Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #1441
Uhuru
Wildest place I've been

Oddometer: 153
GREAT pic's, Platte Vis. Yours has still the best paint scheme of all Dakars, IMO. Kinky green boots, too!
Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #1442
cppilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
2001 F650 Dakar

Just thought that I would share a photo of my 2001 F650 Dakar and a friends F650 GS Twin. This is Mount Thielsen in the background. It's 20 or so miles from Crater Lake National Park in Oregon.

Enjoy:)

cppilot screwed with this post 01-18-2010 at 03:04 PM
cppilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 AM   #1443
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Update, sort of, again

Caf's GS is still running and parts are on route, including Inlet manifold, VR, Spark Plugs and new liners for our suits that some Indian darling thought would be more use to them than us!!!!!!!
Anyway thanks for all the help, and thought some pictures may go down well?
Mountains in Turkey
Iran Desert
Southern Karakoram Highway, Pakistan
Quetta, Pakistan
Northern Karakoram Highway, Pakistan, Chinese border 50 miles!

Cheers
Pete & Caf

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt

mcgiggle screwed with this post 01-19-2010 at 04:50 AM
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #1444
wetrock
McLovin

Oddometer: 128
Sweet shots mcgiggle!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 AM   #1445
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBLUETTCA

Should be a fun week if I can find some free time...
ah from here they dont look like they will fit, sure i will take them off you for half price just so you dont loose out

gimme gimme i want one
Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #1446
dang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Hey folks,
Isn't this what a lot of us try to make our Dakars into? It's kind of cool.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=125

I honestly didn't know about these. Need to get out more I guess.
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #1447
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by dang
Hey folks,
Isn't this what a lot of us try to make our Dakars into? It's kind of cool.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=125

Not exactly what I had in mind... I wouldnt want to ride the ole ATK 50 miles at 75mph on the interstate with my wie on the back to go exploring in the national forest. But thats just the way I use my Dakar.

On the other hand, the ATK is a wicked cool - torque monstor of a moto...I love em.

Rad
Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #1448
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
+1 My Dakar is for exploring, which means pavement as well as unknown forest roads, and trails...

ATK would be for other uses, like blasting around on logging roads... but would probably require a trailer to get there. How good is ATK parts availability ??

A guy really needs several bikes, as each one has special uses. I am fortunate that my wife has a closet full of shoes... so she understands why I need more than one motorcycle.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #1449
dang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
good comments. I like the forks and the weight though.
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #1450
sonoran rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Greetings, brand new to ADV and motorbikes in general. After reading through almost 100 pages of really good information on the Dakar I thought I'd join adv and ask for some opinions. Can anyone comment on the following deal?

2003 Dakar 10K miles
Has ABS but no hand warmers
Recently replaced battery and tires
Comes with PIAA auxillary lights
Touratech tank bag, and Touratech long distance foot pegs
$4500 (says he's firm on the price)

In addition I've read lots of different statements on the differences between the years on the 650 dakar. I'm looking at two 2006s as well but they're at least $1500 more, with more mileage (but additional options as well). Is there anything other than the paint job that might be different enough to warrant going with a newer one?

One last question. Is there anything in particular I should look for on the dakar when inspecting one for purchase? Any common issues or gotchas that might help me discover a problematic bike before purchasing it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
sonoran rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #1451
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran rider
Greetings, brand new to ADV and motorbikes in general. After reading through almost 100 pages of really good information on the Dakar I thought I'd join adv and ask for some opinions. Can anyone comment on the following deal?

2003 Dakar 10K miles
Has ABS but no hand warmers
Recently replaced battery and tires
Comes with PIAA auxillary lights
Touratech tank bag, and Touratech long distance foot pegs
$4500 (says he's firm on the price)

In addition I've read lots of different statements on the differences between the years on the 650 dakar. I'm looking at two 2006s as well but they're at least $1500 more, with more mileage (but additional options as well). Is there anything other than the paint job that might be different enough to warrant going with a newer one?

One last question. Is there anything in particular I should look for on the dakar when inspecting one for purchase? Any common issues or gotchas that might help me discover a problematic bike before purchasing it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
I have a '03 that I bought last April. It has ABS, 3x your mileage no extras like the tank bag, lights or TT items. I did get a spare set of wheels and tires. I paid a little bit more than this owner is asking. SoCal will probably get higher prices than some parts of the country because we can ride all year long.

As to things to look for - I'm not familiar enough with mine to know what to tell you but if you have read all these pages you know some of the common problems. Also check out http://faq.f650.com/main.html

Hope that helps.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #1452
sonoran rider
Adventurer

Thanks for the response pyrate! I have seen that site, but I haven't gone through it yet. I did notice that in 2004 a dual spark version was released. Can anyone comment on the differences there? (other than the obvious )
Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #1453
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,900
Sounds like a fair price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran rider
Thanks for the response pyrate! I have seen that site, but I haven't gone through it yet. I did notice that in 2004 a dual spark version was released. Can anyone comment on the differences there? (other than the obvious )
My 03 had over 72K troublefree miles on the clock with I was rear-ended almost 3 weeks ago and the bike was totaled.

The 03 may or may not have the older style fork tubes depending on when it was built. Mine had the older and the right one broke at the axle in the wreck, but I'm not sure any other fork wouldn't have broken. The fork issue has been discussed in great detail here and over at chaingang. Basically the castings are a bit beefier on the new style.

The pre-two-spark models have been reported to have surging issues, although mine never had any.

It was by far the best motorcycle I've ever owned.

The biggest other difference in the early and later Dakars is the tail rack design (I think the newer is marginally better). The paint scheme is different too (I like the checkered red, white and blue better, but could live with the newer graphics).

Good Luck!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #1454
Uhuru
Wildest place I've been

Oddometer: 153
In addition to making the motor two spark and the other changes already noted, the '05-'07 Dakar OEM windscreen is more angled back than the earlier version, and a definite regression in design, IMO. I wish my '05 had an '03 windscreen but they are not interchangeable.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #1455
sonoran rider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuru
In addition to making the motor two spark and the other changes already noted, the '05-'07 Dakar OEM windscreen is more angled back than the earlier version, and a definite regression in design, IMO. I wish my '05 had an '03 windscreen but they are not interchangeable.
Very good to know. However, do you feel the two spark design is superior otherwise? Ie would you rather have the windscreen or the two spark setup? I've heard that it can even equate to better fuel economy? Anyone have any actual numbers on that?