Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #9556
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 465
Wow Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Each bike had mis-matched plastics from 2001-2004. Only one did I repaint to OEM. Hope it helps. Rattlecan is cheap but so is Earl Sheib!

Those look sweet in black. Nice fleet... You should sell me one

Regards,
RR: Bella Coola 2013 / Bella Coola Canada 2012
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #9557
Spyker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Each bike had mis-matched plastics from 2001-2004. Only one did I repaint to OEM. Hope it helps. Rattlecan is cheap but so is Earl Sheib!

Love the matt black!
Spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #9558
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
I did the indicator light mod for LED signals yesterday. I haven't tried 4 LEDs yet, but when i put it back together it still works at least. Piecing together Radioshack diodes for this was really ugly, i'd strongly suggest getting the premade component online.

Now i have to figure out how to mount the generic LED signals on the front. Does anyone who has done this have pics/instructions to give me something to work off of?
Old 11-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #9559
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead11 View Post
Can any of my Dakar brothers help me troubleshoot why my 03, won't start? I'm repairing her after getting rear ended. She started after that but has now been sitting for two months and when I put the key in the dash clock comes on, but I get nothing else.. Battery is good, fuses are good. I've only been able to locate one fuse box- is there another one? Before the accident she would occasionally have trouble starting- I've read this sometimes happens with the Dakar. Today I'm thinking about taking out the starter relay and seeing if that's bad. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Might be that your ignition witch finally gave out (cylinder below the key)
Try removing it and clean every contact surface to see if that helps. If not you might need a new switch.

Here's a few pics of how mine looked when I had to replace it last year. Bike's a 2001 (bough new in fall 2002 and had about 41k miles on it when the switch had to be replaced)

These look bad and I cleaned them up, but it didn't help

Because this was the problem. Filled with crud and actually worn out (cleaning these didn't help either)

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #9560
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Rear master cylinder

Ive been having a problem with my rear brake losing pressure. When I bleed the master cylinder it comes back for a little while, before it loses pressure again and I have to bleed it again. Im thinking its time for a rebuild.

I found the repair kit for $11 on BikeBandit. Is that all I need??

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #9561
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

As long as it is the full kit from Brembo, with a bunch of parts including a replacement for the plastic inner sleeve. I was trying to get one all summer and the US suppliers were out of stock, so i ordered a whole used cylinder for $45.

There is also something OEM that BMW calls a 'kit' which is a seal for the piston with some lubricant. Overpriced and useless for me...
Old 11-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #9562
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Coyote View Post
As long as it is the full kit from Brembo, with a bunch of parts including a replacement for the plastic inner sleeve. I was trying to get one all summer and the US suppliers were out of stock, so i ordered a whole used cylinder for $45.

There is also something OEM that BMW calls a 'kit' which is a seal for the piston with some lubricant. Overpriced and useless for me...
Gotcha. Have a feeling that the one I was looking at was the BMW kit.

Know of a website to order the full Brembo kit??

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
Old 11-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #9563
dansin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Gotcha. Have a feeling that the one I was looking at was the BMW kit.

Know of a website to order the full Brembo kit??
I think this is what you need chap.
dansin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #9564
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansin View Post
I think this is what you need chap.
Thank you much.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
Old 11-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #9565
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

That's the one i had on order. They checked when i ordered and found that some of the seals in the kit were wrong, so good quality control at least from Yoyodyne not making me spend countless hours trying to figure out what was wrong. They couldn't get the proper part from Hong Kong however, and it still says out of stock. You could try this which is twice the price, but still cheaper than a whole unit if you don't mind messing with the innards yourself...
Old 11-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #9566
dansin
Gnarly Adventurer

I found the same thing online in the uk here. Alternatively my fix for a sticking rear master cylinder is in this thread.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #9567
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Two quick questions :

1) is it possible to mount the Barkbuster handguard (thoses sold by Touratech) on the stock bars (with heated grips and without bar risers) ?

If no, same question but with risers (and longer brake line).

2) Are the bars on the G650GS different from the ones on the F650GS and Dakar ?
ar1814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #9568
dansin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1814 View Post
Two quick questions :

1) is it possible to mount the Barkbuster handguard (thoses sold by Touratech) on the stock bars (with heated grips and without bar risers) ?

If no, same question but with risers (and longer brake line).

2) Are the bars on the G650GS different from the ones on the F650GS and Dakar ?
I think they'll catch the front cowling if you don't fit the risers. I didn't need a longer brake line when using the risers that came with the barkbusters kit. Just undo the bar clamps, roll the bars forward, fit the risers, bars back and clamp using the longer bolts.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #9569
Bruce H
Bruce H

Oddometer: 152
my vote is for #1

My vote is for #1, my not need the farkles but will in the futurer. Most likely canister you see is part of the rear shock.

[QUOTE=THX_337;20083947]Folks,

Considering getting a Dakar for my son to use. Will be used by me as well and my wife. My son and I have plans to travel to South America when he graduates. He is 17 and has never ridden a motorcycle, so the F650 seems to be a good starter bike for him, a cheap alternative to get him an adventure type bike without breaking my bank account. He can flatfoot the standard F650 and he has thrown a leg over a Seratao and it appears to be a good fit. With luggage and such it will be lower. We may do a norhtern Yukon/Alaska trip this summer to get his riding chops up to speed for the bigger SA trip.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////
A couple of questions...
What are these things worth?

I am looking at 2 bikes at the moment.

1) A 2006 model (~10K miles) for around $7K (includes Jesse bags, handle bar risers, PIAA lights, carash bars, etc..) looks ready to go. I did a small test ride in the neighborhood and it seems pretty solid.

2) Also looking at another one (have yet to see it), a 2007 model (~4K miles on it) for about $6K. It has some scratches on the tank and rear panels. Owner used it pretty good on off road travel... wants to move on to a KTM (more dirt oreintated for him). It has very litte in the way of Farkles though. Fork Seals have already been replaced.

So I am weighing in on the value of each. My son doesn't need a fully farkled bike while he is learning.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #9570
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809

anyone interested in the extra 1 quart fuel can for a f650gs dakar? im cleaning out some parts and seeing if any interest before i ebay it. thanks!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote