Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #31
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,631
If you call Cardo and ask for a technical rep, you should be able to talk to someone who knows about the G4. It's not vaporware and is in fact being sold in the UK and parts of Europe under a different name. Cardo is simply rebadging these devices as they don't actually produce anything.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #32
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Oddometer: 206
Fantastic write-up! I've owned the Q2s for awhile but just recently started trying to use the MP3 player functionality.

My volume has been extremely low thus far, even when the MP3 player (I've tried three) are all at maximum volume. I even bought an in-line powered amplifier for my headphones, but it's still too low.

Have you tried the stock speakers vs your earbuds with your MP3 player? If so, did you notice a difference in appreciable volume, or just sound quality? Also, what was your top speed while listening to your Q2 and still hearing the music?

I hit about 40MPH before being unable to discern what is playing. I do wear earplugs to block out wind noise when I am not listening to music. Do you?

Thanks again for the write-up!
DrFaulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #33
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,784
The multi-set Q2's for the misses and I came in and we got them fitted to our helmets and gave them a try today! I have to say I'm very impressed with the sound quality talking over them. Its basically just like talking on the phone. I never once had trouble understanding what she was saying and you don't realize how nice the full duplex is till you use it. Right now, I think I'm just going to stick with the speakers until our upcoming trip in 2 weeks is over.

We both used a bit of foam to get the speakers closer to our ears and I also had a few sets of these "ear piece" type covers that come stock on Netcom headsets we use at work. They are a nice soft type vinyl material and open in the middle as to not impede the sound. They are a tad big, but fit over the speakers pretty good and help give you that "tunnel" type connection you are looking for to keep the sound nice and clear to your ears. Also the vinyl material is much softer to your ear then the hard plastic. I still will much prefer using my ER-6i's on a trip, but these should work for now. I'm thinking I'll order a 2nd base off ebay and give this mod a try.

I also was able to pair it up with my cell phone and called my parents and talked to them on the phone. They said they couldn't tell I was even on a bike. We never did get on the interstate, but we were running speeds up to 60mph and I was on a Ninja 250 with hardly any wind protection. The wind hits me right in the chest.

Sarah doesn't have a chin spoiler on her helmet and when she was riding with her visor up, I could hear the wind noise pretty good, so she had to keep that down, but when she lowers it, it becomes very quiet in the background.

We also hooked up our Ipod's and I have to say I was pleasantly pleased with the sound. With the way we set up our speakers, I could hear the music just fine at about half volume with no ear plugs in. It also did sound like the Ipod input is pumped in in stereo? I know the BT part is mono, but one song in particular, I noticed a very strong indication that the left & right channels were pumping over different levels of tunes which would indicate stereo sound.

Getting a conversation started does take a pretty good sound which is good and bad. I was glad to see that it really takes a substantial effort to turn it on so that just hard breathing or light sounds coming from me doesn't keep activating it when I really don't want to start a conversation. I can also sing at a low level without Sarah being able to hear me! The bad part is it can take a word or two before you can hear it initiate with the other person. There is a bit of a 1-2 second delay getting a conversation started, so its not quite as quick as say the communication devices that talk over radio frequencies. But, once you are connected, talking is very natural unlike the other radio's I've used. Its also very easy to just push the MC button and start a conversation or also kill it so you can go back to your music without waiting for the 30 second timeout. We did notice (especially when we were stopped and its more quiet) that the device doesn't always recognize that Sarah is talking and cut off on her. I think we need to work on getting the mic a bit closer to her mouth, but I don't think it will be an ongoing issue. Just something she'll need to learn to work with.

Overall, we are very happy with our purchase! These are well worth the money we spent and compared to a lot of BT devices, they are priced a bit cheaper.

The true test will be on our upcoming trip and to see if we can make it through a solid day of riding talking and listening to our music.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #34
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Expanding the Q2 to use with FRS/GMRS and bluetooth dongle

Edit: Instead of taking over Dr Rock's thread about modding the Q2's, I started my own thread for my specific question about adding in BT FRS/GMRS support. - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9368128

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 03-23-2009 at 07:00 AM
Old 03-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #35
reissue
Gettin there....

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Captain
Thanks for the detailed write up.
I just got my pair of q2 and I did the mod on one so I could use my custom ear monitors and all I can say is awesome....

Thanks again.

Fire
Fire Captain- could you elaborate on your mod a bit? I'm very close to hacking (gently) the stock headphones and kicking it up a notch. I use shure e5's with custom molds but I'm concerned a bit about battery life changing as a result of the dual driver IEM's. Any thoughts? Any pics?
Old 04-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #36
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by reissue
Fire Captain- could you elaborate on your mod a bit? I'm very close to hacking (gently) the stock headphones and kicking it up a notch. I use shure e5's with custom molds but I'm concerned a bit about battery life changing as a result of the dual driver IEM's. Any thoughts? Any pics?
You mean this mod? [It's in this very thread you're reading ]

Seriously, if you read it from the beginning, you may get some insights into battery life, and sound quality issues as well.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #37
coolgreany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Does anyone have any suggestions to seal the MP3 ports? I probably won't use mine that much and am afraid of water getting in the open socket.

I could just get a spare phono jack and seal the opening with silicone.
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #38
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgreany
Does anyone have any suggestions to seal the MP3 ports? I probably won't use mine that much and am afraid of water getting in the open socket.

I could just get a spare phono jack and seal the opening with silicone.
A small piece of Gorilla Tape should do nicely. It's black also.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #39
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,398
This past Saturday I was at an MSF class and one of the riders there was showing me his Q2 and my first thought if I bought one was to do the same and get rid of those helmet speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #40
Snivly Dweeb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
A note from the Hamfisted

measure thrice and cut once

As guessed I fluffed it

Picked up a q2 last year more to use with the zumo and the phone and it worked pretty well .So this year changed bikes (another story) and picked up the new Q2 multiset for me and the wife .I also picked up a spare headset for my existing unit to get the mp3 input (from my zumo) so tonight was the night for the mod since SWMBO is away for the next few days, so no interuptions.

Ok in short, I cut too close (a great groan was heard) to the mike unit and found out that those varnished wires are a real bear.Next headset please..

I was curious about the wiring schematic since there were 3 wires in each wire going to the earpeice so I figured a bit of destructive investigation was necessary .

NOTE ,Warning, etc etc. Even the though the mike connector casing has 2 screws the mike boom is glued on to the casing.Removing the screws will not allow you to open the case without destroying part of the case.

The circuit board has 3 wires on each channel
Label Color
An R Green stripe
R Blue
R + Red stripe

An L Copper plain
An Green
L+ Red

At the speaker end (I only disassembled one side)

Green terminal Red strip
Plain terminal Blue

The green stripe wire I pulled out from the insulation and it is simply cut off about 2 inches short, the reinforcing thread was cause me some grief is about 2 inches longer
Which brings up the question what does An designation stand for?
Probably ANtenna would be my guess the same as what my walkman says
"to use the fm function a built in antenna is found with your headset"

As for the mp3 connector , I need a much bigger magnifying glass to follow the circuit traces but they do appear to go into a surface mounted resistor/ transistor/capacitor network coming from the main unit connector,but that is a bit too much detail for the purpose .When I did try the input before I beleive that I really did not force it in as far it should go. Looking at the plug and socket to get a proper connection that plug should be flush to the casing though don't force it,the inside of the connector does not seem to have much play either way.

Photos to follow when SWMBO comes back with her camera , I think it has a better micro function than mine.

As for me, off to the pharmacy tommorow to pick up a few precsion items, and maybe a quick trip to the industrial electronics shop to see if they have some reasonable varnish remover, but either way I think that I will cut about an inch from the speaker on the shortest line.
That way I still get another try or two should I prove to be equally inept.

Sniv in Montreal
Snivly Dweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #41
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
so... how do you deal with all the wires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
Quote:
interestingly enough, the only thing stopping me from buying one of the Q2 (or other brand) devices was/is the fact that all of them forced you to use their own helmet-mounted speakers. so, finding this thread with the mod for a headphone jack (the Etymotic headphones no less, the ones i now use, after trying many others)... is perfect.

couple quick questions:

a. the headphone wire coming from the ipod, do you have to have slack in that one for turning your head / taking the helmet on / off, or do you use a coiled-style wire?

b. for the headphones... they Etymotic's have a above average long set of wires, what do you do with all the slack, as well as process putting the helmet on / off without tangling things?

i'm sure i could figure something out... (currently i wrap my headphone wires around the iPod / iPhone 2-3 times to take up some of the slack, before putting the device into a inner pocket of my jacket) but i was curious to hear what you do? towards the same topic... what does LDF do? does she use the same headphones / methods?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #42
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
couple quick questions:

a. the headphone wire coming from the ipod, do you have to have slack in that one for turning your head / taking the helmet on / off, or do you use a coiled-style wire?
The wire from the iPod to the Scala is coiled, and supplied by Scala. It's long enough to keep the iPod in your pant pocket, which I sometimes do, but with the Blais Jacket, I keep it in the inside breast pocket, and activate the buttons with my left hand through the jacket fabric. As stress-relief for that wire, I run it up between the mic boom and the unit, over the scala pod, to it's plug on the back of the scala pod. The coiled wire runs under the leatt brace, plus it's coiled, so slack isn't a problem, even when removing the helmet. Sometimes I leave the coiled wire plugged into the iPod, and unplug it from the scala, sometimes the other way. No issues with turning your head, unless you're doing an exorcism. Then maybe.

Quote:
b. for the headphones... they Etymotic's have a above average long set of wires, what do you do with all the slack, as well as process putting the helmet on / off without tangling things?
Yes, the Ety's cord is long. I figure out how much length I need to put on / remove the helmet with the buds in my ears (basically arm's length), and then coiled the slack on the Scala side and kept it together with a small rubber band. Then I tucked the coiled cord into the gap between the helmet padding where it stays semi-permanently. The remaining slack after you put your helmet on is easily tucked into your shirt, or neck fleece, or wedge it up into your helmet under the padding. A helpful hint: Even though it seems like a girley thing to do, get in the habit of checking yourself in the rear-view mirror before shoving off. It'll look like you're checking your make-up or something, but you'll discover dangling wires before they catch on a branch or get blown over your shoulder, etc.

On our trips, we don't listen to the iPods unless we're riding, and we don't ride without our helmets, so it's not an inconvenience. If I had to set it up and de-rig it twice a day for a commute, I might have to figure something else out. Prolly just buy another set of buds.

Quote:
...what does LDF do? does she use the same headphones / methods?
Pretty much the same. Only difference is that she controls her iPod using the Monster iEZClick RF unit from her handlebars, which lets her bury her iPod such that she doesn't need to access it through the clothing. It's still on her though, not in a tank bag, so the coiled cable, headphone wires are still routed similarly.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #43
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
thanks for taking the time to answer the questions... your ride reports are great, all with great deatil and photos like this guide!

Quote:
Pretty much the same. Only difference is that she controls her iPod using the Monster iEZClick RF unit from her handlebars, which lets her bury her iPod such that she doesn't need to access it through the clothing. It's still on her though, not in a tank bag, so the coiled cable, headphone wires are still routed similarly.
coincidence... i just bought the iEZclick the day before i found this thread, i'm also planning on attaching it to the handlebars (any tips?)... i've got an iPhone, and controlling it though my jacket just insn't an option. i don't know yet if it'll completely work, but i'm hopeful.

can't wait for Mobius4!
Old 07-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #44
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,310
Not wanting to start another thread...

Just got a Q2 teamset for me and passenger/wife. rode today and everthing worked well and we liked them. We talk more when we're riding than we do at home...

Well anyway, the only problem was: They stayed on the whole time. We ride a XChallange dual sport with full Remus exhaust, so its kinda loud. I wear a Shoei Hornet DS and she has a Shoei open face with flip down shield. When its hot, she leaves the shield up. That's the problem area. Even if I turn it off at the button, after a few moments, her set will key up and stay up.

With our last com set, StarCom, there were 3 senseitivity level settings, anything with the Scala??

This did'nt really bother us too much, but I'm concerned about battery life on a long, all day ride.

What say yall experienced Scala dudes??
Old 07-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #45
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55
Not wanting to start another thread...

Just got a Q2 teamset for me and passenger/wife. rode today and everthing worked well and we liked them. We talk more when we're riding than we do at home...

Well anyway, the only problem was: They stayed on the whole time. We ride a XChallange dual sport with full Remus exhaust, so its kinda loud. I wear a Shoei Hornet DS and she has a Shoei open face with flip down shield. When its hot, she leaves the shield up. That's the problem area. Even if I turn it off at the button, after a few moments, her set will key up and stay up.

With our last com set, StarCom, there were 3 senseitivity level settings, anything with the Scala??

This did'nt really bother us too much, but I'm concerned about battery life on a long, all day ride.

What say yall experienced Scala dudes??
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a sensitivity setting for the VOX on the scala's, but you can turn off the VOX by holding down the up & down volume controls at the same time for a few seconds until you hear a dual not beep. This effectively keeps you from turning on a conversation with your voice or the wind. She would need to press the MC button to establish a manual conversation and of course would have to press it again to "close" the conversation.

My wife and I just got back from 2 weeks out west on our bikes and we of course had our Scala's. Before our trip, we had both taken out our chin spoilers off our helmets for the summer due to the GA heat and allowing more airflow through the helmets. Unfortunately, this turned out to be a mistake while riding out West. My wife loves to ride with her shield up and although I can hear a tad bit more wind noise, around home like this, it turned out that in really windy conditions out West, that with her shield up and no chin spoiler, and her windshield putting the air right at her face, she was pretty much unaudible, unless she put her shield down. This also was causing the scala's to want to turn on all the time. We tried turning the VOX off, but it seems that still didn't always work? I want to call Cardo and talk to them about this, because it did get a bit annoying. I was under the impression that turning the VOX off should leave it off until you power your unit off, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

We still enjoy them, but we had to work around this minor issue. I figure we might also try the other windsock (the oval one) that I think is meant for open face helmets. That might help quiet down my wife's back ground noise since she loves to ride with her face shield up.