Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 170 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #2821
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Not gonna happen without LOTS of $ being thrown at that minor (to most people) problem.

Most people don't know enough to know enough. They'll happily ride the crappiest seat known to man because they don't know that better seats are available.

...at least IME.

M
Not entirely true. A couple decades in the bicycle business, including the period in which Avocet began marketing its line of saddles and during which manufacturers finally realized some folks DO realize when their ass hurts and the saddle might be the reason, has shown me that people will pay for the difference. I prefer Brooks (a trusty Pro, a now-stolen Team Pro, a B17, a Fujita Pro--surprisingly good Brooks copy) but have had some break in quickly and right and others never (an early Brooks Titanium Swift and a French-made Ideale 90). Other brands have their advantages and drawbacks. In the end, so to speak, it all comes down to the butt and the perceived value of a replacement seat.

Incidentally, the trusty one got special treatment while touring in Italy. Some old guy recommended treating it with butter, so while camping each night I'd take the saddle off the bike, disassemble it and put butter on the underside, then work it by flexing and twisting it, then put it back on the for next day's ride. I won't claim that's the reason it is soft and comfy, but it IS soft and comfy.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #2822
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
Not entirely true. A couple decades in the bicycle business, including the period in which Avocet began marketing its line of saddles and during which manufacturers finally realized some folks DO realize when their ass hurts and the saddle might be the reason, has shown me that people will pay for the difference.
IME most people don't know how to ride their bikes (shifting, pedal stroke, etc), much less how to fit their bikes to them, so stocking a bunch of expensive-ass stuff is a waste of $$.

Quote:
I prefer Brooks (a trusty Pro, a now-stolen Team Pro, a B17, a Fujita Pro--surprisingly good Brooks copy) but have had some break in quickly and right and others never (an early Brooks Titanium Swift and a French-made Ideale 90). Other brands have their advantages and drawbacks. In the end, so to speak, it all comes down to the butt and the perceived value of a replacement seat.
The person who is looking for a Brooks has gone beyond 'I've got this great bike that I ride occasionally...' to 'I'm a cyclist...' There's a great chance when they get to 'enthusiast' status that they've found forums, the online places, and generally stop needing to run to the LBS to have their stems straightened.

M
Old 07-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #2823
J5k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I haven't gotten thought the entire thread yet but here's my favorite bike:

Carbon fiber frame + 50cc 2-stroke. Weeee!
J5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #2824
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
IME most people don't know how to ride their bikes (shifting, pedal stroke, etc), much less how to fit their bikes to them, so stocking a bunch of expensive-ass stuff is a waste of $$.

The person who is looking for a Brooks has gone beyond 'I've got this great bike that I ride occasionally...' to 'I'm a cyclist...' There's a great chance when they get to 'enthusiast' status that they've found forums, the online places, and generally stop needing to run to the LBS to have their stems straightened.

M
I was not suggesting that a Brooks is what everyone should want or have, and I do not disagree that many folks out there an bikes are totally clueless about riding. Don't even get me started on their situational awareness and ability to maneuver on public thoroughfares. My point was that even some of these folks can opine that they don't like riding due to discomfort in the nether regions, and that even these folks might agree that a more comfortable saddle might improve the riding experience. Helping someone like this find a better saddle might contribute to making such a person more interested in becoming a cycling enthusiast.

I have been out of the bike biz for a few years, but from what I've seen lately bike manufacturers are equipping bikes with saddles that at least appear to be better than what was stock in the bike boom days. It was tough then to convince someone who'd just spent good money on a bike that s/he needed to spend more on a better saddle. Many buyers did come back to do just that.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #2825
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,683
Quote:
I was not suggesting that a Brooks is what everyone should want or have, and I do not disagree that many folks out there an bikes are totally clueless about riding. Don't even get me started on their situational awareness and ability to maneuver on public thoroughfares. My point was that even some of these folks can opine that they don't like riding due to discomfort in the nether regions, and that even these folks might agree that a more comfortable saddle might improve the riding experience. Helping someone like this find a better saddle might contribute to making such a person more interested in becoming a cycling enthusiast.

I have been out of the bike biz for a few years, but from what I've seen lately bike manufacturers are equipping bikes with saddles that at least appear to be better than what was stock in the bike boom days. It was tough then to convince someone who'd just spent good money on a bike that s/he needed to spend more on a better saddle. Many buyers did come back to do just that.
I agree that the contact points on a bicycle are THE place to spend $$. Saddles, bars/grips or road bends. Get the right one(s) and your comfort improves significantly.

All the folks that I've talked to lately don't have a clue. Not a bit of one, actually. Most of the bikes wandering out of the shop cost $500 or less. ...and then they wonder WhyTF they fall apart when they commute on em. Gee. I don't know. Why DO cheap bikes fall apart when you ride em like that?!

M
Old 07-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #2826
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:

Agreed. It always infuriated me that the bike manufacturers would sell their frames for ludicrous $$$$ with a shite saddle and heavy, crap wheelsets as original equipment. At a minimum, they should offer their base model frame and allow the buyer to option up at a reduced price under MSRP. this may mean the buyer has to wait a few days for the options to be ordered/installed, but so long as the shop obtains a good-faith, non-refundable deposit on the package, I don't see a problem. A bike should be an investment, not a commodity.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #2827
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,018
fatbikers

Ok, I had a chance to ride a buddy's Pugsley for a short stint yesterday on rocky, boggy terrain and I'm convinced. For Newfoundland riding it might just be the best concept ever.

My Intense Tracer VP is very capable but the tires just couldn't do the flotation. We had a great ride until I tore off my derailleur again, thanks to mu friend for all the towing he did.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #2828
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,068
PCH was closed during the 4th of July Parade and we had the road without motor vehicle traffic..

svs screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 09:17 AM
svs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #2829
atadloco
Ouch.. Ta Daaaaaa..

Oddometer: 694
Always fun building your own.

photo 2013-07-03170517.jpg
atadloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #2830
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,885
Oh hey.....

...details?
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #2831
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Oh hey.....

...details?
tri-fat-bike? I see three tires...
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #2832
atadloco
Ouch.. Ta Daaaaaa..

That could be interesting, making a trike. My friend has a small bike fab business in New Hampshire (44 Bikes), and I picked up one of his frames. This is a Fat tire frame, I have the Nates (3.8) for spring, summer and fall and the third tire is a Surly Bud (4.8) that I'll run on the front once the snow falls. Both will be mounted on Marge lites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
tri-fat-bike? I see three tires...
Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #2833
atadloco
Ouch.. Ta Daaaaaa..

I'm hoping to be at the 29 to 30lbs range when done. 1x10 gearing will help a little, the biggest weight "loss" is in the tires. I have the 120TPI for both the Nate's and Buds, the Marge lites and using a lighter tube (Q-Tube) that works on a 2.25 to 2.75 tire, but more than half the weight of a Surly tube.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #2834
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadloco View Post
My friend has a small bike fab business in New Hampshire (44 Bikes)
That dude builds some nice stuff.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #2835
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,018
most of my bikes are custom builds with a few exceptions, like who needs a custom built beach cruiser for getting to the beach? Not me. I'd love to build up a fat bike but I don't think it's in the budget
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: