Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #91
code
advcurious

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow
Where have you all found the best price on the Q2 rider multiset? Amazon.com seams to have a good price, but is there an issue with warranty if you do not buy it direct from Cardo?

http://www.amazon.com/Cardo-Systems-.../dp/B001G1DFLS
If you buy from a local dealer, which most all are carrying them or can get them upon request, then you shouldn't have a problem with warranty. I bought mine via ebay, and it comes with the registry/warranty card since it was brand new. Have actually bought several of them, and none of them had issues where I had to call or anything. For the price..you can't beat it.

I did, however, contact them about bluetooth for the ipod connection, and they wrote back promptly saying that at the time it was not tested but will work with iphone. Don't know what I would do without it now that I've had one for over 3yrs., current one withstood a pretty bad accident and still works like new. No complaints.
code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #92
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow
Where have you all found the best price on the Q2 rider multiset? Amazon.com seams to have a good price, but is there an issue with warranty if you do not buy it direct from Cardo?

http://www.amazon.com/Cardo-Systems-.../dp/B001G1DFLS
My wife and I bought ours from an authorized seller on ebay and we did have to send hers back soon after getting it and had no trouble with Cardo. In fact, their customer service was top notch. We had 2 dealings with their CS and both times were more then pleased.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #93
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
Mod successfully completed. Thanks to Doc Rock for the effort and extreme detail in his write-up.

jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #94
mpowers
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Fantastic Instructions!

Thanks Dr. Rock!!

The job could not have been easier thanks to your well detailed instructions!
mpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #95
WallaceTech
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I have just purchased the Q2 a few days ago and while i like it so far , the helmet speakers are piss poor and MP3 is just shocking. I listen to allot of music with bass and it just sounds shocking.

Why o why scala do not do the fitting so you can use in ear headphones i dont know.

Anyway as i am so bad at soldering i have given my scala to a local electrical repair shop and they are going to put a 3.5mm jack port on so i can plug my headphones in.

Thanks again for the massive detail in this post.

Craig
WallaceTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #96
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Can you hear what your passenger or other rider is saying when they talk to you? Can you understand the person on the phone or the instructions on the GPS?

I believe the manufacturers produced and marketed these systems as bike communications first and foremost.....music was not the primary function.

I know there are audiophiles out there who love music and will, very effectively, do modifications to the existing setup to enhance the quality.

I applaud them for doing this....and passing the information to others who are also interested.

I get tired of some people who slam these manufacturers because the quality of the music isn't what they want out of these tiny speakers. I wear ear defenders while riding and have the helmet speakers positioned as close as possible to my ear and I have no problem hearing or understanding voice communication or information. I also listen to music and no the quality is not the same as listening through a pair of Bose headsets but that's not what I bought the Carda for.

my .02
Old 04-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #97
WallaceTech
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC
Can you hear what your passenger or other rider is saying when they talk to you? Can you understand the person on the phone or the instructions on the GPS?

I believe the manufacturers produced and marketed these systems as bike communications first and foremost.....music was not the primary function.

I know there are audiophiles out there who love music and will, very effectively, do modifications to the existing setup to enhance the quality.

I applaud them for doing this....and passing the information to others who are also interested.

I get tired of some people who slam these manufacturers because the quality of the music isn't what they want out of these tiny speakers. I wear ear defenders while riding and have the helmet speakers positioned as close as possible to my ear and I have no problem hearing or understanding voice communication or information. I also listen to music and no the quality is not the same as listening through a pair of Bose headsets but that's not what I bought the Carda for.

my .02

I am not slamming Cardio at all as i think the kit is great. What i dont like is the fact that you have no choice about the speakers. I came over to Scala from AutoCom and i have to say some bits of the AutoCom piss all over Scala but then bits of Scala are better than AutoCom.

With AutoCom you have a choice of helmet speakers or using headphones. I am glad someone came up with this mod and there seems to be enough people doing it for Cardio to at least take it on board.

Right now i would give the unit 90% happy, once i get to use my headphones it will be 100% happy. Each to their own and all that
Old 04-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #98
slashbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I wear earplugs all the time. Believe it or not, the sound quality gets better with earplugs, because they help to cut out the high frequency "tinny" sound the Q2 speakers have. If your speakers are placed properly in the helmet, you'll have no problems hearing your tunes...
slashbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #99
WallaceTech
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashbike
I wear earplugs all the time. Believe it or not, the sound quality gets better with earplugs, because they help to cut out the high frequency "tinny" sound the Q2 speakers have. If your speakers are placed properly in the helmet, you'll have no problems hearing your tunes...

The problem is that i have a lot of music with lots of bass and the speakers just cant cope at all. I had the same problem on the AutoCom however the AutoCom has bigger in helmet speakers like 10 or 15w so the sound is much better.

Its not a massive problem as its getting sorted but just wish they would give us some choice
Old 04-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #100
vtgs
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Oddometer: 216
Just Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfat
Okay, sorry for the poor pic. Yes, the speakers are still in my helmet, which is nice if I'm just running around town and don't want to go through all the hassle of getting my Big Ear headphones in.

I did not take photo's of the install, so I apologize for the relative lack if info. The Radio Shack Open-Circuit Panel Mount mini jack really is the key. If you follow the wiring diagram on the package, it's a can't miss. The jack is simply a switched jack -- when you insert the plug, it disconnects the speakers. When you remove the plug, the speakers are back on-line.

I prepared this exactly according to the instructions in this thread, right down to where to cut the wires. After soldering all the itsy-bitsy wires, I bent the leads down flat, put a big dollop of liquid electrical tape on the connections and put a big piece of shrink wrap around it for added protection. Here's some better photos:

I did the above mod. I hooked up my Ipod through the Scala Jack. It works fine. I plug and unplug and it switches fine. BUT, now I get not sound from the Scala at all. Normally you get the tone when you turn on and off. That is gone. Also the FM doesn't play through. Lastly no Blue Tooth connection can be heard.

I connected the wires like this, The Blue and Green solid wires were twisted together and connected to the sleeve. The orange striped wire was connected to the ring and the red wire was connected to the tip.

Does anyone know how to do a factory reset of the Scala?

Did I miss a wire hook up? Can't think why I'd hear my Ipod and nothing else.
vtgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #101
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
conversion to ear buds.

I did the conversion, and the volume was so low, that I thought i was getting nothing at all, but the IPOD worked. I tried my radoshack amplifier, but, it wasn't enough. Someone here suggested getting 8 ohm ear buds, but, I can't find any in the stores. Most seem 16 Ohms and above.
I soldiered the Q2 earspeakers back in and got my volume back, and in fact I shortened the RH speaker wire, and now have much louder volume on that one. I use both ear speakers on my left ear due to having lost hearing in my right. Are the original wires to small?
Having tried several hearing options, I prefer "in ear buds" (due to the hearing difficulty) and wish I could find some that will work with the Q2.
I actually really like my Q2 as it works real well between bikes, and surprisingly well with the telephone. It works best with a full helmet, as wind noise with an open helmet can keep turning on the transmission even when you aren't talking. The manual says you can turn off the vox, but, following the directions doesn't seem to work.Anyone have this problem?
At first I thought the range of the bike to bike intercom was not enough, duh!! Then I realized I could just call them on the phone if I lost comms! Thats also a way around the limits of available intercom channels (2 or 4), just call your buddies on the phone.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #102
WallaceTech
n00b

Well i have just got my Scala Q2 back from the electrical shop after doing the headphones mod.

All i will say is yesssssssssssss , this was the sound quality i was expecting to get. I have made phone calls , received phone calls, radio intercom and of course pumped my iphone for mp3 through it and the quality is amazing.

This mod has made a great product an amazing product. My MP3 sounds great and no distortion at all.

Thanks again to the guy who showed the how to do it. I am so looking forward to the summer with the Scala rider
Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #103
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,553
Is there any way to activate the intercom on the Q2 other than shouting - is there a button you can push?
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #104
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2
Is there any way to activate the intercom on the Q2 other than shouting - is there a button you can push?
yes, page 9 (English) of the manual
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #105
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeterson
yes, page 9 (English) of the manual
Just for clarification, the actual button is on the unit. The description of its specific location, and instructions regarding its use are in the manual.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote