Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 188 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #3346
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,818
That is really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Is this bike worth $800? My friend thinks so.

Jim
Old 08-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #3347
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Question, can you run a double crank with Shimano STI 3x10 shifters or is the "throw" different (shorter, to be precise) with a triple front shifter?

The bike I'm building has a double, but I'd like the option to put a triple on there, wondering if I can get the 3x10 shifters or am I stuck with the 2x10.

Hmmmm.
I don't know about the road world(if you're dealing with road components) but I have a Shimano XT MTB shifter and it has a toggle on the bottom letting you choose between 2 or 3 chain rings. The indexing(throw) is the exact same. Might be worth looking into or do what driveshaft said. I built up a MTB and wasn't sure what I was going to run and wanted options so I went with that shifter. I currently run 1x10(11-34/34); works well for this area. My crank is a triple so I have the option of running 1, 2 or 3 x 10.

And since this is a "show us" thread here's a crappy picture of the shifter not on the bike.

Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #3348
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,655
not sure what language you're referring to, or what you might have read about what they're doing now, but i can assure you that people have been known to pop the seals out of those bearings with an Xacto knife to refresh the grease in them. "maintenance free" doesn't necessarily mean "unmaintainable".

nowadays, i just replace the whole bearing when they become tired (and they do). on the FSA/C hubs, it's simple. on the BBs, not so much... but that's not as common and Phil's nearby, so that simplifies things for me.

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I think I may have mis-remembered language from their hub products wrt serviceability. Their new bb bearings sport double-labyrinth seals, which would imply maintenance free.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #3349
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
not sure what language you're referring to, or what you might have read about what they're doing now, but i can assure you that people have been known to pop the seals out of those bearings with an Xacto knife to refresh the grease in them. "maintenance free" doesn't necessarily mean "unmaintainable".

nowadays, i just replace the whole bearing when they become tired (and they do). on the FSA/C hubs, it's simple. on the BBs, not so much... but that's not as common and Phil's nearby, so that simplifies things for me.

cheers!
oh cool. I wasn't going to mess with it, bcs some of those seals are throw-away type deals, and I didn't want to deal with finding replacements amongst the other stuff I'm trying to get done. Thx!
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #3350
CoCamper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33

Old 08-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #3351
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
^^^ What is that? Lookin' like the 70's.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #3352
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,444
[IMG][/IMG]

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #3353
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
^^^ What is that? Lookin' like the 70's.
Looks like an Austrian made Sears 3 speed.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #3354
CoCamper
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Looks like an Austrian made Sears 3 speed.
Correct! Because of the D cell headlight and the 26" rim size, I believe it is a 1970 model.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #3355
brentde3
Should be outside

Oddometer: 535
Care to help out a bicycle n00b?

So I want a bicycle. My son has really gotten into his, finally, and wants to ride to his school (about three miles from our house) when it starts back up again. I'd like to ride with him, as I can see him safely to school and then head to work, about a mile back in the other direction.

But...bicycles have changed a helluva lot since the last time I owned one (1992, bought at a Toys R Us, it totally sucked).

Here's the deal: We're talking maybe seven miles a day, total, but there are two huge hills to contend with. My college campus's driveway is just about vertical. The pavement is heated in the winter because if it weren't, even the snowplows with chains on would just slide right down it.

Budget constrains are around $450, which prices me out of most new bikes. Of the ones I've tried out, I've liked the "road" style best, drop bars, etc. Just more comfortable to me. I don't know why. My LBS has a Trek 1000 from 2004 for $400, but that still seems high for a nearly ten year old bike. My wife almost bought me a cheapo GMC something-or-other from Wally World the other day, but that doesn't seem like a very good idea either.

I've checked around for used bikes, but the market around here is pretty crappy so far. Might you fine folk have any advice?

IBA# 49512
brentde3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #3356
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCamper View Post
Wow! Except for the seat, looks like fine shape for an oldie.
Memory lane - I had an all-black one bought from my friend who used it for paper delivery for 3 years, then I used it for 3 years with big steel pannier baskets delivering 250 weekly local bargain finder papers. Then on and off for rec use for 10+ more years. Totally bulletproof high quality workhorse bike. Thanks for the pics!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #3357
CoCamper
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
Wow! Except for the seat, looks like fine shape for an oldie.
Memory lane - I had an all-black one bought from my friend who used it for paper delivery for 3 years, then I used it for 3 years with big steel pannier baskets delivering 250 weekly local bargain finder papers. Then on and off for rec use for 10+ more years. Totally bulletproof high quality workhorse bike. Thanks for the pics!
Thanks! I have seen pictures of the all black version. Black fenders too, yes? I lucked across this bike at a yard sale, and paid $40. It was complete, including the stock white wall tires. One has damage to the tread, hence the black walls. I have been eyeing the Brooks B67 in black as a replacement seat.

Thanks for the comment, and for sharing your experience with your bike. It makes me wish I knew the history of mine better.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #3358
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Correct! Because of the D cell headlight and the 26" rim size, I believe it is a 1970 model.
Check the rear hub, it should be dated.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #3359
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Thanks! I have seen pictures of the all black version. Black fenders too, yes? I lucked across this bike at a yard sale, and paid $40. It was complete, including the stock white wall tires. One has damage to the tread, hence the black walls. I have been eyeing the Brooks B67 in black as a replacement seat.

Thanks for the comment, and for sharing your experience with your bike. It makes me wish I knew the history of mine better.
My pleasure.
Yes, the fenders were also black. The decals were the same as yours (I remember the triangle with the arrow representing a road).
As I recall now, the original seat didn't last long on mine, I replaced it with the one from my dead Royce Union (a POS bike by comparison). The Brooks would be perfect for it!
And in 3 years of deliveries, I might have not used it twice in the winters because of DEEP snow. Regular snow was no problem.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #3360
ChrissRhodess
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Ld labs

Here's my baby! I live in the city so fixie is the way to go. Hey, at least I run a front brake

ChrissRhodess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: