Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #1757
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I've got this one. Worth every penny

M
I'm not commenting on that specific stand, as I don't know, but I've looked at a few portable type work stands in shops. And one thing I have found a few times that I do not like it the lack of height. I've seen some that barely lift the wheels off the ground. I don't like having to sit on a stool or squat down to work on a bike. But I admit I'm spoiled from using pro level Park stands at work. The consumer grade Park stand I had years ago was nice and tall also. But for some reason I've seen some portable stands in stores that are very low. I'm going to end up with a nicer stand eventually. I bought the one pictured above in a hurry, and it was cheap.

I'm spoiled from using there at work every day: The clamps are about 5.5' high!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #1758
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
And one thing I have found a few times that I do not like it the lack of height. I've seen some that barely lift the wheels off the ground.
It won't be as sturdy as a concrete or bolted in shop stand but it works very well for a portable at almost 6'

Old 07-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #1759
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,207
Ive got the same stand as the above and it rocks! Gets the frame up at a very nice height and I am 6'3"
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #1760
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
I'm not commenting on that specific stand, as I don't know, but I've looked at a few portable type work stands in shops. And one thing I have found a few times that I do not like it the lack of height. I've seen some that barely lift the wheels off the ground. I don't like having to sit on a stool or squat down to work on a bike. But I admit I'm spoiled from using pro level Park stands at work. The consumer grade Park stand I had years ago was nice and tall also. But for some reason I've seen some portable stands in stores that are very low. I'm going to end up with a nicer stand eventually. I bought the one pictured above in a hurry, and it was cheap.

I'm spoiled from using there at work every day: The clamps are about 5.5' high!

The BB is above belly button height on mine and could go higher. As a once-and-future shop wrench, I know about getting the bike up to the right spot.

...best of all, I can bring it to the cross races and prep/clean bikes right then and there. Hard to do that with the stand in the pic. Just sayin.

I just got in from appx 3.5hrs of rollers with Mt Weather and then Naked Mtn in the middle. Ugh am I beat. I hear the sleep chikken trying to sneak up on me. May just let it catch me.

M
Old 07-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #1761
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,992
I'm going to have to look into a decent stand, that folding one I have now just keeps pissing me off. Almost dropped the bike off of it twice today! An it's too low! But hey, it was $25 and I needed one pronto!

Gotta fix the brake squeal on that GT 9er now....they howl like a cat in heat!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #1762
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
[QUOTE=HOT DAMN!;19061587]It won't be as sturdy as a concrete or bolted in shop stand but it works very well for a portable at almost 6'

the stand is nice but what I really want is the 908 sitting there
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #1763
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
Building up my first 29er

Nice starting point!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #1764
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,801
Just picked up my first MTB since I was in college, 7 years ago! It is a 2012 Trek Marlin 29er that was marked off pretty good since the 13s are out now. Only difference I can tell from the website is paint colors and schemes, so 2012 it is! I was going to wait until Saturday to go pick it up, but went today. I am glad I did! Last Saturday I went by to look, and they had about 5 of this model. Today when I stopped by, this was the last 2012! Due to a strained patella tendon I probably will not actually ride it until next weekend, but it felt great riding around the parking lot at the store, and over curbs and stuff. Huge difference between this and my old 26 in Haro V2.

I am pretty excited to get back into bike riding! I have been running for exercise the past year or so, but am starting to get burned out. This should liven things up a bit. As a kid I rode my Walmart bikes all over the place, so I am really looking forward to this.

RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #1765
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,453
Only problem wid it is that it is far, far too clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #1766
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
New kid hauler (crappy pic):

It's an Electra Verse 21. I upgraded from a Trek 700. The Electra's a triple vs. a single chain ring on the Trek and the long top tube is more roomy with the Yepp seat. It has a quill type stem which the seat works best with, which is what caught my eye, but it's a nice ride too. Not too spendy...
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #1767
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Only problem wid it is that it is far, far too clean.
In time...

Of course, if we don't get any rain it may stay this clean no matter what I do
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #1768
CptSydor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
29er built and went for my first ride. Pleasantly surprised with how well I could 'flick' it in the tight singletrack.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #1769
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Just picked up my first MTB since I was in college, 7 years ago! It is a 2012 Trek Marlin 29er that was marked off pretty good since the 13s are out now. Only difference I can tell from the website is paint colors and schemes, so 2012 it is! I was going to wait until Saturday to go pick it up, but went today. I am glad I did! Last Saturday I went by to look, and they had about 5 of this model. Today when I stopped by, this was the last 2012! Due to a strained patella tendon I probably will not actually ride it until next weekend, but it felt great riding around the parking lot at the store, and over curbs and stuff. Huge difference between this and my old 26 in Haro V2.

I am pretty excited to get back into bike riding! I have been running for exercise the past year or so, but am starting to get burned out. This should liven things up a bit. As a kid I rode my Walmart bikes all over the place, so I am really looking forward to this.

Glad to see you found one. Now heal up and go get dirty.
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #1770
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
the stand is nice but what I really want is the 908 sitting there

Gotta stay stocked when the tire sales roll around, the big KTM chews them up proper.

I still can't believe the price on those fat bike tires.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: