That Klein needs a bottle: www.kleinbottle.com
Old 08-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #3182
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,275
Now...on to the resto project...

Before...

after...

Now comes the fun part...strrrrretch the carcass.

aaaand wait...

DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #3183
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Until you encounter a long grade. Disc FTW, then.
doesn't seem to be working out that way for the Tandem set; discs seem to be making very slow inroads into the Tandem world, as there's still plenty of talk in that community about discs not having solved their issues. (personally, the cantis on our tandem have still worked out fine for us.) and then there's the wear issue; i know people who pack extra disc pads shoes in their seatpacks because they've needed to change them in the middle of a trail ride. i've *never* had to pack a spare set of rim pads for a tour.

Quote:
That can all be worked around, by buying racks that fit. There are so many choices available, now, finding something that works isn't a big deal.
you might hope so,... but there are still plenty of complaints about interference issues, and significantly fewer of them involve canti/linear-pull brakes.
personally, i'd rather not have my choice in racks/panniers limited by brakes that introduce at least as many problems as they 'solve', especially since there seem to be so many racks out there that don't do a very good job of keeping a load stable on a bike. if i'm pedaling my way down a road/trail (or better yet, coasting down a nice hill at speed), i don't want the load on my bike anything less than rock-steady.

Quote:
Meh. I'd venture to say that MTBs encounter more load, via impact, than a touring bike will ever see. Therefore, one shouldn't see any more problems than a rim-brake wheel. I certainly haven't seen any out-of-true issues with my disc stuff.
apples vs. oranges; even if we were talking about wheels that were the same size, there's a significant difference between the rim width and tire volume of MTB vs Touring bike wheels.

Quote:
As far as asymmetries go, again, I doubt there's anything to worry about. Motorcycles have had single-side brakes and swingarms, for years.
do motorcycles have dished wheels?

Quote:
Cannondale detractors used to say "What about....?" with their Lefty fork, yet, the fork has proven itself.
"proven itself"?
i haven't seen the same experience, i guess, because i've seen people move away from it. i'm not sure that's a great example anyway,... has anyone else picked up on it to use it?

Quote:
Cassettes have resulted in off-center loading(?), for years. Rear wheels are dished, regardless of brake choice. And, probably, carry more weight than the front, because of the rider's weight being rear-biased. People have no reservation, about that.
and rear axles are significantly longer to try to recover some of that spoke angle bracing.
hi-low hubs and off-center rims would all seem to imply that there are people who have more than "no reservation" about the issue.

Quote:
One can come up with a variety of reasons about anything. The truth is, it's just speculation on the what-ifs. Things are so overly tested, thanks to a litigious society, that I'm pretty confident of most name brand stuff on the market.
frankly, i don't share your faith in corporate concerns for anything outside a profit, or in the legal system. in the end, i'd prefer to have my original teeth than a winning lawsuit.

Quote:
You can build whatever touring bike, however you want. But, based on what I've seen at most shops, they most likely will not have what you want, anyway. Need a chain, tube, cable? That's not a problem. Need a derailleur, touring tire, cantilever brake set, lever parts, pannier set or rack? That's going to be a problem.
my experience hasn't been that dismal, but i'll agree that many shops are less likely to carry stuff for touring bikes; it's always been that way for the tiny fraction of the market that touring bikes make up. but if you're on tour in Podunk, and the only place that sells anything like bicycle bits is Wally World or the local Acme, you're more likely to find parts like brake pads and cables for the more 'pedestrian' technologies.

i love my high-performance stuff, but i've got a different mindset about touring bikes than i might about some of my other bikes; touring bikes are supposed to help me not have any issues while i'm out. i'd rather i don't have any issues to start with, and would prefer that if i do, they remain small ones with minimal impact on my overall touring experience.

cheers!

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #3184
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
doesn't seem to be working out that way for the Tandem set; discs seem to be making very slow inroads into the Tandem world, as there's still plenty of ......... ...........all touring experience.

cheers!
To quote Willie Wier (kind of).
Have you ridden disk brakes personally on either a touring bike or a tandem?
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #3185
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
To quote Willie Wier (kind of).
Have you ridden disk brakes personally on either a touring bike or a tandem?
in the rain, fully loaded, in an oh-shit moment?
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #3186
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
in the rain, fully loaded, in an oh-shit moment?
Ceramic rims are wonderful in the rain, even on a tandem..
Old 08-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #3187
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
That Klein needs a bottle: www.kleinbottle.com
Andy you are such a GeeK...
Old 08-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #3188
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
and then there's the wear issue; i know people who pack extra disc pads shoes in their seatpacks because they've needed to change them in the middle of a trail ride. i've *never* had to pack a spare set of rim pads for a tour.
Whaaaat? Unless you just don't pay any attention to disc brake pads, you should never need to take those on a ride, either! Also, you have to look a tad harder, but you CAN see how worn they are without removing anything. And when you *do* need to change them, most require zero tools.

You might have some arguments for cantis in your favor, but not this one. Disc pads easily last hundreds and hundreds of miles, if not thousands depending on application. They're smaller and easier to pack and easier to change if you did want to take them with you and wear your set completely out, too.

--Donnie
Old 08-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #3189
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Andy you are such a GeeK...
Did you ever meet Cliff Stoll? He's the original mad scientist. He made his own radar detector with a coffee can and a Mac Plus, and used it to measure speeds of cars on Colby street. With the data he acquired, he convinced the Oakland City Council to put in those speed bumps... and so now we have some fun jumps while riding home!

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-03-...or-cliff-stoll
Old 08-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #3190
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Did you ever meet Cliff Stoll? He's the original mad scientist. He made his own radar detector with a coffee can and a Mac Plus, and used it to measure speeds of cars on Colby street. With the data he acquired, he convinced the Oakland City Council to put in those speed bumps... and so now we have some fun jumps while riding home!

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-03-...or-cliff-stoll
Cool article, I read the whole thing but sadly I have no idea who he is..
Old 08-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #3191
doorman
Aimless

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Nice Klein, what a steal at $50. You must be familiar with the Levis trails?
Heard of them but haven't made the trip over to check them out. I've only done the trails local to Eau Claire. Looks like they are about an hour from me. Worth the trip?

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #3192
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,056
Sorry, no pics. But I just picked up a vintage Giant Iguana, probably from the early 90s. It was listed on CL, free, come and get it. And luckily, very close to home. I was expecting a real turd, but it's actually in VERY good condition, needs tubes and a tune up. It's going to be my "riding with the kids on the greenway" bike.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #3193
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Now...on to the resto project...

Before...

after...

Now comes the fun part...strrrrretch the carcass.

aaaand wait...

Do yourself a favor. Don't ride those wheels. They've been known to disintegrate and that just causes bad things to happen.

M
Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #3194
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
Whaaaat? Unless you just don't pay any attention to disc brake pads, you should never need to take those on a ride, either! Also, you have to look a tad harder, but you CAN see how worn they are without removing anything. And when you *do* need to change them, most require zero tools.

You might have some arguments for cantis in your favor, but not this one. Disc pads easily last hundreds and hundreds of miles, if not thousands depending on application. They're smaller and easier to pack and easier to change if you did want to take them with you and wear your set completely out, too.

--Donnie
There was a big stink at this years Cross Nats over discs. Seems some folks were wearing out a set of pads per lap.

Me? while I don't ride my mtn bike nearly as often as some, I'm going on a more'n a few rides on my Avid BB-7 pads.

M
Old 08-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #3195
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
There was a big stink at this years Cross Nats over discs. Seems some folks were wearing out a set of pads per lap.

Me? while I don't ride my mtn bike nearly as often as some, I'm going on a more'n a few rides on my Avid BB-7 pads.

M
I have worn out a set of disc pads in a 12 mile lap of a race before but that was more my fault. I was running stupid aluminum rotors with organic pads. With that said, no rim brake pad would have made it through those conditions either. It was pretty much the worst mud I have ever seen.

I remember back in the day, we had replaceable cartridge rim brake pads, we would carry spares with us and change them on the trail. That is nothing new.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: