User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #11596
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 779
Thumb Pegs

was just randomly flipping through the pages of the parts unlimited book at my buddies shop last week and stumbled onto Moose racing pro pegs that listed a P/N for F650-1200GS! ordered a set up and installed them last night. way more better then stockers and only $89 bucks!

dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #11597
Wisconsinkris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
That is one serious pizza tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
My mate Inglsman came to me with a problem
He has one of these.

And wants to put it on the back of his Dakar and also have the ability to load a duffle bag/tent/sleeping bag. As you can see the supplied mounting plate is really shitty.

I came up with this

Machined from 8mm Aluminium plate and anodised gun metal grey
Stainless steel tube support arms
Aluminium riser tubes

Wisconsinkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #11598
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
More handlebar musings and info...

Ok, so held up my stock bars vs the Pro Taper Pastrana 1 1/8" MX bars as well as the Renthal Vintage/Desert bars. The height was very similar between the three. The aftermarket bars are both wider, with larger clamp areas.

The OEM bars rise more quickly, then flatten out in the hand grip area, whereas the aftermarket bars rise a little less quickly, but they continue to rise all the way to the end of the bars.

That means the thumb area of the grip is still slightly lower than the OEM bars, but at the end of the bars they're slightly higher than stock.

Since I already have 7/8" rox risers and top clamp, I went with the Renthal bars. They also have a similar sweep to the stock bars where the Pro Tapers have a much flatter sweep profile.

I hope to install them this weekend, but will have to battle to get the aftermarket left heated grip off...

So I'll have a few sets of Pro Taper SE 7/8" bars for sale, a new set of CR Mid's and a very lightly (1 ride!) used set of KX HI's. Let me know if you want either, or both.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #11599
Futura
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Just picked up my new to me 2007 Dakar
6,000 km on her

I don't think there's ABS on this bike. The ABS switch is not installed at least.

I've been running a 1982 Yamaha xt550 for the last five years but this year was tracing down a intermitent electrical problem that was keeping me in my garage more that than on the road so I pulled the pin. I've always liked the Dakar.

My first decision wll be tires. I've only run Pirelli MT21s on my XT550.
What do you guys recommend? less dirt is fine

Futura screwed with this post 09-28-2013 at 11:54 AM
Futura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #11600
africa twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
was just randomly flipping through the pages of the parts unlimited book at my buddies shop last week and stumbled onto Moose racing pro pegs that listed a P/N for F650-1200GS! ordered a set up and installed them last night. way more better then stockers and only $89 bucks!

Can you tell me what the part number was
africa twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #11601
Olivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
[QUOTE=dmaxmike;22425567]was just randomly flipping through the pages of the parts unlimited book at my buddies shop last week and stumbled onto Moose racing pro pegs that listed a P/N for F650-1200GS! ordered a set up and installed them last night. way more better then stockers and only $89 bucks!

I've got these too, (Ebay sells them too, bit over $100). They are great! More room for shifting ad a lot more stability when standing up.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:53 AM   #11602
ar1814
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Hello everyone,

I have a 2004 non-Dakar (2 spark) with stock handlebar and heated grips.
I'd like to change the stock handguards for something beefier like Barkbusters or Acerbis Multiplo to have a metal guard instead of just this plastic thing.

Do I need to buy specifically designed kits for the BMW F650GS or will any mounting kit for 22 mm handlebar work ?
I'm a bit worried about the heated grips...
ar1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #11603
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
If you look at Barkbusters web site you'll see kits for specific bikes. They fit the gs, but nothing's perfect. My bb's are a bit lower than I'd like and you need to take off the BMW end weights and use their shorter, lighter weights. Oh well.
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #11604
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1814 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a 2004 non-Dakar (2 spark) with stock handlebar and heated grips.
I'd like to change the stock handguards for something beefier like Barkbusters or Acerbis Multiplo to have a metal guard instead of just this plastic thing.

Do I need to buy specifically designed kits for the BMW F650GS or will any mounting kit for 22 mm handlebar work ?
I'm a bit worried about the heated grips...
Ive got Acerbis Rallypro guards on mine witht he universal mounting kit. They work just fine.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #11605
Acrophiliac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrophiliac View Post
Thanks Cal,
I probably have 6 weeks or so of occasional riding before I call it a season. I'll keep a close eye on the coolant and oil levels, and hopefully do the WP repair along with my end-of-season maint. routine.
Well, I was out for a ride this weekend, and my temp light came on after about 25-30 miles of easy riding at 70F air temp. The coolant was weeping at about 10-20 drops/min, with the coolant tank about half full. I pulled off and shut it off for awhile, and then restarted. I got another 10m before the temp. light came on again. I shut it off for 10 minutes or so, and then rode the last 6 miles to home without the light coming back on.

I still had plenty of coolant in the reservoir, so is it likely I have another problem than just the WP seal leaking? I wouldn't expect elevated temp if the coolant level is still sufficient.
Acrophiliac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #11606
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
can you tell me what the part number was
footpeg pro bmw [1620-0666]
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #11607
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrophiliac View Post
I still had plenty of coolant in the reservoir, so is it likely I have another problem than just the WP seal leaking? I wouldn't expect elevated temp if the coolant level is still sufficient.
I'd check for a stuck thermostat and/or the water pump not turning with motor (broken gears).

Water pump is relatively easy to check. Drain the coolant and remove the water pump cover, you don't even need to remove the hoses. Crank the motor over and see of the impeller still turns.

If nothing else, if you're weeping coolant from the WP seal, you'll need to change that out anyway. 10-20 drops/min is a pretty fast drip.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #11608
c-m
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by divimon2000 View Post
If you look at Barkbusters web site you'll see kits for specific bikes. They fit the gs, but nothing's perfect. My bb's are a bit lower than I'd like and you need to take off the BMW end weights and use their shorter, lighter weights. Oh well.
What screen is that?
c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #11609
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Deceleration whine

It's amazing what you notice when you buy a new bike!

My 2006 GS has 50.000km on the clock - I have had it since 2009 and with 32K on the clock. My first bike that I could call my own.

Ever since i had it, it's had a whining noise on deceleration which really sounds like the whining noise you get from a Polaris ATV when you start coasting down a hill without giving it any fuel. It is not like a bearing whine like you get in the diff of a car but really does sound like my Polaris ATV although not nearly as loud. I thought this was normal?

Enter my new 2013 Sertao and it doesn't make that noise at all... OK... what does this mean for my 2006 - is it the clutch slipping on deceleration is it bad bearings is it??? The cable is adjusted fine - no noise or slipping at all under any load - just this sound, any gear any speed when I decelerate.

Help!

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #11610
arit
con·scious

Oddometer: 10
arit from BC, Canada

Hello Dear Dakar Owners,

It is an honor to join you guys/gals.

I believe one should read a whole thread before posting into it.
Today, five weeks after starting and averaging an hour a day....
My first post.

I have learned a lot from the thread. For example:
- Some modifications seem great in principle and horrible in practice.
- There is an expert on anything in this thread: Carbon fiber, welding, electronics, Solidworks, Law, you name it. Alltogether the thread has a "Dakar IQ" of a genius.
- I am not alone in questioning the design decisions of many components in this bike.
- The Dakar seems to be more than the sum of all its parts.
- The perfect dual sport bike has not been invented yet. Unfortunately.

About me: Used to ride heavily until year 2001, when had my first daughter. Prior bikes: Jawa350 (POS),

Suzuki TS250X (street legal dirtbike), XR650L, XR600R (street legal), Yamaha Super Tenere 750.

I was lucky enough to get free off road learning courses courtesy of the Israeli defence forces. Drove all kind of vehicles back there, day and night, some of them with the "Missile Farkle". The best off road vehicles are the military ones as they are FREE!

In 2003 we moved to Canada, BC since then no bike until May this year.
Here in North America the options for dual purpose bikes are a bit limited. I opted for the Dakar after extensive research.

Since I bought it I modified a few things, to fit it my purposes: Daily short commute and weekend off road fun.

I'll add some pics as well.

Thanks for reading!

arit

There are supposed to be images above this line. If not visible, please let me know....

arit screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 07:04 PM Reason: typo
arit is offline   Reply With Quote