to my mechanic and he suggested I might have a pocket of air in the cooling system and recommended I purge the system using a piece of clear tubing and the vent nipple on the upper right side of the engine (http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/Photos/Ai...nTubeClose.jpg).

Went to do that today only to discover the previous owner replaced the vent nipple with a bolt, so now I need to make the trip to the dealer to purchase the $10 part.

Martín
I've found it's not enough to use the bleed screw - even when you get flow out of the screw, you'll still have air in the system, at least on mine. I find the only way to completely purge all the air is to keep squeezing all the hoses and alternately running the engine for a few seconds. It always takes me several cycles of this procedure to get all the air out.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #9222
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissanceman View Post
I've found it's not enough to use the bleed screw - even when you get flow out of the screw, you'll still have air in the system, at least on mine. I find the only way to completely purge all the air is to keep squeezing all the hoses and alternately running the engine for a few seconds. It always takes me several cycles of this procedure to get all the air out.
I've found the same thing, on several different bikes. Squeezing the upper and lower radiator hoses will help burp out the air. Last time I did it on the Dakar, it took about 15 minutes of burping and topping off to stop the air bubbles from coming up from the radiator fill.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #9223
eanth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwags View Post
What helmet are you using? And how did it work for you?
Arai XD3? Love mine
eanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #9224
ElReyDelSofa
Desubicado

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkover1 View Post
Interesting, I have an '06 sounds like I just get to spill antifreeze on the floor
Old 09-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #9225
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post

I did the western part plus part of the shadow of the rockies. It was 2500 miles. The bike was a handful in NV but besides that it was fine. My buddy was on an XR650R and honestly that was a better bike for the ride. I made the mistake of changing my shock spring before we left. It was way too stiff an kept the rear kinda high. Bike was hella twitchy.

My fender plus cutting the side panels made it worse. not sure why. I think the fender it blocking air and lack of a front fairing is letting the air go up. I hold my hand down there and im getting next to no air flow into the radiator. Im sure the massive forks I used is not helping. Maybe a dif fender would work better.