Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #9826
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
SFAIK, there are no such thing as aftermarket plastics for the F650GS/Dakar. Those plastics do look to be repainted.

I think it's a given, buying a used Dakar, that it's been dropped at least once. So long as there isn't any serious structural damage, and the front fork lowers aren't cracked, you should be okay.
Pull off the covers that the front turn signals are bolted to. It's four screws. Mine cracked there after a few good spills... But the panels were still more than usable, although I've since trimmed the front off when I ditched my dash.

...Woops, didn't mean to quote that post, but I think you know what I'm talking about...

LoJack screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 02:00 PM Reason: derp
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #9827
JoeSport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Depends. I recently bought a Dakar and felt that prices were all over the map. Most of the bikes selling for $6000 were significantly modded, had nice luggage, fork swaps, the touratech catalog thrown at them etc. The newer '06 up bikes were also around $6000+. The older, low mileage bikes seemed to be in the $4500-5000 range.

As a data point I bought my Dakar Capt America bike with BMW luggage and highway bars, with 25k miles on it for $4650. It was a 1 owner bike, all maintenance records, always garaged, wiht two seats in perfect condition.

Based on my research, that seemed like a good price to pay for one, I'd looked at an '05 with the same mileage but with slightly more mods that was $6800 and one with twice the mileage that was in poor condition that was $3800. Other bikes listed here on this site that sounded the same were listed with asking prices of $4800-5300.

So if the bike is truly in great shape and it's the color you want (I really wanted a Capt America bike) and you can move him down a little, it's worth it.
Thanks for your thoughts! I'm going have a dealership do a safety inspection on that '05 shown above. That '05 has been dropped or something, because it has a new paint job and there were obvious signs when I test drove it. I don't like the looks as much as the '03 but he's selling for $1,200 less. The '05 has 12K mi and no luggage, but if there's no structural damage from the drop that it took than I will probably go for it.
JoeSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #9828
Got2Moto
Got2MotoGraphics

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSport View Post

Has anyone seen an '05 Dakar that looks like this coming of the showroom floor? I am considering buying it, but I think it might have been dropped and the plastic replaced? Thanks -
Sweet looking custom with mod's!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #9829
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
Quote:

I'm looking at this '03 Dakar with 5,000 miles. It has luggage and looks clean. The guy wants $6,000. Way over blue book, but am I going to get a deal like this again?
I bought my 03 Dakar with just over 4k miles on it, no luggage, six years ago in 2007 and paid $5,400, which was high retail at the time. Personally, I believe the 03's were among the best years - at least mine has been - as it is now at 82k miles and still runs great and uses no oil. However, $6,000 seems a bit high for a 10-year-old bike that sold new for around $8K.

One thing you might use to negotiate on price is the fact that the pre-2004 bikes have the old-style fork lowers that can break at the axle. The newer ones have a beefier casting at the axle. When my bike was in an accident in 2010 my right side fork broke off at the axle.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would not ride a pre-2004 model F650GS or Dakar with the stock (old style forks). On mine I did the YZ fork conversion. It handles much better and I don't worry about the front end coming apart when going down the road.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #9830
GSBS
FunHog

Another thing to consider...

...is that with just 5K miles in 10 years, that's around 500 miles per year on the bike, which means it's likely sat up for extended periods without being run. It's my opinion that with anything mechanical it's better if the moving parts are exercised regularly than to be allowed to sit idle. As you may know, these Rotax motors are notorious for needing water pump seal replacement. Most seem to go 20-30K miles before the seals need replacing. My bike was ridden almost daily until it was wrecked with 72K on the clock and I'd never had any issues with the water pump seals. It sat for almost 18 months after the accident before I got it on the road again due and within less than 2K miles the weep hole began dripping coolant, indicating time to change the seals. I can't prove it, but my experience leads me to believe these seals and other moving parts are happier if they're worked regularly.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #9831
Baams
n00bs FTW

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
...is that with just 5K miles in 10 years, that's around 500 miles per year on the bike, which means it's likely sat up for extended periods without being run. It's my opinion that with anything mechanical it's better if the moving parts are exercised regularly than to be allowed to sit idle. As you may know, these Rotax motors are notorious for needing water pump seal replacement. Most seem to go 20-30K miles before the seals need replacing. My bike was ridden almost daily until it was wrecked with 72K on the clock and I'd never had any issues with the water pump seals. It sat for almost 18 months after the accident before I got it on the road again due and within less than 2K miles the weep hole began dripping coolant, indicating time to change the seals. I can't prove it, but my experience leads me to believe these seals and other moving parts are happier if they're worked regularly.
Never had problems with the waterpump seal. mine has 145k on it ;)
Baams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #9832
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baams View Post
dang i hope mine goes that far!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #9833
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
I'm curious - since you have 145K miles on your bike and you're the only person I know with more miles on one than mine - has it been ridden regularly? Has it ever sat for months or years without running? My theory is that riding regularly keeps the seals conditioned and that not running shortens their life.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #9834
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm curious - since you have 145K miles on your bike and you're the only person I know with more miles on one than mine - has it been ridden regularly? Has it ever sat for months or years without running? My theory is that riding regularly keeps the seals conditioned and that not running shortens their life.
good question. i was wondering the same thing. i ride mine about 1000 to 1500 miles a month but when i bought it, the guy rode it about 600 miles in 6 years so i had to put the waterpump seals in when i got it.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #9835
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Quote:

Has anyone seen an '05 Dakar that looks like this coming of the showroom floor? I am considering buying it, but I think it might have been dropped and the plastic replaced? Thanks -

Stock just with a repaint. If its a Dakar and it's riden properly then it's been offroad and probably dropped a few times. They're dualsport/adventure bikes not cruisers. Some of us have repainted our plastics. Sometimes from drops, replacement panels or hell even in my case to get rid of the Captain America scheme (I just didn't like it). That's a sweet ride regardless. Good luck in your search.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #9836
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 478
Quote:

I'm looking at this '03 Dakar with 5,000 miles. It has luggage and looks clean. The guy wants $6,000. Way over blue book, but am I going to get a deal like this again?

Its all about peace of mind and what you think it is worth.

I recently purchased a 2006 Dakar for $7K after looking for many moons. Prices all over the map. I think bluebook is a guide for resellers and insurance companies. The keyword being "guide".

What sold me was having looked at regular 650 GSs with all the farkles I wanted/needed with used prices around $5K to $7k. Being 6'3', I really didn/t fit the regular 650s. And I knew my son would fit a Dakar pretty well and I could possibly ride it to work and save somw gas $$$. The kicker was when I went to the BMW dealership and priced out a new Sertao (just for grins) ... $10K out the door for a bare bones bike!!! Suddenly, a used farkled bike looked like a great deal. This site and F650.com are great resources, BTW.

Needless to say, I then refined my search to just dual spark Dakars with farkles I knew I'd need/want, based upon my R1200 GSA experience and the fact the Dakar would be the bike my son would tour with me. After many dead ends, I found one. It was perfect. A 2006 w/10,000 miles on it. It was loaded, after market front suspension, handlebar risers. pivot pegs, Piaa Lights, panniers, center stand, crash bars, GPS, etc... the list went on and on. If the bike had been dumped, I couldn't tell, save for the left side pannier scratches. I trusted the seller and he was very knowledgeable and in fact, was selling to upgrade to 1200 GS. It was perfect and ready to go on tour from the day I road it form his garage to my house.

In any event, my son dumped it a few times on his first riding lesson and hasn't dumped it since. He loves the bike and was disapointed that he can't use it in the Motrocycle Safety Class.

For what I got, I was very comfortable with the price I paid. There are many bikes on Craigslist and at dealers during any given time. My advice. Be patient. When the right bike comes along, you'll know its right. +/- 2 or 3 hundred dollars for a good bike shouldn't be a deal breaker if the bike is right for you.

See my son on his Dakar taking his first lessons from his 'ol man...
http://rubikonadventures.blogspot.co...-gs-dakar.html

He and I are going to have some good times together. I'm pretty sure of that. 'spensive.. Hell Yes. It's more than a toy. It is a life experience and I only get one chance at this time with my son. The bike experience will be one of many adventures I've had with him trekking in the Yukon and paddling the in the north. Money well spent on a good kid for a lifetime of memories IMHO.

You know you must be doing something right... When we were coming home from a 10 day kayak trekking trip up in northern B.C. one year, my son (who was 10 at the time) says, "Papa, if I ever have a son, will you take him out kayaking and hiking? I want him to have as much fun as we do. I may be working and you will have the time to do this with him". Priceless my friends. Priceless!
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #9837
Baams
n00bs FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
good question. i was wondering the same thing. i ride mine about 1000 to 1500 miles a month but when i bought it, the guy rode it about 600 miles in 6 years so i had to put the waterpump seals in when i got it.
Quote:

kilometer not miles :P
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #9838
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
kilometer not miles :P
i dont know the conversion but thats still a lot of miles, isnt it around 100,000 miles?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #9839
ElReyDelSofa
Desubicado

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
I paid $6,500 for my 2006 3 years ago with 5,400 miles on the clock. Jesse luggage, half the Touratech catalog, and power hungry PIAA lights (soon to be replaced with LED's). I haven't looked back and get asked often if I am looking to sell. Great bike and at 6'4" fits me great once I installed bar risers.

Saludos,

Martín

'06 F650GS Dakar
ElReyDelSofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #9840
Baams
n00bs FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i dont know the conversion but thats still a lot of miles, isnt it around 100,000 miles?
90098 miles

The only thing that has been a real issue on the bike is actually the electrics. I'm proberly going to redo all of it soon since all the cables are degrading. I guess i have one of the good ones