Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 164 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #3331
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
To the right person it is. Fit is most important. Time has passed it by, disc brakes are really nice to have. It also has 26" wheels, if you go on a group ride, almost everyone is going to be on a 29er. If those two things don't concern you, don't worry about it and ride it. It is a really nice bike from about 15 years ago.
Humph. Discs are nice, but they're not the be-all end-all of braking. I still have v-brakes on the back of my bike and I still slow down just fine.

...and if you ride with me, there'll be at least 4 of us on 26ers! One of us on a bike from 1995 that you'll have problems keeping in sight! My mtn bike is running the same components. They've been on 3 different frames now.

Is the bike worth $800? Sure 'cause its Ti and Merlin. ...but... Ya gotta love both Ti and Merlins.

Ya gotta try the Ti out tho man. At least take it for a ride. There's something magical about that ride.

M
Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #3332
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. My friend bought it for $800. I was just curious if it is worth it? To him it was, and to me it looked like it is. Great looking, high quality components, new tires and VERY light weight comparred to my Trek.

Thanks for all the info, he will like to hear it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #3333
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
The bike comes with a double crank. I need to buy shifters and would like to swap to a triple crank in the future, but plan to ride with the double for a bit. Want to know if the triple shifter will work with the double crankset.

I'm thinking the "throw" on the triple shifter might be too "short" to use it for a double crankset. (ie 1-2 on a double shifter has a longer "throw" than the 1-2 on a triple shifter)
The "throw" at the shifter is irrelevant. I believe the "throw" at the gears will be the same. All you need is a keeper to stop it from going into a non-existent granny, and a slight inward adjustment to the stops.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #3334
Plasticjesus
random roadburner

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
The bike comes with a double crank. I need to buy shifters and would like to swap to a triple crank in the future, but plan to ride with the double for a bit. Want to know if the triple shifter will work with the double crankset.

I'm thinking the "throw" on the triple shifter might be too "short" to use it for a double crankset. (ie 1-2 on a double shifter has a longer "throw" than the 1-2 on a triple shifter)
buy the triple now if thats the way you wanna go
set it up on the 2-3 throw works better on a double crank
lower end groupos are mostly 3 lh option only even if the bike comes specced double chainring
but triples are kinda out now unless you love big hills
compact size double is better ratios and less complicated than triple
Plasticjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #3335
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,630
Ugh. Hed freehub seems to have nearly locked up on the way into work this morning. It'll spin free-ish, but not until it dumps some chain on the chainstay while taking slack out of the rear derailleur.

This goes beyond my 'fiddle with this barrel until the shifts are smooth and I don't hear clicking' level of bike maintenance. Before I mounted the cassette, I saw what I thought was a grease hole in the freehub. Will going to town with WD-40 to wash the old stuff out and hitting it with new grease/oil work?

I've got an email sent off to Hed to ask, but figured you all might have a quicker turn-around.

Dang. This was supposed to be in the Bicycling thread. I'll repost over there.

YakSpout screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 10:07 AM
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #3336
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticjesus View Post
buy the triple now if thats the way you wanna go
set it up on the 2-3 throw works better on a double crank
lower end groupos are mostly 3 lh option only even if the bike comes specced double chainring
but triples are kinda out now unless you love big hills
compact size double is better ratios and less complicated than triple

Triples seem to be going the way of the dodo. That front derailleur is just too fiddly.

A compact with a 28 or 30 tooth cog on the rear cassette will get you just about there unless you're pulling a load or you have to head up major climbs on a regular basis. (>15%)
Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #3337
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

Triples seem to be going the way of the dodo. That front derailleur is just too fiddly.

A compact with a 28 or 30 tooth cog on the rear cassette will get you just about there unless you're pulling a load or you have to head up major climbs on a regular basis. (>15%)
A I like my mtb to climblike a goat. 2x does shift nice. But gain ratio trumps trimming if sheer functionality is the measure of your mtb
Old 08-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #3338
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
A I like my mtb to climblike a goat. 2x does shift nice. But gain ratio trumps trimming if sheer functionality is the measure of your mtb
MTB? Oops. Thought we were talking roadies.

Aren't MTBs heading into 1x11 territory now to get rid of any front der?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #3339
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Yep...if you get to ride a lift up to the top of the mtn, 1x11 is a great way to go. Alot less probability of dropping your chain.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #3340
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:

shit i have been running a 1x9 MTB since 2008. 36t front with 11-32 cassette. Simple and plenty of gearing for the hills of WV. a granny ring is useless around here.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #3341
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Oops, for me... I bet he *was* talking road, not mtb, since he mentioned sti shifters. Yeah...3x roadies are pretty much getting into loaded touring territory.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #3342
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,502
My 2012 Felt Team 9 came with 2x10
Changed it to 3x9.
For me it gives a better spread of gears and more speed - which for where and what I ride is good. With my non standard chain ring teeth numbers I still get a close equivlient to a 2x10 but then when we hit the more open trails, road, tracks, I can go up to the big ring and put some gap in them
I also ride with roadies a fair bit
tailor what you have to the kinda of riding you do.

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #3343
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
2x10speed?!? I can only afford ONE speed!!

And my mechanic has no clue what he's doing!
Very cool bike. I'm working on my second single speed project bike, posted my first build earlier on this thread. The second is also a budget bike but an over sized seat post jammed into the seat tube is giving me fits. It just doesn't want to be removed. I'm at the sawzal point trying to get the seat post out as in cutting down the inside of the seat post and try removing it in sections. Wish me luck.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #3344
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevishook View Post
Very cool bike. I'm working on my second single speed project bike, posted my first build earlier on this thread. The second is also a budget bike but an over sized seat post jammed into the seat tube is giving me fits. It just doesn't want to be removed. I'm at the sawzal point trying to get the seat post out as in cutting down the inside of the seat post and try removing it in sections. Wish me luck.
Youch... would a star nut fit down there? With a star nut, a long screw, and a few washers, You could fashion a slide puller, and try to hammer that fucker out with something heavy striking the washers.

You could also dremel out three holes in the seat post and stick in a *real* slide puller reverse-jaw tool too.

Apply some serious impact.

I know it's insane, but I really like my singlespeed. :) I've no use for it except for shits n giggles, and getting a good workout in.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 04:28 PM
Old 08-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #3345
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,185
Quote:

Yeah starting to, some of them, however, the special chain and $350 cassettes are a pretty big turn off for me.

As it is I rarely really use the granny ring, and when I do its on the small end of the casset, if I must I can run a 2x9 or even 2.8 and just deal with the front derailer.....its always the rear that gives me issues on my bike anyway.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: