Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #10051
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,641
I'm thinking about taking the ABS off my Dakar, to lose weight and add under-seat storage. Looked for a thread,since I'm sure it's been done, but couldn't find one. IIRC, I'll need a new front brake line, rear too? And what else?

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #10052
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
I'm thinking about taking the ABS off my Dakar, to lose weight and add under-seat storage. Looked for a thread,since I'm sure it's been done, but couldn't find one. IIRC, I'll need a new front brake line, rear too? And what else?

1911fan
I did mine last year and haven't regretted it for a minute.

First of all, when removing the ABS modulator unit, I'd highly recommend removing the gas tank/subframe assembly to make it easier to get to. I didn't and spent the better part of two hours first taking the ABS modulator apart and removing in two pieces.

And yes, you need a new rear brake line. I ordered the non-ABS version for about $25 from MAX BMW.

Also, you'll have to jump a couple of wires in the connector to the ABS modulator to make the speedometer work because it reads off the rear wheel ABS ring. There's a "how-to" at the end of this document.

The only other thing you need to do is remove the bulb for the ABS in the instrument cluster. Otherwise it'll be flashing all the time the bike is turned on. You may also want to disconnect the ABS switch on the handlebars as well.

Good Luck!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #10053
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
GSBS, that procedure at the end of my doc does work ?, was hoping someone could confirm if it was correct

The thing which mystifies me is that the dash lamp does not flash on non-ABS machines which have a different wiring harness. Suggests to me that there is a wire in the non-ABS harness supplying 12v (I suspect) to the ABS input to the dash. Have not had time to follow it up and work it out
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #10054
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
GSBS, that procedure at the end of my doc does work ?, was hoping someone could confirm if it was correct

The thing which mystifies me is that the dash lamp does not flash on non-ABS machines which have a different wiring harness. Suggests to me that there is a wire in the non-ABS harness supplying 12v (I suspect) to the ABS input to the dash. Have not had time to follow it up and work it out
Worked fine for me. That was almost 12K miles ago.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #10055
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Hyperpro suspension upgrade

I decided to post this at the tail end of an older thread instead of starting a new one...

I've been playing around with lightening my bike and improving performance for some time. Posted many times of the 650 Dakar thread.

I've made my own 1" lift dogbones which started out as 7075Aluminum (See pic)

which was too brittle and then the 6061 Aluminum which has been great. Enjoyed the whole setup for a few years and then pre-ran the 2011 KotW Rally with notmybikemodelname and destroyed my WP rear shock. Snapped the clevis pin and did another Mcgyver rig to ride it 250 miles back to Tonapah, NV.

Sent it to Trailtricks to fix and he had it for 6 months and finally said he couldn't get parts for it. He's gone and so is the shock so I ended up buying a used OEM Dakar shock a year ago. No problems with the shock, but it dropped the seat height of my bike, so I raised the WP forks in the clamps to compensate. Never been a good set up and the geometry of the bike is wrong for off-road. I spent some time researching options and contacted EPM PERFORMANCE who got back to me right away!

Very good customer service and prices. Spoke to Klaus on the phone and he gave me some options. Decided to send the WP forks in for new springs and service, ordered this unit (Sans preload ajuster...never used mine much) with a ride height increase of 1.5" to bring the bike back up. I'm 6'1" and liked the tall seat.

So measured the sag, compression, static, stroke of all my existing suspension, and dropped the forks to ship to EPM in New Jersey.

More to come when the suspension comes back. Going to be selling the Dakar shock if anyone is interested PM me.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #10056
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet View Post
Very good customer service and prices. Spoke to Klaus on the phone and he gave me some options. Decided to send the WP forks in for new springs and service, ordered this unit (Sans preload ajuster...never used mine much) with a ride height increase of 1.5" to bring the bike back up. I'm 6'1" and liked the tall seat.

This pictured shock has a preload adjuster.
As a matter of interest, what does it have instead of the preload adjuster? Ring nuts? Is the preload still adjustable, just not as easily?
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #10057
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

I'll post up a pic tomorrow. (Its already tomorrow) Purple dial is high-speed compression adjustment and gold dial is low-speed. The preload doesn't have a dial adjuster anymore, but I never felt the need for one.

BTW the Showa shock is for sale in the Fleamarket:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=867548

herrhelmet screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 12:09 PM
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #10058
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Shock Comparison

Here's the shocks side-by-side:

The longer Hyperpro went in just fine. I have 1" ride height increase dogbones but if it's too tall, I can go back to the stockers and drop it.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #10059
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,928
Thinking I may have fucked up....

Couple of weeks ago I was posting alot about different wheels and ended up bidding on a 19'' front 650 Aprilia Pegaso wheel. Winning bid was 35,- and it was mine

It arrived today so I wasn't screwed by some scumbag online thief, but it looks like crap though - guess you can't expect much for $53, but it certainly looked better in the eBay pic....it's clearly been winter ridden

I'll get that cleaned up later in the spring, more concerning though is that I'm not sure it'll fit...

Left hand side - Brake disc/ rotor side:

RHS:

Anyone know if it'll fit ?
What are these pins ? I've never studied mine, but I'm pretty sure those aren't on the OEM 21'' that came with my bike
Do I just need new bearings ?

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #10060
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
dogbones

Herrhelmet,
Drop me a pm if you are selling your dogbones.. Been wanting to increase my rear. Cannot afford on a new shock at the moment.
Thanks..
Btw your sycl batt rocks... My riding buddies keep asking when is the next group buy...
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #10061
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

odometer gear

gravelseeker...
That looks like the gear/tooth for the speedometer... I believe the pegaso uses conventional speedometer system..
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #10062
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
Herrhelmet,
Drop me a pm if you are selling your dogbones.. Been wanting to increase my rear. Cannot afford on a new shock at the moment.
Thanks..
Btw your sycl batt rocks... My riding buddies keep asking when is the next group buy...
I don't have any of the 6061 bones (which rock) My last set is on my bike, but I'd consider another run if I can get 10 people interested. I don't remember the exact cost, but under $100 set.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #10063
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

dogbones

put me on the list anytime...
Old 03-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #10064
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
yea looks like a speedometer gear to me too. old style speedometer drive tabs.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #10065
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
Thinking I may have fucked up....
Wow Thomas. That is some major pitting. I have an extra front wheel I might unload, but shipping could be a bitch.