Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2006, 05:00 PM   #61
e.t.
Certified User

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
I want something with some character that I can take out for the weekend and tour around
Three hundred miles of riding where you live and you will be flat wore out. If you do not ride in any twisties, do not waste your time. This bike can only be appreciated there. But as far as the rest of it goes, go ahead and experience Ducati ownership. Better to buy a 900 then to spend the big bills on something newer. You will figure it out after a year or about 5000 miles
if this is you. Nuff said
Old 04-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #62
Backmarker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD
My 888 is much nicer than SD990s bike. I know 'cause I have ridden his bike.

I want a 950 Adv. so buy my bike instead. Remember, the RED ones are faster!
Ok where do i send the money?
Backmarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #63
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
Yes but I live in hot Denver and those under the seat pipes roast me...

I was all set to throw money down on a 999 but jeebus, the SportClassic just seems to be a more fun street bike... I just don't do enough track days to justify the watercooler Ducs... as much as I was emtionally there, mentally/physically can't do it... after test riding a 999 I realized I wasn't ready for F1 racing, as my skills were not anywhere close to being ready...
Ah... good point. Think I've noted before... the toaster under the seat is a feature year round at my altitude. Are you sure the Sport Classics would be a fun around town bike? The Paul Smart ergos are quite committed, slightly less so with the GT. I'd take these things to the hills.. where temps are cooler anyway .
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:01 PM   #64
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson
Ah... good point. Think I've noted before... the toaster under the seat is a feature year round at my altitude. Are you sure the Sport Classics would be a fun around town bike? The Paul Smart ergos are quite committed, slightly less so with the GT. I'd take these things to the hills.. where temps are cooler anyway .
I'm willing to give up R12RT-type comfort for a true cafe racer... plus my commute is mostly 50+ mph highway... I want a tool to rip the canyons up, first and foremost... the air cooled 2v motors seem to be more than enough bike for me... the superbikes are just way outta my league, for street ridin'...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:24 PM   #65
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
How True! If you haven't read that story, its great. Heres a link.
http://www.ducatigirl.com/wsmc/2003/sausage.html

That's the first time I've read that since getting my 900SS. HST must have been a really horrible rider.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:58 PM   #66
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
That's the first time I've read that since getting my 900SS. HST must have been a really horrible rider.
He was probably tripping when he rode it so you gotta figure that into it. He does sound like a squid, but he make some funny, interesting comments.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #67
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
He was probably tripping when he rode it so you gotta figure that into it. He does sound like a squid, but he make some funny, interesting comments.
I know, and I like reading his stuff, and I liked that article when I was younger and more impressionable. But man, he makes it sound like he was on a 200 hp GP bike. I get the impression he rode that BSA, the Vincent and the Kaw triple and maybe that was it. It's funny, and if he were still around I'd hang out with him, but there's no way I'd ride with him.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #68
G.R.I.T
neanderthal

Oddometer: 26
This thread is making me really sad that I don't have the cash to finish my rebuild on my 95 CR. On the other hand, it reinforces why I am doing the rebuild and why I bought the bike back in 95. When all is said and done, my CR always made my blood boil and caused me to take the path less taken.

My rebuild is coming together painfully slow, but thank to all the other people who are passionate about these bikes, I keep the faith.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #69
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,932
Spaghetti Exhaust System...

Fir those wishing they had caught past deals on spaghetti systems, there is an outfit doing custom Ducati exhausts of all types including custom spaghetti setups for SSs. No FHE with them, but IIRC for their website, they may have some affiliation with BCM.

www.arcfabrication.com

I was looking through their stuff for possibly going to an underseat system way down the road.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:37 AM   #70
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,991
Someone reminded me of this article.

It isn't "Revenge of the Sausage Creature", but I think the first paragraph captures the essence of the 900SS very well.

http://www.cowin-tech.com/Ducati/Article4.htm
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #71
Blackmaxx
Adventure Guy

Oddometer: 43
Thumb Proud owner of a monster s4r

Little more money for maintenance but, I think it is worth it. I have had 2 years of trouble free great riding and would not hesitate to buy another DUC. Just do it.
04 BMW R 1150 GS Adventure - Gone
Blackmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #72
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
I will SO own one of those pre-99 900SS Ducs some day. In fact, it might be my very next bike.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #73
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,553
Quote:
OK, I know some of ya hate Ducatis so please keep your comments to a minimum. I've personally loved Ducatis for a long time, but never owned one. I've been noticing a few 94+ 900SS's around for decent prices and was wondering about the bike. I know they take more love to own but I want something with some character that I can take out for the weekend and tour around, and ride with the local bikers occasionally.
Are they decent bikes? Junk? too high maintenance?

The only reviews I've read of them were form the early 90's and they sounded like a good bike at the time.

If you ever get within 100 miles of here, stop by. I owe you a dinner and drinks for this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser in post #3
I miss mine dearly. I will have another. Perfect bike to have in the garage for the sport bike fix.
Well, I got it close....

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #74
mrdennison
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
1992 Ducati 900 ss

A family member died and i recently inherited his 1992 ducati 900 ss.

Please bare with me as im VERY new to motorcyclying.

A little background on me: 27 years old 6' 200lbs, rode a honda cr50 dirtbike when 10-12 years old and occasionally rode my brothers cr125. Rode a suzuki 125 streetbike when 14-15. Since then ive rode nothing except the occasional spin on a friends honda 1300vtx cruiser.

A little background on the bike: the person who passed was the original owner and did all the maintenance. the bike has 21k miles on it.

More on the bike and my reasons for posting: I found this forum from a google search that located the other 900 ss thread. The bike has only had 2k miles put on it from 1999-2003 and has only been ridden a handfull of times from 2003 until now. White frame/black rims...It appears to have a replacement carbon fiber exhaust and carbon fiber rear fender. All the plastic is original with decals and the bike is in super shape aside from a thin layer of dust.

I went out to start it and it did turn over but did not start(it has gas). I dont even know how to turn on the gas on this thing.

What should be my first step to getting everything healthy on this bike?
I found the local dealer who the previous owner bought parts from. They charge $75 an hour and said it would be about $350 for labor and $100 for parts(oil/spark plugs/belts)

Also, if anyone owns one or is a fanatic, i'd appreciate it if you contacted me to be a resource for this bike. It has a lot of sentimental value to me and i hope to be able to do future maintanance myself.

I truly thank everyone and anyone who has feedback on this matter.

thanks again
-Mark(Oklahoma)
mrdennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #75
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdennison
A family member died and i recently inherited his 1992 ducati 900 ss.

Also, if anyone owns one or is a fanatic, i'd appreciate it if you contacted me to be a resource for this bike. It has a lot of sentimental value to me and i hope to be able to do future maintanance myself.

I truly thank everyone and anyone who has feedback on this matter.

thanks again
-Mark(Oklahoma)

Hi Mark, welcome to the asylum. As you probably can tell, this isn't really a forum for our beloved ducs, but there's quite a few of us here who are into them.

First of all, if your not familiar with riding sportbikes, be very careful doing slow speed/parking lot type stuff! You have a very limited amount of steering lock on these things and it's super easy to drop it.

Here's some links for more info:

Ducatitech

ducati.com

Ducationline <- good online mail type forum

ducati.ms <- online forum like advrider

I am just getting back into duc ownership after a three year break from my 900, and a one year break from all desmo in the garage. I do believe there is a new manual out for the 2v ducs. I'll be looking to pick it up soon.
Feel free to ask any questions on the site, or PM me. I'll help with whatever I can.

Oh yeah, post pics!

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote