Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #9646
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_337 View Post
I need to replace the brake and clutch levers. Any advice? The oem ones are $$$$. I want something that works with the current oem hand guards as they don't seem to interfere with th wind screen. The previous owner cut the knobs off and hand installed non oem guards. They hit the wind screen and I don't like them. So, off they went and on with the oem guards.. Which are a bit scuffed now due to my son dumping the bike. But that's ok. When he's a seasoned pro, I'll replace them or... he can ... Hopefully he will adopt the bike as his own when he starts working :-)
i bought a set for my 02 dakar from parts unlimited. they were about 5 bucks each and fit nice.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #9647
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
I need to replace the brake and clutch levers. Any advice? The oem ones are $$$$. I want something that works with the current oem hand guards as they don't seem to interfere with th wind screen. The previous owner cut the knobs off and had installed non oem guards. They hit the wind screen and I don't like them. So, off they went and on with the oem guards.. Which are a bit scuffed now due to my son dumping the bike. But that's ok. When he's a seasoned pro, I'll replace them or... he can ... Hopefully he will adopt the bike as his own when he starts working :-)
check one of my posts a few pages back, I have the dennis kirk part # listed

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #9648
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
check one of my posts a few pages back, I have the dennis kirk part # listed

Thanks guys...

@Dwayne.. Just checked your RR eports up to Kinbasket Lake and the Yukon. Awesome!!! I've been up that way several times w/backpacks and Kayaks. Never on my bike. The Kinbasket trip is on my radar now. Maybe next summer
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars

GrizzLee screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 12:22 PM
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #9649
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
BMW Dakars and parts in Flea Market

Just dropped two of my Dakars and spare parts in the Flea Market. Hoping to find them new loving and adventurous owners. Keeping my main Dakar and looking to get a F800GS or a 800XC!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848834

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848831

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post20256205
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #9650
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Front Fender

I think this is my first post in this thread. Lots of good stuff in here.

In reading this thread I know that lots of folks have replaced or customized their front fenders.

I just finished a ride with a buddy around Oklahoma. This was the first time the effectiveness of my stock fender came into play; since buying the bike there hasn't been much mud or anything wet around where I live. I ride a 2002 GS that's been mostly converted to a Dakar by a p.o., but does not have the front beak extension. He rode a stock Dakar with the extension and I got quite a bit more mud and splatter than he did.

So, with cost and ease of installation a consideration, my question to the board is, at $50 or so, is the BMW beak extension worth it?
Is it worth the trouble to go with a completely different fender, maybe even mounted lower?

Thanks for the help.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #9651
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
Others can comment on the stock one, I will simply say a low fender and mud can be a lethal combination
There is a video floating round of how one Oz rider found out the hard way with an 800km air ambulance trip ending
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #9652
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post
So, with cost and ease of installation a consideration, my question to the board is, at $50 or so, is the BMW beak extension worth it?
Is it worth the trouble to go with a completely different fender, maybe even mounted lower?
I had the same issue, destroying two helmet face shields on one trip. I ended up completely removing the beak and replacing it with a Polisport universal high fender. It took some drilling and modification to mount up to the stock lower triple, though when I did the Yamaha fork conversion, it was a piece of cake to mount. I had to relocate the horn to the downtube of the frame, which required some cutting, splicing, and soldering. Total cost was less than the replacement visors for my helmet.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #9653
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
By coincidence an eastern european contact sent me the link below of his beak mod to a 2001 tonight, says it bolted on no mods

He has fitted the 2009 beak and reports it is better than the 2001, the F twin spark owners here reported the 2003-05 beak was worse than the 2001, looking at the pics in the link below it seems the later ones are wider, I dont know, never looked at them closely

http://f650.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1127
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #9654
grimstone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Front 650gs fender

Thanks Wayne for the promo :)
In fact that fender looks better (I have to repaint it in red thow) and it seems that is not sending so much mud in my face (i rode a little today in muddy snow and water and the windscreen was dry in comparison the former fender which spilled me even if I passed throu a little water)
grimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #9655
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
I need to replace the brake and clutch levers. Any advice? The oem ones are $$$$. I want something that works with the current oem hand guards as they don't seem to interfere with th wind screen. The previous owner cut the knobs off and had installed non oem guards. They hit the wind screen and I don't like them. So, off they went and on with the oem guards.. Which are a bit scuffed now due to my son dumping the bike. But that's ok. When he's a seasoned pro, I'll replace them or... he can ... Hopefully he will adopt the bike as his own when he starts working :-)
Check eBay if the other sites people mentioned earlier don't have them in stock. Someone mentioned the Parts Unlimited levers. Very cheap and work just fine. At the time I needed it, only eBay had the PU clutch lever in black. It's worth a look if you can't find it elsewhere.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #9656
Don Coyote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Beware that the the aftermarket clutch levers lack a little nub that triggers the starter cut out when the clutch is engaged. Normally not something to concern folks around here, but it sounds like your son might benefit from that feature... ;-)
Old 12-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #9657
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Tomatoe333,

That looks good and a lot more functional. It's maybe more than what I'm wanting to get into right now, though.

Wayne,
Thanks for the info. I hadn't considered mud build-up on a low fender.
Grimstone's bike looks nice.

I found some good info on the Chain Gang site, too, which I hadn't thought to check before.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #9658
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Wtd,rear shock (lowered) pref. Mexico

Hi guys,
A friend I'm riding with has blown her rear shock and needs a replacement (F650GS 2005) its the lowered version.
We're in Puerto Escondido, Mexico for the Christmas holidays, so one close to here would be fantastic and probably too much to hope for ;)
Any of you lot out there got anything?

Cheers
Pete

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #9659
Seventh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Question Bike Dies at 3k-4k :P

Hi folks,

Happy holidays! Been lurking here and on f650.com, and my bike is dying. I've tried all the fixes short of replacing the injector.

http://youtu.be/bIEjxdghhsU

This is a 2004 Twin Spark BMW F650GS. It's been dying at speed on the freeway, usually on 5th at 80kph, with a loss of power, a tach flux, and a sputter, followed by a panicked coast from the fast lane to the shoulder. There's a dead spot right there too - on those times it doesn't die, it simply gives no power.

It's been in and out of the dealers' very expensive service bay with no results, and the money I gave them could have been used to buy gasoline to burn the bike and make s'mores. Here's what's been done:

1. Fuel filter replaced
2. Fuel pump replaced
3. Spark plugs replaced
4. Injector cleaned
5. Oil changed
6. Battery changed

I took it out this morning, and there's an improvement - it's dying regularly, and I can replicate the error. Does anyone have any other options?
Seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #9660
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
I'd try electrical like check for chafing in all the known areas plus the whole harness.
Voltage Regulator- check voltage being output at all RPM's
I'd even check out the sidestand switch, kill switch wiring at switch, etc.
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote