User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #9346
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 734
Question

Can anyone tell me if there is any kind of o-ring on the oil fill cap on top of the “gas tank”? I got it serviced about 2 months ago and it leaked the whole way home and I parked it and forgot about it till this week. I did get it to go a little tighter then it was but then I took it all the way off and it seems to me that it should have one. Going on a weekend camping trip and would really like to not have oil coming out all weekend.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #9347
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,720
>"Can anyone tell me if there is any kind of o-ring on the oil fill cap on top of the “gas tank”?"

Yes. No o-ring and it leaks. (as you've noticed). Probably best to take the oil cap down to your bike shop or hardware store and fit one.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #9348
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is any kind of o-ring on the oil fill cap on top of the “gas tank”? I got it serviced about 2 months ago and it leaked the whole way home and I parked it and forgot about it till this week. I did get it to go a little tighter then it was but then I took it all the way off and it seems to me that it should have one. Going on a weekend camping trip and would really like to not have oil coming out all weekend.
Not sure how bad your leak is, either way the short term solution would be take the cap O-ring off and put 2 or 3 raps of silicon tape around the groove and then re-install the used O-ring. Great short term remedy. Been done many a times.

2010 Ride Report: Orange Beach, AL to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica
2011 Ride Report: Costa Rica to Panama back to Costa Rica
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #9349
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 734
shit fuck dam! i am never taking that thing to that shop again! off to the hardware store for an O-ring kit. i live in the sticks and will not be able to get home and then back so i will just grab a collection!
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #9350
DakarGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Engine stalls when I put it in gear

So I removed my rear wheel to see if I could get the tire off and back on in the field by myself (which I could but it was a huge PITA).
I cleaned and lubed the chain at the same time. While I had the bike up on the center stand, I started it so that I could warm the chain a little by letting it turn the wheel. As soon as I put it in gear (2nd), the engine quit. I tried a few more times, same thing. I put the battery charger on until the battery was fully charged, and tried again. Made no difference. I tried several times to go from neutral to first or second gear. Same thing. Stalled every time.
If the clutch was not disengaging properly, I would have thought that the rear wheel would just spin while it was on the center stand. It did not. The engine simply died. I tried several more times with the engine at varying RPM, same thing. I looked at the clutch cable tolerances on the 650 FAQ thread here - http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/ClutchAdjustmentFAQ.htm
My 'Dimension A' is right at 50mm, which is good per that link.
It almost seems like it may be electrical to me. When i put it in gear, the only light on the dash is the neutral light. all others go out after a few seconds per normal operating procedure. The last time I rode a week ago, there was no problem...always been a bit of a clunk going into first, but no stalling.
The battery is kinda crappy. It has let me down 3-4 times already. It is a cheapie the previous owner put in when I bought the bike from him.

Anybody have any ideas what this could be and how I can fix it? This is a 2007 Dakar BTW which I bought 3 months ago.

Thanks in advance for your help.
DakarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #9351
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
I don't knw abou tthe center stand but the side stand if down will automatically kill the engine as you know...could that be it?
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #9352
DakarGuy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
I don't knw abou tthe center stand but the side stand if down will automatically kill the engine as you know...could that be it?

Well that is rather embarrassing. Yes. The side stand was out the whole time. Problem solved. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #9353
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Dash problems

Having a problem here, cant seem to figure it out.

My speedo/odo, clock, and tach have all gone out. All the warning lights seem to be working but neither guage.

Battery terminals are clean and tight, the fuses under the seat are good, all the wires look good as far as i can tell and the connectors on the back of the dash seem to be good. I also cant switch between trip and total miles. Still shows the total miles, they just dont change.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem, if so what was your fix? At this point i cant figure it out. Going to take it to the dealer when i get to san francisco.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #9354
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
There have been a number of failures like that with all the year models, no clear answer on the cause but on the early models like yours the ABS sensor wiring is known to cause problems of noise into the dash electronics, chafing on the electronics board is another known problem but mainly affects the trip meter/clock.
I have not had a faulty dash with the symptoms like yours to look at. Others have resolved by picking up a replacement board from accident damaged units from EBay. In some cases it was tracked to bad connections on the socket, try plugging & unplugging a few times
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #9355
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
There have been a number of failures like that with all the year models, no clear answer on the cause but on the early models like yours the ABS sensor wiring is known to cause problems of noise into the dash electronics, chafing on the electronics board is another known problem but mainly affects the trip meter/clock.
I have not had a faulty dash with the symptoms like yours to look at. Others have resolved by picking up a replacement board from accident damaged units from EBay. In some cases it was tracked to bad connections on the socket, try plugging & unplugging a few times
Thanks, ill have to try plugging/unplugging then and see what happens. Not real keen to pull it apart again tho as im on the road and its still running ok.

Ive read about the issues with the abs models but mine doesnt have abs. Kinda baffling. Was working fine then all of a sudden...poof. it was almost like a fuse blew. Started the bike and nothing.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:43 AM   #9356
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
Interesting, I would not be surprised if the electronics internal to the dash were operating at 5v with a voltage converter, possibly protected by an on board surface mount fuse, unfortunately I have not had the time, motivation and a unit to look closely at. No one else seems to have done so either up til now
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #9357
DakarGuy
Adventurer

Touratech Centerstand Review

Received the center stand for my F650 Dakar recently. It took me about 20 minutes to install. The stand itself is top quality and fit perfectly.
I looked at the English instructions for fitting on their website. I didn't follow them exactly though. I found it easier to:
1. Insert the bushings
2. Hook up the springs
3. Swing the stand by hand by pulling the right hand side out to the right of the bike, so that the opposite side bolt (left hand side) could be inserted.
4. Once the left hand side bolt was inserted, I then pivoted the stand around that bolt and insert the right hand side bolt.

I never used any special tools other than a wrench.

I was very disappointed though that the package came with only 3 washers (instead of the four as needed), and ALL THREE were too small for the bolt to pass through!
One has to wonder about the quality control process at the manufacturer when something this simple is overlooked. Wrong count AND wrong size! That would be unacceptable in my profession.

Anyway, I'm happy to have the center stand so that I can change tires and service the chain with minimum effort. And like I said, the stand is a quality product.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #9358
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I got a question concerning tires.

I've got a F650GS non-Dakar (with stock 100/90 19 and 130/80 17 Tourance), what are the maximum dimensions that I can mount on this guy ?

I'd really want Heidenau K60 Scout, but there are only available in 110/80 19 for the front. Will it work ? If not, would a mix of K60 (non Scout) front and a K60 Scout rear work correctly ? What is exactly the difference between the two ?

Thanks !
ar1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #9359
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 504
Sometimes I get these weird ideas...
This one actually came up as my chain already is a poor shape...after just about 4000 km/2500 mi
It will still survive this winter, but it still sucks to have to change the chain and sprockets after just 7000 km/4400 mi

Before anyone says anything, yes I did service my chain at least every 300 km, although I mainly did so in shorter intervals. But then again, it sees a lot of rain, mud, dirt and everything else a chain doesn like.

Back to my weird idea though:
Did anyone ever fit a 525 chain and 525 sprockets to a Bmw F 650 GS (thumper, of course)?

If so, which sprockets were used? I mean, they would obviously have to fit.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #9360
Ian The Pain
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Having a problem here, cant seem to figure it out.

My speedo/odo, clock, and tach have all gone out. All the warning lights seem to be working but neither guage.

Battery terminals are clean and tight, the fuses under the seat are good, all the wires look good as far as i can tell and the connectors on the back of the dash seem to be good. I also cant switch between trip and total miles. Still shows the total miles, they just dont change.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem, if so what was your fix? At this point i cant figure it out. Going to take it to the dealer when i get to san francisco.

Something similar happened to mine. It was my own fault, but after a bit of digging around I found that it wasn't exactly uncommon.

http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php...er-not-working
Ian The Pain is offline   Reply With Quote