Originally Posted by Pootrol View Post
Hi, I have a 2004 twinspark Dakar.
The symptoms.
- it stalls on idle
- when sitting at the lights in fluctuates between 1100-1500 rpm
- when doing a lazy gear down it will cut out
- it doesn't always happen, but usually about 75% of the time
Three things:

1. Whatever oil you use in the bike, make sure it's a 15W or 20W on the cold side (15W-40, 20W-50). The thinner oil confuses the idle speed management on the twin-spark models when they're cold. Took me a LONG time to troubleshoot that one on my 2005.

2. Get the bike to a dealer and have them update the programming in the ECU. The older software had a few bugs in it that would cause stalling and backfiring.

3. Check for vacuum leaks. Most obvious place is the air hoses going to the throttle body from the fuel vapor canister, through a solenoid.

It's almost definitely not the inductive sensor. If that flakes out, the bike just doesn't run.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #9407
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,331
Tomatoe333, he is on the top of Oz, high humidity in the wet season and desert to the south, he has it all up there in spades

Castrol formulates their Activ4T SemiSynthetic to 15w50 for us to meet the extremes with the other recommended oil Power1 GPS synthetic at 10w50
WayneC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #9408
Pootrol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Thanks for ll this, in the last two days, I replaced the oil with 10w50 motul, clutch and throttle cables. And he air filter(another uni filter).
We are just in the start of the wet, so it's been through a couple dry seasons, where the weather is fine and dry and it still has the symptoms.

And I have been Checking the electrics to the best of my ability..

I'll try the hoses.. Not sure how to check that though. I tried booking it in once with th guys up here(only one place in Darwin that does BMW work) and due to me having shift work and not being able to 100% confirm a date for service the Service manager said to me, and I quote "when you get your life sorted out give us a call" so you can understand my resent on wanting to give them my business.

Thanks again.
Dominic
Pootrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 AM   #9409
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,331
Dominic, I remember the BM dealer from my trip up there in 2009, they did seem a little odd & have heard other comments as well over the years. Is there anyone up there with a GS911 ?. You can check the firmware revision with it

You can find some info on the BMS and the firmware revisions in the doc below but I am afraid my info is more detailed for the single spark, the dual spark has been far more stable. One thing the 650X guys have found is the idle is adversely affected by low voltage off the battery, it is to do with the O2 sensor circuit not being protected from voltage variations and leaning off the mixture at low RPM/idle

http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/.../GSECUInfo.pdf
WayneC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #9410
Pootrol
Gnarly Adventurer

Wayne! Thank you, the battery is about 2 months old, so I doubt it is the low voltage...
I'll peruse through the link you just added.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #9411
bkwags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Yes, I should be there. However, I might be in disguise with a 400 Kaw. I have a couple on order but I don't have the brake levers in hand yet. A buddy of mine is letting me borrow his bike for the ride. Will you be riding a Blue Beast?

Question with the Acerbis hand guards did you need to remove the vibration dampners? If so do you notice any difference on the road with handle bar vibration.

BKWags
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
I broke two clutch levers when I had the Toura-Tech hand guards that came on the bike. I have some Acerbis now, and though they don't block the wind as nicely, they are very robust!

Will you be at the Bucky? I'll be there.
bkwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #9412
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
This BMW service bulletin references software version 200E:

http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/Photos/Mi...date-CD-19.pdf

My bike had version 160 of software in the ECU before I had it updated, and they actually went to 210E with the update.

As far as how to check the vacuum hoses, look for splits, cracks, or looseness at fittings. Can't hurt to replace the hoses and clamps with parts from your local auto parts store.

Also, make sure that the gas cap is sealing properly when it closes. Mine stuck halfway open after a fillup, and that caused similar symptoms.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #9413
Pootrol
Gnarly Adventurer

Excellent tomatoe!! I'll do that tomorrow, I know the large screw cap for the fuel tank has a very slight leak I'll try to fix that.

I'll have a chat with the dreaded BMW guys as well about software versions.
I forgot to mention that I have an aftermarket exhaust, but should that make much difference as these symptoms started occurring some time after the install?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #9414
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,918
Also, besides a visual vacuum line inspection, use a can of Brakleen or carb cleaner with one of those little straws stuck in the head. Spray a small amount on suspected lines or connections, then wait a few seconds. SInce the chemicals are flammable, as they are sucked into the engine they will cause a short rise in RPMs. This tells you that there is a leak in the area you just sprayed, visible or not.
Of course, since the stuff is flammeable, be careful and don't catch yourself on fire, duh. You should be spraying tiny amounts on suspected hoses. Also, DO NOT breathe the fumes if it is sprayed on hot areas accidentally. Very toxic.

Hey, it works for me.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #9415
rdalland
Dharma Bun

Oddometer: 332
looking for ABS switch

My ABS switch has quit working, won't turn the ABS off. I jumped the connections and the ABS light started blinking so I know I need a switch. Anyone have one they don't need? Or maybe a suitable replacement?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #9416
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 759
i had the same issue with my ABS switch. I just re-soldered and it works as good as new.
You might try that before replacing the switch.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #9417
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
My ABS switch has quit working, won't turn the ABS off. I jumped the connections and the ABS light started blinking so I know I need a switch. Anyone have one they don't need? Or maybe a suitable replacement?
I replaced mine with a dirt-bike kill switch attached to the handlebar. I cut the wires to the correct lengths and soldered them together with heat-shrink tubing to protect the connections.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #9418
rdalland
Dharma Bun

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
i had the same issue with my ABS switch. I just re-soldered and it works as good as new. You might try that before replacing the switch.
The wires were still connected to the switch and it did not work. I'll test the switch with a multimeter, but I expect that it is no longer working..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
I replaced mine with a dirt-bike kill switch attached to the handlebar. I cut the wires to the correct lengths and soldered them together with heat-shrink tubing to protect the connections.
I will probably go this route if I don't come up with an OEM switch.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #9419
aufevermike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
Just bite the bullet and get one off of Ebay. I paid $25 for mine. Even one off of a K1200 will work.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #9420
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwags View Post
Yes, I should be there. However, I might be in disguise with a 400 Kaw. I have a couple on order but I don't have the brake levers in hand yet. A buddy of mine is letting me borrow his bike for the ride. Will you be riding a Blue Beast?

Question with the Acerbis hand guards did you need to remove the vibration dampners? If so do you notice any difference on the road with handle bar vibration.

BKWags
I'll have the Dakar with me. I just put on a Trailtech light (kind of a mess under it still):

I don't have the stock front end on my bike, as you can see, but I doubt you could get the Acerbis guard on there with them. I'm not sure if there is a hand guard out there that would work with bar end weights other than the stockers. Could be wrong, though.

Also, I did have to shorten the inner mounts a bit because the guards were hitting the dash at full turn. I forget by how much, but it was enough to have to drill down and tap more threads, probably 3/4 of an inch shorter:

Got an oil question:

I know it's not recommended to use synthetic, but the local place (four blocks from my house rather than across town) doesn't have much. They do have a synthetic that is formulated for wet clutches, though, with no friction modifiers. It's an AmsOil. Would it be a bad idea to use this? Thanks!

Obligatory dog pic:

LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote