Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 12:25 PM   #61
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
is there a downside on this Q2? Does anyone regret the purchase or have something better?
kitesurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:29 PM   #62
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,929
Still very happy with ours after quite a few long trips and used on almost a daily basis. In fact, I'm missing mine at the moment. I had to send my Hi-Viz Scorpion helmet in for warranty replacement and had to take my Q2 out of that helmet.

I haven't put it back in a different helmet yet and even for short trips around town with my wife, I've been missing it. We've gotten so spoiled on how nice it is just to talk to each other while we ride.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #63
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer
is there a downside on this Q2? Does anyone regret the purchase or have something better?
i think the only downside that some people have noticed (myself included) are sight lines. the bluetooth connection has a good, but limited range, which is a given, and even within that range (for example: around a tight corner) where the sight lines are not all the way clear (with a hill, or large trees in the way) the Q2 will either not connect at all, or connect and have such terrible connection / distortion that you have to turn it off for sanity.

danmechanical and i just took a 4 day road trip up in the redwoods, with many of the suggested mods done to the units (earbud adaptor / 12v dual-charger) and they performed beautifully. just having them there to help navigate was perfect, and made everything go easier. as a heads-up, we found that after charging the units, VOX is automatically activcated when the unit is powered on, and you have to remember to turn it off (if you don't use it).

for 4 days, we were able to use the units without issue for the entire day, both of us almost constantly listening to music, except for the last day, where mine just shut off (seemingly without warning) about an hour from home. i got an hour to enjoy rush hour traffic without music.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #64
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia
thanks for taking the time to answer the questions... your ride reports are great, all with great deatil and photos like this guide!

coincidence... i just bought the iEZclick the day before i found this thread, i'm also planning on attaching it to the handlebars (any tips?)... i've got an iPhone, and controlling it though my jacket just insn't an option. i don't know yet if it'll completely work, but i'm hopeful.

can't wait for Mobius4!
interesting note about the iEZclick... both a friend and i had the same setup with the iEZclick, and the units have only one signal. so, if you're near each other (within 20-30 feet or so), using the remote will control both iPods. quite funny when he turned up his music, which also cranked my already loud music, at which point i got closer, hit pause... just to watch him reach down to his remote to figure out what happened.

something to look out for, if you use these devices.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #65
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
danmechanical and i just took a 4 day road trip up in the redwoods, with many of the suggested mods done to the units (earbud adaptor / 12v dual-charger).......
Just curious, is this 12V dual charger something I missed or were you just mentioning the 12v cig chargers you can buy for them? For power, that's all I was aware of were the wall chargers they come with and the 12v cig chargers you can buy.

We did find the 12V Cig chargers were nice to use when we camped at night and didn't have electricity available. We left them on our bikes charging over night and enjoyed another full day of talking.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #66
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Just curious, is this 12V dual charger something I missed or were you just mentioning the 12v cig chargers you can buy for them?
I made a 12v dual charger by cannibalizing one of the single 120ac charger for its plug, and splicing it into the 12v charger wires. Couldn't be simpler.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #67
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
I made a 12v dual charger by cannibalizing one of the single 120ac charger for its plug, and splicing it into the 12v charger wires. Couldn't be simpler.
Ah, I got ya. So yeah only one plug needed to charge 2 units on the bike! Nice idea!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #68
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,996
Quote:
i think the only downside that some people have noticed (myself included) are sight lines. the bluetooth connection has a good, but limited range, which is a given, and even within that range (for example: around a tight corner) where the sight lines are not all the way clear (with a hill, or large trees in the way) the Q2 will either not connect at all, or connect and have such terrible connection / distortion that you have to turn it off for sanity.
The bike to bike is actually FM per one of the folks at Cardo. Intercom *may* be BT.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #69
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff
The bike to bike is actually FM per one of the folks at Cardo. Intercom *may* be BT.
I don't see how that can be? There is no way you are communicating over FM frequencies while talking between two units. For one, FM is not much different then transmitting over FRS frequencies and would be a one way only communication path and the only way to achieve the full duplex is over BT.

Both units operate Class 1 BT and is how they get the range they do. It also makes sense why it cuts out when you go around a turn or over a hill since even class 1 BT is limited on its range.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #70
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

I'm not sure of this, but I think the only thing the FM radio might do is use its own BT connection when you have it connected?

Either way, I would be totally shocked if the bike to bike communications had anything at all to do with FM frequencies.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #71
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
I'm not sure of this, but I think the only thing the FM radio might do is use its own BT connection when you have it connected?

Either way, I would be totally shocked if the bike to bike communications had anything at all to do with FM frequencies.
I had a lengthy discussion with someone at Cardo in March of 2008. He identified himself as an engineer, but who knows...I just took what he said for granted.

I didn't think BT could go beyond 100 meters, but here is a page claiming 1 Km

http://www.wifi-toys.com/wi-fi.php?a...prove%20Answer

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #72
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff
I had a lengthy discussion with someone at Cardo in March of 2008. He identified himself as an engineer, but who knows...I just took what he said for granted.

I didn't think BT could go beyond 100 meters, but here is a page claiming 1 Km

http://www.wifi-toys.com/wi-fi.php?a...prove%20Answer
one thought on this, something that i found odd... was that when using the bluetooth pairing to the phone, there was no distortion, no wind noise. i was able to answer a call (via VOX, with intercom VOX turned off, and that wacky ring-tone...) on the highway going 70+, and my wife didn't realize i was on the road. i then hit the Bike-2-Bike intercom to tell my riding buddy that i finally talked to her, and the wind-noise was pretty crazy.

it seems strange to me that the unit would do a great job of cutting out wind noise for a cellphone-bluetooth connection, but not for the intercom. not that i care, but it makes you wonder...
Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #73
NHRedleg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
That wind noise could be coming from your buddies mic. I get it from my wifes mic all the time as she likes to ride with her shield cracked open. But even the difference between having a windshield and not (wind hitting chest and coming up under a helmet) could be the difference.
'10 BMW F650GS (Wife's)
NHRedleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #74
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRedleg
That wind noise could be coming from your buddies mic. I get it from my wifes mic all the time as she likes to ride with her shield cracked open. But even the difference between having a windshield and not (wind hitting chest and coming up under a helmet) could be the difference.
+1, my wife loves to ride with her visor up and the way her short windshield is, the wind noise gets a bit over whelming. The difference is amazing though if she closes her shield. It gets amazingly quiet and easy to here her. I keep meaning to have her try that round mic sleeve as I think that one was meant for open face helmets. It might actually do a better job of drowning out the wind noise.

I use my Q2 both for talking on the phone and talking to my wife and I don't notice any difference between them. People are amazed though when I talk to them on the phone and I'm on the bike.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #75
911racer
dare to explore

Oddometer: 471
Thumb

Thanks everyone for all the great info. I just placed a order with http://hansenenterprises.net/ I was able to get a very good price on the Multi pack and even got a police discount .

Can't wait to try them out!
Run, run, run!
If you drink those sweet liqueurs you'll spill
The springwater of your real life.
Forget safety
Live where you fear to live.
Be notorious
Destroy your reputation.
You have tried prudent planning for long enough.
From now on, live mad.
-J. Rumi, born 1207, a sifi mystic poet.
911racer is offline   Reply With Quote