Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #9526
Oros
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Possibly cam chain tensioner. No relationship to rain.
Oros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #9527
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Not much time left for my ripping the stinky ABS system outta bike. So stubborn system. Have completed 7000km- EuroCaucAsia Ride without ABS even under snow and heavy rain. Never had any braking problem. Still using it without ABS. Happiest ever... Add my getting more experienced of braking..
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #9528
mothra
Rally Driver

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by wronski View Post
Perhaps someone can help me diagnose a new kind of noise coming from the engine this week. This comes just after the bike was parked in the rain for about 3 days, which could be completely unrelated.

2001 Dakar
  • Chopping noise coming from engine on each stroke, a slightly metalic clang, makes it sound like a helicopter.
  • Seems to be coming from top left (clutch side) of engine.
  • Can be audible when stationary at idle, when clutch is pulled, and up to about 2K revs.
  • Seems to either be muffled or goes away above 3K revs.
  • Relatively quiet on cold start, gets louder as the bike warms up.
Thanks

These are noisy engines. A friend told me early on in my thumper ownership that when I needed to worry was when the engine started running quiet.

'02 F650GS Dakar
'09 HUSBERG FE450
mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #9529
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by wronski View Post
Perhaps someone can help me diagnose a new kind of noise coming from the engine this week. This comes just after the bike was parked in the rain for about 3 days, which could be completely unrelated.

2001 Dakar
  • Chopping noise coming from engine on each stroke, a slightly metalic clang, makes it sound like a helicopter.
  • Seems to be coming from top left (clutch side) of engine.
  • Can be audible when stationary at idle, when clutch is pulled, and up to about 2K revs.
  • Seems to either be muffled or goes away above 3K revs.
  • Relatively quiet on cold start, gets louder as the bike warms up.
Thanks
Could be the cam chain tensioner, they do get jammed shut some times. Pull it out and have a look.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #9530
ColoradoV-Strom
HEY Y'ALL WATCHIS!!

Oddometer: 497
grip heaters

I am installing cheapo grip heaters on my '02 Dakar. Where is the safest place to pull power from?

TIA
ColoradoV-Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #9531
wronski
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Re: Diagnose this Noise

Thanks everyone. Will check out the cam-chain tensioner.
wronski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #9532
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,318
Re heated grips connection, use the 3 pin BMW plug in the electrical box

Be warned the orange wire is a resistive wire and shorting it to ground can cause a nice little bit of heating of the wiring harness as someone else found out recently
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #9533
ColoradoV-Strom
HEY Y'ALL WATCHIS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
Re heated grips connection, use the 3 pin BMW plug in the electrical box

Be warned the orange wire is a resistive wire and shorting it to ground can cause a nice little bit of heating of the wiring harness as someone else found out recently

sorry, I should have added this is the first time I've had the covers off. Where is this box with the 3 pin connector?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #9534
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Electrical box is under the bodywork behind the steering head

Should have put it into my initial reply, you can grab electrical diagram of the STD heated grip wiring here

http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/HeatedGrips.html
Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #9535
ColoradoV-Strom
HEY Y'ALL WATCHIS!!

I found the electrical box, and took the cover off. I also found the 3 pin acc. socket. I can't use that because I cant get to the wires behind it. I am not installing the factory grips, and am just looking for a hot wire that is only on when the key is on.
((I dont have a plug to fit the 3 pin socket)
Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #9536
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Should be able to buy one easily enough, either from a dealer or accessory shop / electronics shop
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #9537
ColoradoV-Strom
HEY Y'ALL WATCHIS!!

Wow! what a mess this headlight assembly is. My headlight seems to just be floating inside the shroud. Is that right?

Also back to this heated grip wiring, Does it matter which post on the 3 pin outlet I connect to? There are 3 and I only need one.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #9538
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Re heated grip wiring, color codes etc are in the wiring diagram I posted links to

The Green/Black wire is switched power
The Black wire is full power to STD grips
The Orange Resistor wire delivers 1/2 power to the STD Grips (Horrible way of doing it)

The orange & Black wires are connected in the electrical box and go to 2 separate 2 pin connectors for L & R Grips
Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #9539
ColoradoV-Strom
HEY Y'ALL WATCHIS!!

yes but that is for factory grips,
Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #9540
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 502
Dakar Purchasing advice

Folks,

Considering getting a Dakar for my son to use. Will be used by me as well and my wife. My son and I have plans to travel to South America when he graduates. He is 17 and has never ridden a motorcycle, so the F650 seems to be a good starter bike for him, a cheap alternative to get him an adventure type bike without breaking my bank account. He can flatfoot the standard F650 and he has thrown a leg over a Seratao and it appears to be a good fit. With luggage and such it will be lower. We may do a norhtern Yukon/Alaska trip this summer to get his riding chops up to speed for the bigger SA trip.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////
A couple of questions...
What are these things worth?

I am looking at 2 bikes at the moment.

1) A 2006 model (~10K miles) for around $7K (includes Jesse bags, handle bar risers, PIAA lights, carash bars, etc..) looks ready to go. I did a small test ride in the neighborhood and it seems pretty solid.

2) Also looking at another one (have yet to see it), a 2007 model (~4K miles on it) for about $6K. It has some scratches on the tank and rear panels. Owner used it pretty good on off road travel... wants to move on to a KTM (more dirt oreintated for him). It has very litte in the way of Farkles though. Fork Seals have already been replaced.

So I am weighing in on the value of each. My son doesn't need a fully farkled bike while he is learning.

Addtionally, my wife used to have a lowered 650 and I couldn't ride it. I'm 6'3". So it felt like a clown bike fro me. The Dakar seems to fit me better. In the short test ride of one, it seemed OK . I currently have a R1200GSA but wouldn't mind a Dakar for weekend excursions into the mountains. The big GS is fun, but limited. So I am aksing if I am too big for the Dakar? I know it sounds abit selfish, because I am buying this for my son to use. But in the interest of multifunctional, multi purposing, I would use it as well. Especially while he is in school. Maybe even as an occasional commuter. No sense in letting the bike sit at $4/gal gas prices

In my short ride on the Dakar, I noticed it seemd to turn smoother (especially at lower speeds) than my wifes lowered 650 GS and a standard height GS, which I also test rode. Is it me? or does the turning stability of the F650s seem a bit different to you folks (my wife noticed this as well). The Daker feels more stable in turning, and I suspect it has to do with the geometry (higher suspension, bigger front wheel, etc..)

One other question. I noticed that the Dakrs have a little canister of some sort mounted to the frame by the oil filter (looks a like a chain oiler). I don't see these on the regular 650s ? Is it an oil resivoir for the suspension? Just curious.

In any event, I appreciate what ever advice you folks can give me. I know you folks are biased towards the Dakar and that's alright. I have 30K miles on my R1200GSA and am partial to BMW at this point as well.
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote