Oddometer: 1,786
I really, really want one of those...someday. *sigh*
Old 07-12-2006, 03:26 AM   #92
mrdennison
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz
Holy smokes! Get some new tires (those look like Bridgestone BT57s!!) and brake fluid in that bad boy as well.

Nice looking bike! There's a rabid following out there for these bikes if you decide to sell it. I think Arch still has "900SS" tattooed on his body somewhere.
What are some decent tires to replace the Bridgestones?
mrdennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #93
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdennison
What are some decent tires to replace the Bridgestones?

IMHO Michelin pilot sports. If I can remember the link, someone was running a sale on the pair sized for the 900. One of the duc oriented sales sites I think.....

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #94
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
I've always wanted a SS, but it just never seem all that practical to me.. yet it is soooo sexy:

Oh my god thats awesome!!!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:01 AM   #95
edwyun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
there is an outfit doing custom Ducati exhausts of all types including custom spaghetti setups for SSs. No FHE with them, but IIRC for their website, they may have some affiliation with BCM.
They work/sound great!

http://www.geocities.com/edwyun/pastasound2.mp3

http://www.geocities.com/edwyun/pastasound1.mp3

http://www.geocities.com/edwyun/pastasound3.mp3

'98 Ducati 900 SS/FE
IBA#18798
www.geocities.com/edwyun/index.html
edwyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:57 PM   #96
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Count in another sucker for that Ducati 900SS madness!

About 7 hours ago I bought a 94 900SS with the neat little SP badge 026 on the upper clamp. It's got a few issues, the stock fairing is gone, replaced by a 70's style supersport fairing , it's missing countershaft sprocket and timing belt covers, and the battery is on it's last legs. Highly doubtful I'll replace the battery this late in the season. There are a set of custom pipes that are stupid loud, the carbs are acting a bit off (flooding) and it could use a new set of plugs.

OTOH, it's a Ducati 900SS, how can a guy go wrong?

And there's a mystery, at least to me, it is wearing a set of wire spoke wheels and alloy rims. Man do they make the bike look pretty.... but I can't seem to find out where such a set of wheels came from. mayhaps one of the experts can shed some light on the wheels.

My initial inclination was to get the proper SS bodywork and put the bike back closer to stock form, but after another look I'm kind of wondering. Whoever put the holy baloney fairing on used a big round headlight, in a normal headlight housing. After looking at the GT1000 again I'm tempted to do something similar, tubular handlebars, naked front end, maybe a 2 up seat,especially with the spokers it's wearing. I know that many will cry butchery but I can see that butchery has already been done, I'm trying to decide if the healing process will take recontructive surgery or a radical makeover.

Pictures tomorrow, once the sun makes it's rounds again, so you can see the horror that is the present fairing.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:27 AM   #97
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL5A
I know that many will cry butchery but I can see that butchery has already been done, I'm trying to decide if the healing process will take recontructive surgery or a radical makeover.

Do it! I'm on the look out for a bastard 900 to tinker with myself. No worries about it not being original, or built the way everyone thinks it should be. I've got one of those already, and I'd bet ya yours would get more attention parked side by side with mine because it's not the norm. Dare to be different! Post the pics

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #98
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

This is where I'm starting from...

I took it out for a good run this afternoon, my initial reaction was to ditch the old style SS fairing but before I do that, I think I'll paint it black to match the bike.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:54 PM   #99
a_road_less_traveled
Digital Traveler

Oddometer: 9
Hmmmm. you may be on to something here. Paint te fairing black, clean it up, and then decide.
a_road_less_traveled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:30 PM   #100
snowrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
That thing is neat. If that fairing is aluminum, I would leave it as is.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:27 AM   #101
800SSDuc
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 356
The 900 SS is the bike that really caught my eye and got me interested in the ducs back in 94 or so..... took me till this year to finnally get a duc. I actually went in looking for the new M695 but walked in and the 800SS was just sitting there begging me to take her home...
89 KLR650
87 750 Paso Ltd
65 H-D M50
64 125 Bronco
A few Chinese 150 Dirt Bikes
800SSDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:24 AM   #102
broskinny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I had a 95 900SP that I rode 28,000 miles in 2 years. Headlight wiring melted down, frame cracked, and the swingarm cracked.
I would buy another one in a second - miss that bike!

I then bought a 98 916, didn't have really any issues with it and loved the look. Probably wouldn't buy another 916.

If you find a nice 900, buy it!
broskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #103
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,890
Quote:

I took it out for a good run this afternoon, my initial reaction was to ditch the old style SS fairing but before I do that, I think I'll paint it black to match the bike.
Man!!! Those spoked wheels are worth the price of admission alone. +1 if the fairing is aluminum as it looks in the photo, you have quite a bike already. That fairign looks like either an Imola replica or one of the Paul Smart replicas from back in the day. Snoop around and you will find lots of resources to help with any wiring issues or other little things that would benefit from cleaning up. Can't see thru the fairing but if it still has stock carbs, don't throw good money away, upgrade to 41mm Kehin FCRs from Ca-cycleworks.com Chris has the complete kit with easy installation instructions.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:18 PM   #104
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305
Man!!! Those spoked wheels are worth the price of admission alone. +1 if the fairing is aluminum as it looks in the photo, you have quite a bike already. That fairing looks like either an Imola replica or one of the Paul Smart replicas from back in the day.
I gave it the magnet test, it appears to be aluminum, the windshield is from Gustafson. The whole setup weighs hardly nothing. It needs some holes filled in, some cracks repaired and to be smoothed up a bit, I don't know if it's a candidate for polishing. It will likely get painted black to match the bike.

Nobody seems to have any idea where the wheels came from, or the front fender. Interesting things have been done to the bike, good thing for me that the DPO's lost interest. The guy I bought it from bought it from a buddy of his in June, but decided he'd rather ride a croozer.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:26 PM   #105
speckypete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:

A Ducati dealer in UK, Chris Clarke Motocycles, used to make a kit to convert 900ss bikes to a classic look like this. They are long gone now though.

Why not start a thread over at www.ducati.ms, in the Supersport forum? Someone will know about the wheels and fairing.

Great looking bike you have sir