Nesbocaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #11507
Notnewchevy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
blown hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbocaj View Post
Well I do know that when you think you have not even a gasp of air left in the system, there is lots more in there, What has worked for me so far is to hook a small funnel to a piece of clear hose and attach the hose to the bleed nipple (opened a bit) then suspend the whole deal by placing the funnel between the right grip and the brake lever.

I filled the funnel about half way, and kept filling it as the engine heated up, This went on for quite a while, the engine kept burping up air, and the antifreeze kept getting sucked in. I was also squeezing all of the hoses.

So two heat cycles, both to the level of fan running, no blown off hose. I'll abuse the bike on a few more hills to see if the issue still exists.

Oil changed, fresh antifreeze, neither was contaminated, or with smell to make one think they were either burned or contaminated. I have the oil that came out in a glass cylinder to see if there is any separation, we will see.

Also I had a pair of dirtskins on the forks, both would not stay down, so maybe they blocked some air. They are now off.

I have also replaced all of the hoses. I believe the second blow off of the hose was due to air in the system from the first.

I don't buy the notion that the head suddenly warped, especially after a problem free hot summer riding at low speeds up and down nasty dirt and gravel hills.

Best luck!
Thanks for the reply. I will tell my buddy to hold off on the headgasket for a while. We are all most into winter now and him holding off won't hurt a thing. looking forward to the ride report. Ride it hard and lets hope everything stays together.
Notnewchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #11508
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Here are the other pics from grumpyoldgastard's 3000,000km machine

Now that is a nice color there
Old 09-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #11509
wiz.au
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Renthal bars on F650

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
The methods of runnung the wiring through bars was well documented by michnus at f650 and here from memory

http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php?22683
Wish you'd posted this before for me! I didn't know about that thread....it's exactly what I'm going through.

Have to compare his measurements to mine now!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #11510
wiz.au
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Renthal bars on F650

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz.au View Post
Wish you'd posted this before for me! I didn't know about that thread....it's exactly what I'm going through.

Have to compare his measurements to mine now!
Well, while my measurements don't match with michnus, our specifications do! michnus said the "Enduro 693-01" bar was the closest to his handlebars, and I suspect he was right. It's just his measurements don't tell it that way.

michnus measure: 760 160 -- --- 100 ---
Renthal 693-01: 790 101 71 120 73 200
My measurements: 795 110 70 135 85 210

Just for interest sake, Renthal do an Enduro "High" which could be an option:
Renthal 613-01: 830 130 95 130 75 192
Old 09-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #11511
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
That's SO much work to save such a minimal amount of money I can't see why you'd do it.

The new heated grips cost me $58USD and came with a really nice 5 position switch.

Contrast that with the labor of cutting the old bars, cutting the new bars, weakening the new bars by cutting them/drilling holes, paying for the machine shop and all the extra time involved...

Plus now if a heated grip goes out I can get a replacement anywhere and it'll plug right in.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #11512
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Well, it depends on the perspective, and not a question of saving money

Firstly the BMW method of running the wiring through the bars is silly, on the LHS there is no good reason for it, on the right it is simply poor switch cluster design and it is resolved on the new G models

In terms of the mounts though, I and others wanted to maintain the bar ends and allow the stock hand guards and doing the inserts enables that. The other aspect is that the hand guard mounts on some of the aftermarket ones are known to slip around and that can affect levers when the guard is hit

BMW learnt that lesson with the 1200GS and had to do a recall, the 650 stock guards can be affected the same way

On mine the mounts are locked in place and they cant twist out of place

For me there was no great machining expense and very little time in running up the mounts and I still have the old BMW mounts to extract from the old bars if I want to, all that is very easy. There is no weakening of the bars with one hole in the centre between the clamps

As for the heated grip controller, I have continuously variable grips, no switches or high/low, just a knob on the LHS, no power loss on partial heat and somewhere over 95% efficiency

WayneC1 screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 09:09 AM
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #11513
Barnman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Dansin fitted the heated grip but ran the wire externaly as an alternative approach

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3930
Barnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #11514
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnman View Post
Dansin fitted the heated grip but ran the wire externaly as an alternative approach

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=3930
My 2013 650 Sertao has the wires external from the factory.

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #11515
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Soldering in a momentary on/off switch got the ABS working the right way.

I messed around with the throttle control, trimmed things slightly, moved the control inboard on the bars more and lubed them. Probably about 85% better now, but still doesn't snap back the way it did before...
Old 09-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #11516
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
18" and Tubliss!

Got some new bling for the Dakar this week. Going to try Tubliss system on the ol girl. Most of my bicycles are tubeless, actually, all of my off road ones are so i am very comfortable with using systems like this. Why not in a moto?
First, had a rear wheel rebuilt by Woody's Wheelworks in Denver from a stock to an 18" so I could run the system as well as have a bit more clearance on the rocks around here.
Nice wheel and system:

I'm running the T63 tires I have been running for a while. 130/80-18 size. Setting up the Tubliss system was a breeze actually. Found it easier than trying to stuff a heavy duty tube in and not pinch it with your irons. Just follow the directions to a T and life is good. I even dismounted it to see how difficult it was. Again, surprisingly easy! Easier than a tube. Also, the Excel rim I had built up was way easy to unseat compared to the stock BMW rim. Tip, use lots of Amoral or polish to mount the Tubliss system and tons of soapy water for the tire and seating.

Mounted:

Pic of the stock 17" with T63 and the 18" with T63 tire. will be about 1/2" more clearance on the bike. Sweet.

Presto chango over the brake rotor and sprocket carrier with some new cush rubbers and mounted on the bike.

As of this morning, no pressure was lost overnight Can't wait to get her on the road, er, off road and try it out!!!!

Oh, and I put the Tubliss in the front wheel as well.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #11517
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

What exhaust is that mattomoto?
Old 09-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #11518
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
What exhaust is that mattomoto?
SuperTrapp. Love it. Nice rumble and tuneable by adding or removing discs.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #11519
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
I messed around with the throttle control, trimmed things slightly, moved the control inboard on the bars more and lubed them. Probably about 85% better now, but still doesn't snap back the way it did before...
Maybe when you cut the end off the throttle tube there was some plastic bits that got between the two tubes casing some friction?
Only other thing, I used it have Acerbis hand guards on my bike and they had an insert in the bar that you then threaded the end bolt into like you do with the HDB guards and if you over tightened the bolt, it would swell the the bar just enough to make the throttle sticky.
I have had the HDB set up for many years now and it is different as it threads right into the bar (at least on mine) and have not had a problem.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #11520
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

The throttle/grip spins freely on the bar, so no grunge in there. I rode the bike today and it snaps back enough that you don't notice it, so I'm not going to mess with it any further.

Yep, I have a Supertrapp on my bike too, sounds great, but is a little loud.

Another question, I bought the Pro Taper KX HI bars because they were supposed to be the same height as stock, well, turns out they're around 3/4-1" lower than stock. Doh! Now the bars are too low, even with my Rox Risers.

What other 7/8" bars out there are the same height as our stock ones?