Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #9286
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocco78 View Post
Thanks for all the advice, I figured I was starting it correctly so i'll have to check into the hard start issues. I would just pop into the closest dealer but that would be a 3 hour drive so it probably won't get to the dealer so often, oh well. I just got back from a 300 mile, 2 day trek around the UP with almost no issues, a fork seal gave up on me mid-way through the trip. Other than that 300 awesome miles.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=26416298b2

Congrats! fine looking machine!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #9287
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Turn the ignition switch on, but wait until the water temp light goes out before pressing the starter button (2-3 seconds). Then after the engine fires up, continue holding the starter button 2-3 more seconds (this I was told sets the EFI for the ambient conditions).
If this were the case, wouldn't it be mentioned in the BMW literature somewhere? I mean i think the first part is, but i've never heard about the second before.

My 2006 stalls sometimes if i don't keep the starter in for a full second, but i figured the EFI adjusted ASAP regardless...
Old 10-02-2012, 04:52 AM   #9288
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
You may want to check with your dealer, there was a BMW technical bulletin on the early twin-spark models that covers hard starting. It involves a software update and replacing the decompression lever on the exhaust camshaft. If nothing else, the software update solved the issue of backfiring through the intake and stalling when I blipped the throttle for a downshift.
I've noticed the backfiring since i started downshifting, thought it was because my plugs hadn't been checked for a couple service intervals.

How would that work if there is no 'my' dealer, just some dealers i can go to? Are they supposed to take care of these things on any cycle that is brought in, or only as part of some regular service?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #9289
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
The starting procedure is covered in a TSB as owners had problems from when the model was released, I think the TSB is over at F650, there is also a write up on the reasons for it with details of what the ECU does written up by a mechanic floating round the web, have been kicking myself for not bookmarking it as I need some info from it at the moment

EDIT found it

http://www.bikeboy.org/f650start.html
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #9290
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocco78 View Post
I just got back from a 300 mile, 2 day trek around the UP with almost no issues, a fork seal gave up on me mid-way through the trip. Other than that 300 awesome miles.
Did you catch much of the Superior shoreline? I was through there the same week 2 years ago. Apart from doing the Seney stretch in the dark without hibeams, it was the best ride i've been on. The mountain lion spotting posted at a gas station even made the forest camping feel exciting...
Old 10-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #9291
rdalland
Dharma Bun

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
If this were the case, wouldn't it be mentioned in the BMW literature somewhere? I mean i think the first part is, but i've never heard about the second before.

My 2006 stalls sometimes if i don't keep the starter in for a full second, but i figured the EFI adjusted ASAP regardless...

This is from my '06 Riders Manual.

So, wait for the temp light to go out and hold the starter button until the motor is running smoothly, 5 seconds max.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #9292
cocco78
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
Did you catch much of the Superior shoreline? I was through there the same week 2 years ago. Apart from doing the Seney stretch in the dark without hibeams, it was the best ride i've been on. The mountain lion spotting posted at a gas station even made the forest camping feel exciting...
Not so much shore line action, the sand along the shorline trails is diffucult even in a Jeep so I avoided it while on 2 wheels. I have been along the entire shorline on expo style camping 4 wheeling trips just about every summer.
cocco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #9293
bkwags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Dual Sport Aggressive Tire

Hey all, Looking to put on some aggressive Dual Sport tires on my new/used 2005 Dakar. Specs say they should be 90/90-21 front and 130/80-17 rear. Right now I have 3.51-21 (51P) front and 5.10-17 (67P) rear, IRC Trials GP1's. It seems to handle fine.

The local shop told me to go with Kenda Trak2's in the following sizes 80/100-21 frt and 130/90-17 rear. Will that work properly. The front would be narrower and taller. The rear will be just taller. I am only 5'11 don't want to raise the bike anymore than it already is. I have not quite mastered the whole tire decoder ring thing. So I am a bit lost.

It just seems that no one has the right size for both tires in an aggressive tread. AARRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!

Looking forward to hearing from ya all!!
bkwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #9294
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwags View Post
Hey all, Looking to put on some aggressive Dual Sport tires on my new/used 2005 Dakar. Specs say they should be 90/90-21 front and 130/80-17 rear. Right now I have 3.51-21 (51P) front and 5.10-17 (67P) rear, IRC Trials GP1's. It seems to handle fine.

The local shop told me to go with Kenda Trak2's in the following sizes 80/100-21 frt and 130/90-17 rear. Will that work properly. The front would be narrower and taller. The rear will be just taller. I am only 5'11 don't want to raise the bike anymore than it already is. I have not quite mastered the whole tire decoder ring thing. So I am a bit lost.
I'm pretty sure you can get a rear Trakmaster II in 130/80-17. The 130/90 will fit though. No real advantage to a taller tire, except maybe pinch-flat resistance.

An 80/100 front tire will fit fine, but be careful of the load rating - most of them are designed for bikes that weigh a lot less than a Dakar.

For something a little less aggressive that lasts longer, I run a Pirelli MT21 front tire in 90/90-21, with a Dunlop 606 in the rear, in 130/90-17.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #9295
Mohawk Unit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
new dakar owner

Howdy folks,
Just picked up a 2006 Dakar up in Albany NY that came with a nice fun box of farkles to play with. I'll actually probably be selling a Touratech seat on here soon if anyone happens to be interested. Anyway coming from little old 2stroke bikes, I'm having so much fun riding and wrenching on the Dakar.

Feel free to hit me up on instagram if that's your thing, planning to post my experience with the bike on there.

I also wanted to ask if anyone knows any US shops to try for a 17t front - I'm thinking it would be nice for longer highway trips, and I'm on the lighter side so I think it could work. Having trouble finding anything bigger than the 16. If anyone's holding and didnt end up using one feel free to shoot me a PM.
Mohawk Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #9296
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
This is from my '06 Riders Manual.

So, wait for the temp light to go out and hold the starter button until the motor is running smoothly, 5 seconds max.
I lost my riders manual a few years ago but am sure i read it a few times before that and never retained the 'until it runs smoothy' part. Like the mechanic mentions in the article linked above, it is something that is difficult to get to sink in just by telling people. After numerous experiences turning over a starter on a running engine, it becomes second nature to let go of the starter ASAP when started...
Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #9297
bkwags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Aggressive Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
I'm pretty sure you can get a rear Trakmaster II in 130/80-17. The 130/90 will fit though. No real advantage to a taller tire, except maybe pinch-flat resistance.

An 80/100 front tire will fit fine, but be careful of the load rating - most of them are designed for bikes that weigh a lot less than a Dakar.

For something a little less aggressive that lasts longer, I run a Pirelli MT21 front tire in 90/90-21, with a Dunlop 606 in the rear, in 130/90-17.

I decided to step out of the comfort zone and like you get two different tires. Here's my reasoning.

The Kenda front tire was not to spec and suggested tire is 3 inches taller than normal. So I opted for a correctly sized Mich T63 up front. That bike is tall enough already.

The Mich T63 rear was not in stock but the Kenda K760 (also not to spec) was. However in this case the Kenda was the same OD but is 1/2 wider, so I ordered it.

The load and speed ratings for each are similar. The tread patterns are not that different and the length of the knobs is virtually the same on each tire. On highway it might be a little squirrelly, but off road I think they will compatible. And these guys will be for off road almost exclusively. What do you think, am I crazy or should that work out.

BTW, I did order new tubes and rim strips.
bkwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #9298
DakarGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Tankbags

I'm sure this is not the first such thread, and I don't know how to search a single thread...sorry if this has been asked before, but here goes...

I just got my Cortech Super 2 12L Tankbag. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tank-Bag.aspx

The bag itself is very nice, just what I want, and great quality too. I got the strap down model obviously.
So when I fit it on the bike, it does not sit well at all. Due to the raised center of the Dakar 'tank', the bag is really laterally unstable. Secondly, the bag base ties to the bike in the front with straps that go around the top part of the forks. The clips only clip to the bag and not the base. The base is held in place by the strap clips simply passing through some stretch loops sewn onto the base. In order to get the bag held tightly enough in position, you have to pull those front straps quite tight, which puts a lot of strain on the stretch loops holding the straps to the base. (Not sure if I'm explaining myself very well here.)
So I don't feel confident that the bag/base will hold up very well to any sort of off road stuff, specifically due to the lateral instability in conjunction with the weak strap loops on the base.

Now on to my request for help. Can anyone specifically recommend a good tank bag for a 2007 Dakar? Not too big... I just need it to hold a digital SLR, wallet, cell phone, and a few other small items. Indeed something that will easily clip on and off, and ideally would have straps to use as a backpack.
Thanks in advance for any advice. A link to an existing thread that covers this question specifically for the DKar would be welcome too.
DakarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #9299
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,394
I like my Wolfman. Easy on, easy off, though it doesn't have backpack straps.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #9300
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwags View Post
I decided to step out of the comfort zone and like you get two different tires. Here's my reasoning.

The Kenda front tire was not to spec and suggested tire is 3 inches taller than normal. So I opted for a correctly sized Mich T63 up front. That bike is tall enough already.

The Mich T63 rear was not in stock but the Kenda K760 (also not to spec) was. However in this case the Kenda was the same OD but is 1/2 wider, so I ordered it.

The load and speed ratings for each are similar. The tread patterns are not that different and the length of the knobs is virtually the same on each tire. On highway it might be a little squirrelly, but off road I think they will compatible. And these guys will be for off road almost exclusively. What do you think, am I crazy or should that work out.

BTW, I did order new tubes and rim strips.
3 inches? 130/90 is only 13mm or 1/2 an inch taller than 130/80. 80/100 is 1mm shorter than 90/90.

You work it out by multiplying the tyre width (130 on the rear) by the profile which is expressed as a percentage (90 or 80).

cheers,
Michael
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote