Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
OK, that's pretty cool.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #2882
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Any recommendation on bike shoes that aren't hard soled?
Have you also looked at your pedals? I'm enjoying going clipless, no problems even on long rides and tours. The VP Thin Gripsters are fantastic, and nicely spread the force of pedaling over a broad area.

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/pe4.htm
Old 07-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #2883
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,025
My wife got my a surprise present

I have a 38tooth bash ring that is supposed to be here Friday - hopefully I don't break any teeth off my outer sprocket on Friday morning's run up the mountain
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #2884
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
The whole point of bicycle shoes is to have stiff soles so they can transmit all the energy developed by your legs into the pedals with out the plant of you foot looking like a sad banana..

"...a sad banana"; we miss you Ricky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
i've had a black pair of those QPs for a while that i got for riding my Scorcher; they're wonderful, but they're not favorite choice for walking a great deal.

if you like the look of those, you might also consider these:
http://www.dromarti.com/index.php?ma...products_id=15

you might want to break the leathers in like we used to do with our old Vittorias and Detto Pietros; wear them to bed with warm socks *over* them a night or 2 to give the leather a chance to warm up and conform to your foot before you put a lot of stress on them. you, your shoes and your feet will then all be happier in the long run.

and before anyone asks, no tweed, pipes or 'stylish' facial hair here...

cheers!

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #2885
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I have one of these.

Way bright

M
This cheapo light has the 4 x 18650 Batteries but one reviewer states " the batteries are not replaceable". Those batteries are available cheap on ebay -

1 can they be replaced in the battery pack or
2 Is each battery spot welded together so that the whole pack must be replaced.

How many hours use did you get

1when new and
2 what drop off in charge duration did you experience say 20 or 50 recharges??
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:15 AM   #2886
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
This cheapo light has the 4 x 18650 Batteries but one reviewer states " the batteries are not replaceable". Those batteries are available cheap on ebay -

1when new and
I'm too lazy to look it up on my phone right now, but there are write ups on replacing spot welded in 18650 cells. Garmin uses them on the 276/376 etc line of GPS units, so the info is on this very site somewhere.

I've done it on those packs as well as others. It's not terribly hard, but you do need soldering skills AND a very good soldering GUN (an iron won't deliver enough heat).

--Donnie
Old 07-18-2013, 04:36 AM   #2887
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post

1when new and
Dood. Don't overthink this. Its a $40 chinese copy of a chinese copy of an American light.

That said I got north of 3hr run times on low and IDK on high. I typically don't run the thing on high 'cause its bright enough to see by on low.

...and no, they're not 1200 lumens as advertised. I've been told the T-6 emitter won't go that high.

M
Old 07-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #2888
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Those are sick!!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #2889
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Have you also looked at your pedals? I'm enjoying going clipless, no problems even on long rides and tours. The VP Thin Gripsters are fantastic, and nicely spread the force of pedaling over a broad area.

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/pe4.htm
Those are cool too. Not really sure what I'm going to right now.

I might wait until I get a FS before I buy clipless...
Old 07-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #2890
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Dood. Don't overthink this. Its a $40 chinese copy of a chinese copy of an American light.
Cheers. Thanks but its a forum, I love to think - I don't need more cheap chinese crap that gives up the ghost after 6-12 months! Found this thing which looks more interesting as it'll take a variety of voltages and lends itself to sticking some batteries in the seat tube..
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #2891
AngryPasser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Question for Road Bikers

Hope it is okay to post this question on here but I will be buying a road bike any day and will make sure I post a photo.

I found a 2004 Trek Model 2200 for sale and it looks to be in really nice condition. There are 2 issues that are making me wonder if it is the right bike for me. I will be buying the bike for casual solo riding for general fitness and possible group rides. I live in north western North Carolina and the roads are pretty much flat / rolling hills based on which direction you head.

The issues I am wondering about is that the Trek has a triple chain ring, never had one of those. Wondering if this will be an impediment to general riding?

The second issue is the owner states that "the rear wheel has a very slight flat spot that is barely noticeable on very smooth roads I really don't notice it". I am wondering if this is more than likely repairable by a local bike mechanic if it is noticeable to me as I weigh about 185 at this time.

I appreciate the feedback and hope you have a good summer.

AngryPasser screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 07:27 AM
AngryPasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #2892
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Any recommendation on bike shoes that aren't hard soled?
I switched my bikes over to MTB pedals and wear Specialized's Sonoma (now discontinued, but, like their Tahoe and Primo line) MTB shoes. I'll never go back to road shoes.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #2893
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPasser View Post
Hope it is okay to post this question on here but I will be buying a road bike any day and will make sure I post a photo.

I found a 2004 Trek Model 2200 for sale and it looks to be in really nice condition. There are 2 issues that are making me wonder if it is the right bike for me. I will be buying the bike for casual solo riding for general fitness and possible group rides. I live in north western North Carolina and the roads are pretty much flat / rolling hills based on which direction you head.

The issues I am wondering about is that the Trek has a triple chain ring, never had one of those. Wondering if this will be an impediment to general riding?

The second issue is the owner states that "the rear wheel has a very slight flat spot that is barely noticeable on very smooth roads I really don't notice it". I am wondering if this is more than likely repairable by a local bike mechanic if it is noticeable to me as I weigh about 185 at this time.

I appreciate the feedback and hope you have a good summer.
A flat spot on the wheel's outer surface is not a repairable flaw. It usually means the wheel struck a surface with an under-inflated tire and flattened a section where the bead meets the wheel. This can result in a slight "hop" sensation while riding and may present no problems if it's not too exaggerated. Wheels can be re-laced rather cheaply though and made stronger by using a better quality of rim/spoke/nipple combo. If the hub is good quality, this might be worth looking into. If not, it's probably better to search out a new wheel set if you plan on keeping the bike for the foreseeable future. I have no experience with Trek bikes other than they are one of the biggest manufacturers on the planet, so frame quality should be on par as such.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #2894
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
A flat spot on the wheel's outer surface is not a repairable flaw. It usually means the wheel struck a surface with an under-inflated tire and flattened a section where the bead meets the wheel. This can result in a slight "hop" sensation while riding and may present no problems if it's not too exaggerated. Wheels can be re-laced rather cheaply though and made stronger by using a better quality of rim/spoke/nipple combo. If the hub is good quality, this might be worth looking into. If not, it's probably better to search out a new wheel set if you plan on keeping the bike for the foreseeable future. I have no experience with Trek bikes other than they are one of the biggest manufacturers on the planet, so frame quality should be on par as such.
VAR, and probably other companies, made a tool that does pull out flat spots on rims. Done correctly it can work to repair them, but depending on the availability of the tool and the price of a replacement rim/wheel you might just go that way. Also, depending on your sensitivity you might even not notice the "hop" if it is slight.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #2895
AngryPasser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks for the feedback on the rim guys, anyone have an opinion on the triple chain ring setup?
AngryPasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: