Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #9466
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayaker View Post
Wife and I are taking a trip tomorrow -- she will be riding her 2009 G650GS. Can the charging system on her bike handle a Gerbing?s jacket and gloves? The only other accessory she has is a set of LED lights.
Absolutely.

I run a Tourmaster jacket and Gerbings gloves on mine, and my voltage monitor never goes out of the "green" range. Nice and toasty.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #9467
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Ran the heated grips on high this morning on my way work. Hop on during lunch and it took about four or five different attempts before it fired up. I have that super light shorai battery. The battery itself is probably two months old. The bike is stock regarding electrics. Is it time to get a trickle charger? Was this battery not the right purchase?
Mr.Dabalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #9468
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

I plan on installing a plugin for my gps or iPhone. Anything I should look into to avoid this problem or dead battery?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #9469
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dabalina View Post
Ran the heated grips on high this morning on my way work. Hop on during lunch and it took about four or five different attempts before it fired up. I have that super light shorai battery. The battery itself is probably two months old. The bike is stock regarding electrics. Is it time to get a trickle charger? Was this battery not the right purchase?
What were you attempting? Did it have enough juice to crank four or five times?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #9470
Renaissanceman
DON'T PANIC!

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Any idea if I should be worried that my clutch doesn't release enough to allow my rear wheel to roll? I rode it this weekend and it was fine. Washed it, and trucked home last, and it didn't want to roll out of the bed. Thought maybe I got some water where it shouldn't be and it froze, but it was still like that this afternoon after it got above freezing. Also seem to have lost the 2mm of play in my lever. It will roll in neutral.

I did just change my oil with 20w-50 and then flailed around some corn fields and woods for a hundred miles. It was very sluggish to start, despite a warm battery. I think it was 30 degrees out in the morning.

Any ideas? Maybe I should take it for a ride to warm up the oil and see if that helps.
It's typical for the clutch to drag when cold - especially with fresh oil. As long as it rolls in neutral, you're fine. I almost always start the bike in neutral - it starts much easier.
2mm? Can you even see that?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #9471
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Dabalina View Post

How cold was it outside? If was it was 20 or less you sometimes need a few cranks. If the battery seemed to get stronger after each attempt that would be the case. If it seemed to fade and you barely got it going then something else.

These bikes have powerful stators for their size and if the heated grips go off with the bike you shouldn't be having battery issues. If the battery was kind of weak to begin with and it was a short cold ride, then don't get a trickle charger. Get a balancing charger made for LifePO4. Plugs into the connector on the side of the battery.... Get it on their site or cheaper from mine.

Jim
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #9472
Mr.Dabalina
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
How cold was it outside? If was it was 20 or less you sometimes need a few cranks. If the battery seemed to get stronger after each attempt that would be the case. If it seemed to fade and you barely got it going then something else.

Jim
It was about 35 out, and did get stronger with each go. My winter plan for the bike is something so I can plug in my iPhone and also a GPS I hope to get from Santa. With plans in the future to get some auxiliary lights. All I know is that I don't ever want to get stranded just because I've got phone plugged in. So I will research the necessities as time comes.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #9473
Skelt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
On the bright side, at least you should be able to call for help!

2007 K1200 GT
1995 R1100GS
2001 F650 GS/Dakar
Skelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #9474
Airhead11
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
First off, hope you are ok. That sucks! Check your pm's, I may have a few parts you are looking for.
Done and done! Thanks Matto
Airhead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #9475
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 327
Oil bypass line

Just installed a oil return line reroute, for that eventual dreaded water pump replacement.

It was fairly easy to do but the line that was sent to me is kinda long so I am trying to find a way to keep it from touching the exhaust pipe. I am going to try using the heavy duty UV resistant zip ties.
Has anyone else done this reroute? How did you secure the steel braided line? I will have to see if the zip ties can stand the heat in that area. Here are some photos.

72 Yamaha 350 street 92 R100GS
07 Versys 08 WR250X

manybike screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 08:17 PM
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #9476
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by manybike View Post
Just installed a oil return line reroute, for that eventual dreaded water pump replacement.

It was fairly easy to do but the line that was sent to me is kinda long so I am trying to find a way to keep it from touching the exhaust pipe. I am going to try using the heavy duty UV resistant zip ties.
Has anyone else done this reroute? How did you secure the steel braided line? I will have to see if the zip ties can stand the heat in that area. Here are some photos.

Is it long enough to wrap around the back side of the clutch like the stock routing of the hard line?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #9477
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 327
Yes it will, but it would be a tight fit and you would have to remove the line to take off the clutch cover which defeats the purpose of the reroute.
The reroute allows you to remove the clutch and water pump covers without draining oil or removing the oil line.

72 Yamaha 350 street 92 R100GS
07 Versys 08 WR250X
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #9478
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
I've never seen a recommendation for viscosity in the GS oil change FAQ but it refers to a generic oil FAQ with a chart: http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/OilFAQ.htm
What i recall hearing most recently is that BMW is telling shops to use 10W40 for all conditions. I went up to 15Wx for summer the year i found a local source for it...

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #9479
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
Is it long enough to wrap around the back side of the clutch like the stock routing of the hard line?
a few of us just cut the metal line and put a piece of rubber line between them.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #9480
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I broke (one more time) my right indicator in a fall today.

It's not the first time, so I fixed it with some glue, no problem. But, I was minding, is there a way to protect them from touching the ground (or that they don't bend and break) ?

Of course, I could buy some flexible from Touratech, but if there is a 2 cent trick that does the same with the stock indicators, I'd prefer...
ar1814 is offline   Reply With Quote