User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #46
jkabouwchilexplorer
www.chilexplorer.com

Oddometer: 21
Thumb Excelent

Many thanks for the information, it give a cool solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
After reading all the bike-to-bike comm threads, I just pulled the trigger on the Scala Q2 multi-set, but still have a couple questions for those who have them already.

I'm considering biggziff's earbud mod; nicely done. Like him, I have my favorite ear buds that I listen to my iPod with (I won't be using cellphone or GPS-audio functions). The units we're getting have the MP3 stereo port, and I'm wondering how that will work before deciding whether to pursue the earbud mod or not:

1. If I plug the iPod into the MP3 port, will my wife's angelic voice silence the iPod audio when she speaks? -- if not, the rest of the questions are irrelevant 'cause I'd just keep the stock speakers and turn the Scala up loud to hear over the iPod earbuds, and manually pause the iPod if I couldn't hear her or if we were having an extended conversation. However, if the answer is "yes"...

2. Will running the iPod through the Scala Q2 affect the Q2 battery life as opposed to just using the Scala intermittently for bike-to-bike voice? -- is the MP3 port just a pass-through, or is the Q2 continuously consuming it's battery charge doing something with the iPod signal.

3. Is the iPod sound quality compromised when running hardwired through the Scala Q2's MP3 port? (I know the bluetooth connection is not stereo, that's not what I'm talking about -- also, I've tried wireless FM connections -- horrible)

4. Does the Scala Q2 monitor ambient noise and change the volume of the iPod signal? -- (I think that would drive me nuts).

A couple of other questions:

5. Has anyone rigged up a 12V charger? Can someone post the charger output info as printed on the charger? I'm considering using them on Mobius III, and we'll be camping a lot.

6. Anyone have experience using them while wearing a Leatt brace? Any interference?

Thanks
Travel with www.ChileXplorer.com
jkabouwchilexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #47
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia
coincidence... i just bought the iEZclick the day before i found this thread, i'm also planning on attaching it to the handlebars (any tips?)... i've got an iPhone, and controlling it though my jacket just insn't an option. i don't know yet if it'll completely work, but i'm hopeful.
update: it ended up not working right when i got it...
Quote:
this accessory is not made to work with the iPhone
... and after tinkering with it (and spending an hour on the 'net searching for answers) it turns out that you have to the iEZClick rf receiver into the phone first, dismiss the message, then plug in headphones. otherwise, you won't get any sound at all (which made me thing originally that it didn't work at all)

all the controls for the iEZClick work like a charm, and some better depending on how you look at it. for me, when i click the volume control down, it lowers the volume by 4-5 clicks, all at once, which can be a good thing, or an annoyance.

anyways. sorry for the thread hijack, and thanks for answering my questions.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #48
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
...when i click the volume control down, it lowers the volume by 4-5 clicks, all at once,...
FWIW, At it's extreme, it goes to full volume or silence with one click in each direction. Some have reported that bending the battery leads on the iEZclick to make better contact with the battery fixes that issue.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #49
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
FWIW, At it's extreme, it goes to full volume or silence with one click in each direction. Some have reported that bending the battery leads on the iEZclick to make better contact with the battery fixes that issue.
thanks for the info. you probably just saved me about an hour of research!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #50
midfat
wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer: 199
Just a heads up that I added what I believe to be a significant improvement to this system. But, before I tell you that, my greatest compliments to this thread. I did the mod and the instructions were spot on. I just scraped the wires with the edge of a razor to remove the coating. Aside from that, it was smooth.

My mod was to replace the in-line mini jack with a Radio Shack Open-Circuit Panel Mount mini-jack. (http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...odsPerPage=60). It allows me to plug in my ear buds and bypass the helmet speakers, but when my ear buds are unplugged, it defaults back to the helmet speakers automatically. It works perfectly, and the little panel mount jack is so tiny, it tucks between the helmet shell and padding.

Here's a quick photo. I think it turned out quite well. The audio with my earbuds is almost too loud on the lowest setting. The phone sound quality is INCREDIBLE!
Attached Images

midfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #51
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by midfat
Just a heads up that I added what I believe to be a significant improvement to this system. But, before I tell you that, my greatest compliments to this thread. I did the mod and the instructions were spot on. I just scraped the wires with the edge of a razor to remove the coating. Aside from that, it was smooth.

My mod was to replace the in-line mini jack with a Radio Shack Open-Circuit Panel Mount mini-jack. (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103452&retainProdsInSession=1&numProdsPerPage=60). It allows me to plug in my ear buds and bypass the helmet speakers, but when my ear buds are unplugged, it defaults back to the helmet speakers automatically. It works perfectly, and the little panel mount jack is so tiny, it tucks between the helmet shell and padding.

Here's a quick photo. I think it turned out quite well. The audio with my earbuds is almost too loud on the lowest setting. The phone sound quality is INCREDIBLE!
Well done. Now give us a little more detail and better pics!

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #52
Cam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
I posted this in another thread but the Motorola S705 SoundPilot stereo BT receiver which can be had for $30 including shipping on EBay plugs right into the Cardo MP3 port allowing it to receive true BT stereo from a hard mount on the bike. I run my Zumo into a $30 stereo BT transmitter then to the Motorola unit. When I need bike to bike that goes into my Cardo.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #53
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfat

My mod was to replace the in-line mini jack with a Radio Shack Open-Circuit Panel Mount mini-jack. (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103452&retainProdsInSession=1&numProdsPerPage=60). It allows me to plug in my ear buds and bypass the helmet speakers, but when my ear buds are unplugged, it defaults back to the helmet speakers automatically. It works perfectly, and the little panel mount jack is so tiny, it tucks between the helmet shell and padding.

ditto on the more info / better pictures.

from your description... the bypass if activated seems interesting, but i'm a little confused. it seems like: if you really want to put in earbuds go for it? (do you have the speakers installed in the helmet also?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:21 AM   #54
NJ_Bob
Occasional Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
I posted this in another thread but the Motorola S705 SoundPilot stereo BT receiver which can be had for $30 including shipping on EBay plugs right into the Cardo MP3 port allowing it to receive true BT stereo from a hard mount on the bike. I run my Zumo into a $30 stereo BT transmitter then to the Motorola unit. When I need bike to bike that goes into my Cardo.
OK for the Motorola S705 but what is the stereo BT transmitter you use? Do you need one S705 for each headset?

We just got back from Tennessee using the Cardos with the coiled wires connected to a Boosteroo (from Radio Shack) to amplify and split the XM radio output from the Zumo 550. This worked OK although the sound quality was not all that great. No bass at all from the Cardo speakers but for helmet to helmet comms they worked nicely.
Bob Naumann - W5OV - Sachse, TX - K1300GT - IBA #19100
NJ_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 AM   #55
midfat
wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
ditto on the more info / better pictures.

from your description... the bypass if activated seems interesting, but i'm a little confused. it seems like: if you really want to put in earbuds go for it? (do you have the speakers installed in the helmet also?
Okay, sorry for the poor pic. Yes, the speakers are still in my helmet, which is nice if I'm just running around town and don't want to go through all the hassle of getting my Big Ear headphones in.

I did not take photo's of the install, so I apologize for the relative lack if info. The Radio Shack Open-Circuit Panel Mount mini jack really is the key. If you follow the wiring diagram on the package, it's a can't miss. The jack is simply a switched jack -- when you insert the plug, it disconnects the speakers. When you remove the plug, the speakers are back on-line.

I prepared this exactly according to the instructions in this thread, right down to where to cut the wires. After soldering all the itsy-bitsy wires, I bent the leads down flat, put a big dollop of liquid electrical tape on the connections and put a big piece of shrink wrap around it for added protection. Here's some better photos:

midfat screwed with this post 07-22-2009 at 07:27 AM
midfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #56
Cam
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Bob
OK for the Motorola S705 but what is the stereo BT transmitter you use? Do you need one S705 for each headset?

We just got back from Tennessee using the Cardos with the coiled wires connected to a Boosteroo (from Radio Shack) to amplify and split the XM radio output from the Zumo 550. This worked OK although the sound quality was not all that great. No bass at all from the Cardo speakers but for helmet to helmet comms they worked nicely.
You will want one Motorola unit for each person with a Cardo that would like stereo music. As for a tranmitter you can use the WiRevo, HD Road Tech (same as the Camos unit) or the cheap MSI BT unit on Ebay ($30). I found all three worked and you will probably find any BT transmitter will work just fine. You simply plug the Motorola into the Cardo, put the BT transmitter into pairing mode, put the Motorola in find mode and it will connect. From that point forward it will connect to the transmitter every time you turn it on and I haven't seen mine get confused yet. Sound quality is very good but bass response is lack luster which is pretty common with BT devices I am finding.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #57
NJ_Bob
Occasional Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
You will want one Motorola unit for each person with a Cardo that would like stereo music. As for a tranmitter you can use the WiRevo, HD Road Tech (same as the Camos unit) or the cheap MSI BT unit on Ebay ($30). I found all three worked and you will probably find any BT transmitter will work just fine. You simply plug the Motorola into the Cardo, put the BT transmitter into pairing mode, put the Motorola in find mode and it will connect. From that point forward it will connect to the transmitter every time you turn it on and I haven't seen mine get confused yet. Sound quality is very good but bass response is lack luster which is pretty common with BT devices I am finding.
Tnx for the info.

Is the lack of bass due to the helmet speakers or just BT?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 AM   #58
Cam
Studly Adventurer

It is typical for most BT receivers I have tried. I do have at least one though that does have OK bass, but the vast majority I have tried are weak. My guess is that it is to conserve battery time. It takes more power to produce lower frequencies and I am sure by shaving off some of the frequencies below 80hz they are buying themselves more minutes of battery time. Plus most earbuds/headsets don't do well down there anyway and aside from music there really isn't much need in reproducing those frequencies so it I am sure they see it as minor issue with a larger upside. Pure speculation though. It hasn't been enough of an issue to make me want to go back to a cord and I am somewhat picky about my audio after spending a few years competing in auto audio competitions.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:51 AM   #59
NJ_Bob
Occasional Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
It is typical for most BT receivers I have tried. I do have at least one though that does have OK bass, but the vast majority I have tried are weak. My guess is that it is to conserve battery time. It takes more power to produce lower frequencies and I am sure by shaving off some of the frequencies below 80hz they are buying themselves more minutes of battery time. Plus most earbuds/headsets don't do well down there anyway and aside from music there really isn't much need in reproducing those frequencies so it I am sure they see it as minor issue with a larger upside. Pure speculation though. It hasn't been enough of an issue to make me want to go back to a cord and I am somewhat picky about my audio after spending a few years competing in auto audio competitions.
OK - thanks again!

BTW, the batteries on these Cardos seem to last a long time. We had them on all day without any indication that they were getting weak at all. This was even on the first day when my wife's mic was sorta dangling out the bottom of her helmet keeping the VOX open most of the time. Once I had her place the mic up inside the helmet better, the VOX would drop and the XM music returned. Again, with the Cardo speakers, the sound was OK, but no bass at all being driven from the Zumo 550 / XM and the Boosteroo.

Also BTW, the wife had the task of maintaining the connections to/from the boosteroo to our helmets for the XM sound. It gave her something to do while riding so it worked out OK. The coiled cords were not that much of a problem, although they need to be plugged very firmly into the headset units or they become intermittent.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #60
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
OK, I get it...

...you're listening to music from your bike-mounted GPS via XM. It wasn't clear to me what the advantage to the stereo BT set-up would be if you're just listening to an iPod... you still have to plug the coiled cord into something, may as well be the MP3 player. But you can't keep the GPS in your pocket. Got it. LDF uses a Monster iEZclick to control her ipod, while I just press the buttons through the fabric of my jacket pocket.

Do you both listen to music originating from the same GPS XM? What happens when you exceed contact range or line of sight? Connection re-made automatically? Our musical tastes differ just enough that we should probably stick to our own iPods. Plus, I'd miss the bass fo' sure.

Re: the open-circuit jack... For our purposes, I don't think we will ever use the speakers (Q2's used only on all-day trips for intercom and ipod music, not to field phone-calls while commuting, etc), and they get mounted on several different helmets, so the open-circuit jack doesn't really offer anything. Cool idea and implementation, though.

I soldered the male plug onto one of the speaker sets when I was practicing the mod, so if I really wanted speakers, I could still use them. I've never had the urge; the earbuds sound so much better.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote