Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2006, 04:30 PM   #31
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Ditto for everyone. I have a 96SSCR that I am still in love with. All it takes is sitting next to one at a stoplight. We all do the same thing while waiting for the light to turn. In the rear view mirror of your car you spot a bike pulling up to the red light. As it gets closer you roll the window down, turn down the music and listen to the approaching sweet music. They all sound good the gixers, cbr's, that gear whine with the muted raspy exhaust note at idle. Then one day a 900SS stops beside you. The timber of the exhaust puts a big grin on your face, and then you hear something else. You hear the rattle of the dry clutch underneath the rhythmic idle of the engine. The light turns green the bike leaves and you now need a 900SS. Get one if you can find one. Maintenence is a breeze, valve adjustments are not as frequent as people make them out to be. I check them at the proper intervals, but haven't had to re shim that often (my RFS has much closer adjustment intervals). Cam belts are simple to change too. There is a large aftermarket, and the bike has soul. I wouldn't trade it for one of the new supersports or liter bikes (although I would be happy to add one of these to my collection). I ride it in the Phoenix heat all summer with no overheating issues too. The SP's have better suspension than the CR's. I hope you find one. Rob.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:37 PM   #32
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Of course, sta IN tunes, not chrome..doh

I feel better about the body work.

ok i want it back now.....:)

...with the original body work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
The mufflers are stainless Staintunes, and, btw, I agree about the paint scheme. If memory serves, it's Racetech bodywork, but I'd rather that things stayed stock looking. Mechanically however, the bike was much improved. Hi-comps, dialed carbs, etc, etc.
http://www.burtonco.com Sacramento Appraiser
NorCalslowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #33
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,898
Very nice summary.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700
Ditto for everyone. I have a 96SSCR that I am still in love with. All it takes is sitting next to one at a stoplight. We all do the same thing while waiting for the light to turn. In the rear view mirror of your car you spot a bike pulling up to the red light. As it gets closer you roll the window down, turn down the music and listen to the approaching sweet music. They all sound good the gixers, cbr's, that gear whine with the muted raspy exhaust note at idle. Then one day a 900SS stops beside you. The timber of the exhaust puts a big grin on your face, and then you hear something else. You hear the rattle of the dry clutch underneath the rhythmic idle of the engine. The light turns green the bike leaves and you now need a 900SS. Get one if you can find one. Maintenence is a breeze, valve adjustments are not as frequent as people make them out to be. I check them at the proper intervals, but haven't had to re shim that often (my RFS has much closer adjustment intervals). Cam belts are simple to change too. There is a large aftermarket, and the bike has soul. I wouldn't trade it for one of the new supersports or liter bikes (although I would be happy to add one of these to my collection). I ride it in the Phoenix heat all summer with no overheating issues too. The SP's have better suspension than the CR's. I hope you find one. Rob.
I don't ride mine more than a couple times a month, but it never fails to bring a big smile to my face when I do.....

And the maintenance is no more than any of the BMW's I've owned...

Old 04-22-2006, 02:56 AM   #34
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Well after reading this love letter to your old bike, I was in a Ducati mood so I took it out today and rode it on some nice backroads. I had just jumped off the DR and some trail riding, but I switched modes and accepted it on it's terms and it was very satisfying. I do love this bike. The brakes are real nice with the new pads I just put on. Then later I took it downtown to tex tubb's taco palace for some fish tacos. This is a great taco bike, whatever that means. I rode it home from the shop tonight and left the DR there, along with my rainsuit. So expect rain on saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeek
Simpley put, the Ducati 900SSCR is one of the most BEAUTIFUL bikes ever concieved. The 2V motor is absolutely wonderful in the twisties of SW WI. Its so animated, and a joy to ride. The sound is completely orgasmic; I still tremble at mere thought of my SS with SS2R's at full song... I'm seriously having a hard time sitting still at the moment. My most intimate experience on two wheels occured with this bike. I feel bad for becoming so attached to a material object, however this bike envoked so many overwhelming emotions that I place it on some higher spiritual level. Not many bikes have done this for me.

I rode my 95' SSCR for one year, in which I railed almost 25k TWISTY miles. This included riding down to the Ozarks in the 95-100 degree temps from last June. I found the SS to be VERY comfortable on "long", (800miles/day) trips, as well as for railing 4-500 miles/day in the tighter stuff. The bike NEVER left me on the side of the road (other than my one ditch surfing experience...), and if I have the opportunity to by my old bike back I would trust it just the same. The 2V motors are absolutely BULLET PROOF! If you like the characteristics of you XR, you'll LOVE the 900. I found the sweet spot to be from ~5-9000 rpms. The bike will pull from low RPM's if you chose, and keep going up to redline where the limited flow of the 2V heads become apparent. Offhand I don't recall my gear, -1 up front and +2 in the rear, but it was good for ~140 on the top end. More than plenty for our roads. The transmission was great, good gear ratios, etc, and never had any issues. Personally, I love the dry clutch sound. We all know that loud clutches save lives. The upper fairing is beautifully sculpted, and provides plenty of wind protection at speed. My god do I miss merely looking at my old SS...

The bike was amazingly stable at speed for not having adjustable suspension (other than I believe rebound...). The stock 0.90 kg/mm fork springs were about perfect for my 165# frame. The rear was also adequate. I increased the rear preload to ~%80 of the full adjustment, and dropped the triples on the forks ~2.5-3 [cm]. I also sectioned (lowered) and rewelded the stock steel clipons, and put them in the lowest position possible. Stock the CR came with a 60 series front tire, however I noticed a HUGE stability improvement at full lean with a 70 series. In the really tight stuff I would start rolling off the edge of the 60 series (decreasing contact patch), thus pushing the front. I again moved the triples accordingly to counteract the geometry change. Ground clearance was not an issue until right before I sold the bike. I had my midpipe make contact a few times at serious lean, and my toes would consistantly be dragging when I had a knee down. The massive amounts of rear preload probably kept me from having more issues.

With the addition of stainless lines and HH pads, the stock Brembos worked great. On the street I never had any issues with fade or a general lack of feel.

The massive amounts of torque made the bike a lot of fun in the really tight stuff. I also found the bike to be a blast around town. Again, the torque was perfect for quick lane changes as well as the general hooligan antics such as sliding the rear around corners! Oh how I miss her!!!

snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #35
Desmofan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
I can't add much that others haven't said- I've owned two 900's, a 1997 SP (yelllow), and my Superlight now I've had for years (yellow too of course). The '97 was flawless, I sold it for a 916 that turned into a 996 (both yellow...WTF?), and I eventually cooled out a little and went back to the bike I droooled over in 1993: the Superlight (a 900SP in yellow, solo seat, mag/Akront rims that are irreplacable, carbon bits)!

The SL has needed a new headlight plug (very common, you need dielectric grease in it), a later clutch slave, and at 22,000 miles it's on it's second clutch (barnett alloy). It's got a built motor, flatslides, 10 pounds off spinning mass with it's Nichols flywheel and alloy clutch basket, and it has insane midrange pull. Really quite amazing for a 13 year old 2 valve twin. The Ohlins in back with raised ride height and revalved forks (PPS) makes it handle quite well, and cures the pipe dragging problem at a track day (not an issue on the street). The valves bedded in miles ago and now never seem to change lash. The valve guide seals could use replacing one of these days (requires pulling cams).

I don't ride that much now, but for $4000 or so you can't go wrong. The early white frames like Arch and I needed better cylnder studs, but would have been replaced by now. Go buy one, it's a good thing...
Desmofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:30 PM   #36
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,586
Ducati Sound

I had a '93 900 SS, it had the most beautiful exhaust note of any bike I have ever owned. I sold it to a co-worker in '97, bought it back in 2000, and stupidly sold it again the same year. I wish I had it back, I would never let it go again.
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #37
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Nothing sounds better than a 2 valve Ducati. I have 40,000 miles on my ST2 with out a single prob. I love these things!

Duke
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #38
Fidget
Informed Guesser

Oddometer: 2,131
Thanks guys, now I'm checking craigs list daily. Stop, Please.

-Fidget
Fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:16 PM   #39
BobFV1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 23,806
I have had a 1999 900ss for a little over a year - kept it as a spare track bike and for my son to use when visiting from college.

Fantastic machine. 1999 and later were fuel injected. Extremely beautiful lines, the trellis frame made the handling incredibly responsive, the 2 cyl/2valve motor is strong and torquey. This bike is not a superbike, and any modern 600cc middleweight inline 4 would smoke you in the straights, but the 900ss is the consumate cafe racer - just a beautiful machine aesthetically and a strong and reliable runner. I have the Remus CF Grand Prix slip-ons and the bike has the most beautiful exhaust note of any bike at the track.

It's a great bike. BTW - mine happens to be for sale - have to thin the herd now that I have a new GS.

BobFV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:22 PM   #40
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
This thread has convinced me I need a 2v Vtwin Ducati... they should just ditch current SS line in favor of the Paul Smart/Sport 1000 and call it a day... reverse evolution?

can't decide which one to get...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:35 PM   #41
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,439
Thanks for all the replies and info everyone. I so badly want a 900SS, or really just about any Ducati for that matter.

I remember getting a cycleworld magazine once along time ago and there was an article written by Hunter S. Thompson in it called "The Song of the sausage creature". I'm sure most of you are familiar with it but that was close to when I really started to want a Ducati. I remember the first paragraph from that story, its very true!

There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright red, hunchback, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them – but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous.

How True! If you haven't read that story, its great. Heres a link.
http://www.ducatigirl.com/wsmc/2003/sausage.html

I'd really like to have one of these babies:

Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:49 PM   #42
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,986
I too am a big 2V Ducati fan. I've had a 95 900 Monster since 2002. It sees street and track duty. Lots of little mods to improve it for both - engine and suspension stuff. On the track, it's true the I4 bikes will pull you on the straights, but they inevitably will hear you close back up behind them in the next series of corners. They ( no one) can miss that Ducati sound on the track. I've had riders come up to me and compliment the bike's sound after a session.

Just in the last month, I've picked up a 92 900 SS to make a track bike. It's a basket case, but the more I put right on it, the better I like the way it is turning out. Reading Arch's comments on build numbers (mine was built in 91 also), I'm beginning to appreciate how special it is to still be a viable track project 15 years later.

If street riding is your primary goal, I would recommend looking more toward the Monster series. I like mine well enough I plan to do a Saddlesore 1000 on it sometime this year so it doesn't feel slighted by the F 650 that I did that on last year And with the tweaks I've done to the Monster already, I'm using it while riding as an instructor with a major track day provider until I get the SS project bike completed.

Either of the 2V Ducatis will put a big smile on your face. They are the essence of what motorcycling is about - two wheels, a motor, a gas tank, and fun.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:36 AM   #43
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
they should just ditch current SS line in favor of the Paul Smart/Sport 1000 and call it a day...
I agree. That french guy really uglied up the supersports when he did the redesign in 98 or 99. Not as tragic as the 999's styling though.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #44
SD990
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
I have had several, I love the 2-valvers as well...here is a look at my current 2-valver.
Attached Images

SD990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #45
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
I agree. That french guy really uglied up the supersports when he did the redesign in 98 or 99. Not as tragic as the 999's styling though.

Pierre Terblanche is from South Africa.

But, yes, he did muck up the Supersport's styling.

Problem was, as beautiful and purposeful as the 93-98 SS was, it wasn't selling by 97-98... Ducati had to do something to spice them up.

Unfortunately, Terblanche's 1999 restyle didn't help the Supersports too much. They've been languishing ever since...

Some of my biggest motorcycle-induced smiles have come from rides on mid-90s Ducati Supersports!!! I would still love to have a 900FE one of these days.

Great fun they are. The term "cafe racer" fits them perfectly!!!
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote