Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #1456
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
The twin spark was a refinement to try and stop the surging and stalling issues that can happen to the single spark at any time through it's life span. I'd go the younger model. How much more mileage?
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #1457
sonoran rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I think the 03 has already been sold but the mileage difference was around 6-7K.. so 10K on the 03s and around 17-18K on the 06s.. Price difference was 4700 vs 6200/6400.
sonoran rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #1458
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
That 06 has only just been run in than. Those motors go forever.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #1459
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran rider
I think the 03 has already been sold but the mileage difference was around 6-7K.. so 10K on the 03s and around 17-18K on the 06s.. Price difference was 4700 vs 6200/6400.
Then the '03 was better! Just kidding.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #1460
BMacW650

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Thats expensive foth a 18k 06. Better come with lots of farkles.
BMacW650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #1461
Got2Moto
Got2MotoGraphics

Oddometer: 505
Keyword Search overload

Has anyone found a cheaper source for the oil filters?
Dealers want $18 +shipping . Checked Whitney,Napa and all the filter.com sites. No luck. I thought at one time Flash had them at F-650.com but I don't see them now.

Any others out there?
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
Woop's. seems everytime I breakdown and ask a question, a few minutes later I find more info.
Seems my local Shucks Auto is supposed to have the K&N -151 filter for the F-650's at about $7.99
I'll check them out.

Got2Moto screwed with this post 01-21-2010 at 05:56 PM
Got2Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #1462
gnuse
Ride to Fly

Oddometer: 272
If you want a reasonablely good filter, maybe even OEM quality: http://www.beemerboneyard.com/11412343118m.html
Old 01-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #1463
sonoran rider
Adventurer

I think I prefer the dual spark tech, so I'll probably hold out for that. Here's the 06, just dropped to $6200.
Quote:
2006 BMW Dakar with just over 18k miles on it. Services done by BMW. 18k mile service done in June. Tourtech upgrades (guards and pegs), Siebring pipes, hard cases with waterproof bags, aftermarket tank bag and all the Dakar updrades (ABS, Handguards, heated grips, ect)
Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #1464
pyrate
Walking the plank

Quote:
I think I prefer the dual spark tech, so I'll probably hold out for that. Here's the 06, just dropped to $6200.
2006 BMW Dakar with just over 18k miles on it. Services done by BMW. 18k mile service done in June. Tourtech upgrades (guards and pegs), Siebring pipes, hard cases with waterproof bags, aftermarket tank bag and all the Dakar updrades (ABS, Handguards, heated grips, ect)

Attached Images

Old 01-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #1465
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,940
Beemerboneyard oil filters

I just changed my oil filter using one of theirs. Bought four. They came with the large crush ring for the drainage bolt, and the large rubber seal for the filter cover. They don't include a new crush ring for the oil tank drain bolt. I am very happy with the filter. Also ordered a couple air filters and a new iridium spark plug too.

Changing the oil was pretty interesting. Something about that first oil change that one does that kinda bonds you to the bike. As the Dakar is my first bike, it probably took a bit longer than usual. But I was in no hurry. Having to loosen the oil tank from the frame in order to get it to totally drain was interesting, as was jumping through the hoops to actually change the oil filter.

I need some help with the oil tank window. After installing the new 2.1 liters of oil, the tank really still looks pretty empty. It certainly doesn't come to the midpoint on the window when the bike is sitting on the center stand. So what's with the "magic eye" thingy? When the oil is at an acceptable level are you supposed to just see that dot of oil in the "eye"? I looked through the service manual and it didn't discuss this very well.

Next question; how do you get the spark plug wire totally free from the old sparkplug. All the manual says is to pull it off. When I did that, a brownish metal cylinder remained affixed to the plug. Hope your not laughing too hard at me, but wtf?

Next week I'll be pulling first the front then the back wheels. Need to replace the tires, change the rear brake pads out, and switch the 16 tooth countershaft sprocket for a 15 tooth version. After that it's the air filter, the new spark plug, and change the radiator fluid.

Final experiment will be to pull everything apart and check the valve clearances. Am I missing anything?

Being an old fart means I don't have to be in a rush for any of this.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #1466
sonoran rider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrate

that's the one..
Old 01-22-2010, 04:39 AM   #1467
voomvoom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
http://f650.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=225753

Hiflo filter, $3.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Moto
Has anyone found a cheaper source for the oil filters?
Dealers want $18 +shipping . Checked Whitney,Napa and all the filter.com sites. No luck. I thought at one time Flash had them at F-650.com but I don't see them now.

Any others out there?
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
Woop's. seems everytime I breakdown and ask a question, a few minutes later I find more info.
Seems my local Shucks Auto is supposed to have the K&N -151 filter for the F-650's at about $7.99
I'll check them out.
voomvoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:27 AM   #1468
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X
I just changed my oil filter using one of theirs. Bought four. They came with the large crush ring for the drainage bolt, and the large rubber seal for the filter cover. They don't include a new crush ring for the oil tank drain bolt. I am very happy with the filter. Also ordered a couple air filters and a new iridium spark plug too.

Changing the oil was pretty interesting. Something about that first oil change that one does that kinda bonds you to the bike. As the Dakar is my first bike, it probably took a bit longer than usual. But I was in no hurry. Having to loosen the oil tank from the frame in order to get it to totally drain was interesting, as was jumping through the hoops to actually change the oil filter.

I need some help with the oil tank window. After installing the new 2.1 liters of oil, the tank really still looks pretty empty. It certainly doesn't come to the midpoint on the window when the bike is sitting on the center stand. So what's with the "magic eye" thingy? When the oil is at an acceptable level are you supposed to just see that dot of oil in the "eye"? I looked through the service manual and it didn't discuss this very well.

Next question; how do you get the spark plug wire totally free from the old sparkplug. All the manual says is to pull it off. When I did that, a brownish metal cylinder remained affixed to the plug. Hope your not laughing too hard at me, but wtf?

Next week I'll be pulling first the front then the back wheels. Need to replace the tires, change the rear brake pads out, and switch the 16 tooth countershaft sprocket for a 15 tooth version. After that it's the air filter, the new spark plug, and change the radiator fluid.

Final experiment will be to pull everything apart and check the valve clearances. Am I missing anything?

Being an old fart means I don't have to be in a rush for any of this.
On the oil window: That thing does not give you correct readings most of the time. In order to check the oil level, you have to warm the bike up to operating temperature (wait for the fan to come on) and then shut it off and wait for one minute. Then and only then can you check that the oil level is in the middle of the sight glass.

Does that sound stupid? It sounds that way to me, too, but that is, I suppose, part of the price we pay for the dry sump system.

Remember to let your machine cool off overnight (or equivalent) before checking valve clearances. I usually strip the bike down to the top end at night and then check the valves the next morning.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #1469
Uhuru
Wildest place I've been

Oddometer: 153
Pros and cons of 19 inch front wheel on Dakar

I love my 2005 Dakar and don't want to sell it, but I find that I'm now enjoying longer trips, essentially all tarmac. So, I'm interested in understanding the pros and cons of using a 19" front rim and tire on this bike. 19" seems like it would be better for those long two lane highway trips than the 21". I would keep my 21" rim and tire.

I'm thinking there may be sidestand problems created with going to a 19 inch front tire and rim, but would this change require a shorter sidestand? Can I expect notably improved handling on twisties and highways with a 19" front wheel? What else is involved, what should I be thinking about on this?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #1470
pyrate
Walking the plank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuru
I love my 2005 Dakar and don't want to sell it, but I find that I'm now enjoying longer trips, essentially all tarmac. So, I'm interested in understanding the pros and cons of using a 19" front rim and tire on this bike. 19" seems like it would be better for those long two lane highway trips than the 21". I would keep my 21" rim and tire.

I'm thinking there may be sidestand problems created with going to a 19 inch front tire and rim, but would this change require a shorter sidestand? Can I expect notably improved handling on twisties and highways with a 19" front wheel? What else is involved, what should I be thinking about on this?
Is the wheel a 19" or are you going to a total height of 19" including the tire? I have a 21" wheel with TKC-80 tire and then a 19" wheel with a street tire. The total height of the wheel/tire combo for each setup is the same (the street tire is just taller than the dirt tire) therefore it doesn't change the overall height of the bike so no issue with the sidestand etc. If you are looking to have an overall height of 19" - I have no idea on that!

As to the differences in the ride quality, the big difference I notice is not being on knobby tires. Other than that - like a rocket ship!