Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #2371
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timkel View Post
I totally agree with you about 'asking' if you have little knowledge and input is obviously important on forums . . . .BUT Inmates read these forums to gather more knowledge about certain things but unfortunately can be lead astray by those that think they know what they are talking about!

digger1111 has now done some research on cush-drives and has written what he should've written in the first place so an informed decision can be made whether to fit a cush-drive or not.
what is written in that paragraph is exactly what i said in the first place. they are insurance for a week drive line. please.... do tell me how a cush drive is an "IMPROVEMENT" to the operating efficiency of a dirt bike. i look forward to your post so it will be here forever for future referene to some one seeking knowledge on this subject.
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.

digga1111 screwed with this post 11-18-2011 at 11:47 PM
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #2372
digga1111
bann ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB650 View Post
Yeah sorry Sean-0 the cush drives are a good thing if you fit one, hell they do reduce snatch stress on your drive train / gearbox. They dont get much crap in them (I have one on my Tenere) they are more enclosed as part of the hub, inside the hub as such
The cush sprockets are a different thing and are more open to the elements. I looked at them and may get one for my motard wheels but other than that I think (only my opinion) mud and sand will get in them heaps easier than a inclosed cush drive hub

Good luck I look forward to seeing how yours goes mate

TB

YTB
i can definately see the benefits on tarmac, but dirt
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #2373
digga1111
bann ed

Quote:
Pretty sure taking an educated guess the person that said "you are kidding yourself if you don't run one" could also sell you one as he deals in them? just a guess, I have helped / worked / purchased from that person and he would tell you anything for a buck! Couldnt lay straight in traction comes to mind Dont take my word for it but ask around.
Nick built he will also rebuild it soon, like I said 50k only ever had the tappet covers off for adjustments.

TB
you would be right. but it does raise a good point about whether to cush or not. on the dirt i very rarely use the clutch, on the asphalt i try and use it to ease the load on the drive line. thanks for your info
Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #2374
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111 View Post
you would be right. but it does raise a good point about whether to cush or not. on the dirt i very rarely use the clutch, on the asphalt i try and use it to ease the load on the drive line. thanks for your info
I use the clutch every change always have, hang on some times I may sneak a up shift (short shift) rarely but. If I rode it with the motard setup much I would have a cush sprocket at least. There is no slip on the bitumen lots of drive line stress. Cant credit how fast chains stretch with the motard setup but the same brand / model chain doesnt on the dirt says it all for me

TB

TB650 screwed with this post 11-18-2011 at 11:26 PM
TB650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #2375
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,270
I am of the same belief that they would do little on dirt ... but then again with dirt there are rocks .... so wheel spin then the quick grab action of a rock could prove value in it's give .....i mean its like wheel spin to blacktop .. never good on a drive train

i personally could never ride the bike hard enough to warrant such gripping force's but good for mindset

i use mine both on and off rd so a kush sprocket was a good thought in my situation ... if and when i head off rd for long periods of time the trusted stock sprocket will be placed back on

if i was to motard my bike .. something i want to do later ... the cush hub will be on the list

good to see some banter here also .....

cheers boys
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #2376
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111 View Post
Seen WRs without cush drive hubs at the Condo 750 fail boxes. I know from experince GHR runs cush drives on their CRFs at Condo and Finke, reckons the boxes wont last without them

TB
Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #2377
digga1111
bann ed

Quote:
Seen WRs without cush drive hubs at the Condo 750 fail boxes. I know from experince GHR runs cush drives on their CRFs at Condo and Finke, reckons the boxes wont last without them

TB
that is pretty much what i was told about the xr. hence the question.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:15 AM   #2378
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Damn right it's good to see some banter again.

Seano, for fucks sake I pity anyone following you when you get your freedom back & hit those tracks again. Skid time.

The desert is addictive Digga. Tough riding but ultra rewarding. Next year?
I had a 650R with 59000km on the clock in '02. Untouched engine etc bar oil changes as per the plan. I got it at 29000km. Never once missed a beat. It was on sweep duties full time and often lucky to do 100m without stopping for a whole day. It had to idle in the heat, stand up on soft sand, cross every creek etc. Often chucked on its side, in a hurry to pull a bike off some poor bugger. Never failed to start or give attitude. Then party time came around and it was asked to sing. Never minded that either. Must have punted that thing up and down Cape York about 12 times. No cush drive. My other 2 650R's have had about 30000km on them. No dramas.

I'll try and dig out some pics.

TB, sounds like you are like me with the clutch. I treat it as a manual cush drive. Smooth out the transitions between throttle, gears etc. No labouring. Gotta keep it in the sweet spot. Some fellas would actually fuck a brand new chain in days on these rides. It had me scratching my head in the early days. Couldn't work out why only certain bikes needed their chains adjusted every night. Sometimes it was huge adjustment. In the end I got someone else to sweep and I rode midpack for a while to see if I could work it out. Leave it in a high gear all day and that's what you get.

good luck.
GSXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:27 AM   #2379
TB650
Would be Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy69 View Post
TB, sounds like you are like me with the clutch. I treat it as a manual cush drive. Smooth out the transitions between throttle, gears etc. No labouring. Gotta keep it in the sweet spot. Some fellas would actually fuck a brand new chain in days on these rides. It had me scratching my head in the early days. Couldn't work out why only certain bikes needed their chains adjusted every night. Sometimes it was huge adjustment. In the end I got someone else to sweep and I rode midpack for a while to see if I could work it out. Leave it in a high gear all day and that's what you get.

good luck.
Funny thing Smithy is I swing of the clutch, I fan it when up it or lazy yes but use it every change. Mine has CR250 plates etc extra plate was built like that when new, has never been touched.
New chain gets one adjustment when it settled in and thats it for a long time run chain gang sprockets. Lug it (although mine doesnt lug as well as a normal one) it stretches the crap out of a chain and hooks into sprocket teeth. Rev it, spin it, steer it with the rear wheel and it destroys tyres but not the chain or sprockets. Tyres are cheap

TB
Old 11-19-2011, 02:35 AM   #2380
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Funny thing Smithy is I swing of the clutch, I fan it when up it or lazy yes but use it every change. Mine has CR250 plates etc extra plate was built like that when new, has never been touched.
New chain gets one adjustment when it settled in and thats it for a long time run chain gang sprockets. Lug it (although mine doesnt lug as well as a normal one) it stretches the crap out of a chain and hooks into sprocket teeth. Rev it, spin it, steer it with the rear wheel and it destroys tyres but not the chain or sprockets. Tyres are cheap

TB
The ultimate consumable is a tyre.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:38 AM   #2381
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Rito, pics:

Guess which one is mine.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #2382
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Forgot to mention the 650R was my Simpson ride of choice also.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 AM   #2383
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Forgot to say Gday Puppy Dogg

Gday Puppy Dogg. Have a good ride this weekend.

Next one?
Old 11-19-2011, 03:44 AM   #2384
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,270
I is itchn just a lil bit .... I bet my mods fail on my first ride and shit goes wrong

cant wait ......got till 16th jan off work so i hope to get a few hrs in the saddle in that time

I am a clutch user myself up and down dirt or tar .... fan a lil bit on the corners to step the bum out ... i have a nice RED chain and its been great .... tho i only have a few 1,000 ks down on it ..... was half price from 170 coz it was red .. so i took it ...thinking the red will wear out .... nu ah ... still nice a red ... cant remember the brand ......

picked up a new headlight today 59 bucks .... bulb and park light included .. OEM is 80 with no bulb ... i thought i would try the non genuine part

Im impressed .. good glass weight .. reflector is good .. sturdy light ... exact replacement as stock ... measures the same ...placed a sheet of Digga proof perspex over the lens and all should be dandy

A mind set i had was to enter the APC nxt yr ... but on thinking and planning a larger trip in 2013 i am now not entering the event

My option was to head out west nxt yr instead for a week or 14 days of frolicking in the sand ..... So if your thinking of heading out again nxt yr smithy i would like to tag along

Ok back to the scheduled programing
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #2385
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,540
Quote:

TB
Hi TB,

How many km's do you get out of your chain gang sprockets ?
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote