User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #3361
ChrissRhodess
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
My beloved Livery Design Groupe Aero! I live in a city so fixie is the way to be... hey at least I run a front brake!

ChrissRhodess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #3362
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
^^^ That's cool!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #3363
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentde3 View Post
So I want a bicycle. My son has really gotten into his, finally, and wants to ride to his school (about three miles from our house) when it starts back up again. I'd like to ride with him, as I can see him safely to school and then head to work, about a mile back in the other direction.

But...bicycles have changed a helluva lot since the last time I owned one (1992, bought at a Toys R Us, it totally sucked).

Here's the deal: We're talking maybe seven miles a day, total, but there are two huge hills to contend with. My college campus's driveway is just about vertical. The pavement is heated in the winter because if it weren't, even the snowplows with chains on would just slide right down it.

Budget constrains are around $450, which prices me out of most new bikes. Of the ones I've tried out, I've liked the "road" style best, drop bars, etc. Just more comfortable to me. I don't know why. My LBS has a Trek 1000 from 2004 for $400, but that still seems high for a nearly ten year old bike. My wife almost bought me a cheapo GMC something-or-other from Wally World the other day, but that doesn't seem like a very good idea either.

I've checked around for used bikes, but the market around here is pretty crappy so far. Might you fine folk have any advice?
Hit up the bicycle thread, down in "sports".
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #3364
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissRhodess View Post
My beloved Livery Design Groupe Aero!
Nicer ride, my next project might be a LDG Hammer build.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #3365
brentde3
Should be outside

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Hit up the bicycle thread, down in "sports".
Thanks!

IBA# 49512
brentde3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #3366
ChrissRhodess
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Nicer ride, my next project might be a LDG Hammer build.
My LDG is great. Super light and I love the tight geometry. Their customer service on the other hand blows. Took em a weeks and multiple emails to confirm my order... Then sent out the wrong sized headset... Even though it was their frame and the forks were from them.... Sweet bikes just be vigilante.

Boston
Strong
ChrissRhodess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #3367
Pez
b00b

Oddometer: 597
Hey Peeps, Wonder if ya'll can help?

Ya see, I just started a new career in a new town and in love with it all. But one thing is missing. I have always wanted to commute to work by bike. Every placed I've lived before forced a highway commute or a road filled with blind curves and logging trucks splitting lanes. But now, my commute is 1.6 miles.. Yes 1.6 miles from my home to work. Greatest shit ever! You should try it Anyway I'm looking for a great bike. Light, fast and comfortable. Not looking to stay in shape aka not interested in Carbon fiber road bikes. But a 2013 version of a 70's Schwinn. Classic style is key here.

What I am currently riding is this heavy, creaky and slow 81 ish Schwinn World Tourist.

Aesthetically, this bike is perfect in every way to me. It just sits right. So I am looking for my 2013 version of this, maybe aluminum frame?

So what do you bike guru suggest?

Thanks

A message for all of Humanity
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #3368
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentde3 View Post
So I want a bicycle. My son has really gotten into his, finally, and wants to ride to his school (about three miles from our house) when it starts back up again. I'd like to ride with him, as I can see him safely to school and then head to work, about a mile back in the other direction.

But...bicycles have changed a helluva lot since the last time I owned one (1992, bought at a Toys R Us, it totally sucked).

Here's the deal: We're talking maybe seven miles a day, total, but there are two huge hills to contend with. My college campus's driveway is just about vertical. The pavement is heated in the winter because if it weren't, even the snowplows with chains on would just slide right down it.

Budget constrains are around $450, which prices me out of most new bikes. Of the ones I've tried out, I've liked the "road" style best, drop bars, etc. Just more comfortable to me. I don't know why. My LBS has a Trek 1000 from 2004 for $400, but that still seems high for a nearly ten year old bike. My wife almost bought me a cheapo GMC something-or-other from Wally World the other day, but that doesn't seem like a very good idea either.

I've checked around for used bikes, but the market around here is pretty crappy so far. Might you fine folk have any advice?
It's the opposite of what you say you like, but given your commute (shortish, with steep hills, and with your son, not racing), and your budget, I think I'd look for an older hardtail mountain bike with good components in decent shape, put some street tires on it, and ride that. You'll have low gearing for the hills (some road bikes, especially older ones don't have good low gears), and it should be relatively comfortable. Prices drop on mountain bikes more than on road bikes in my experience/watching of CL. That said, there are good road bike deals to be had- I'd say minimum requirements should be brifters (shifters integrated into brakes), triple chainring up front, and ability to run a 28c tire (i.e., not a racing bike that only fits really skinny stuff.

You should probably at least look at bikesdirect.com, they have road bikes in your price range that fit all of those criteria brand new. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but it will inform your shopping.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:53 AM   #3369
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Old 08-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #3370
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post

Ya see, I just started a new career in a new town and in love with it all. But one thing is missing. I have always wanted to commute to work by bike. Every placed I've lived before forced a highway commute or a road filled with blind curves and logging trucks splitting lanes. But now, my commute is 1.6 miles.. Yes 1.6 miles from my home to work. Greatest shit ever! You should try it Anyway I'm looking for a great bike. Light, fast and comfortable. Not looking to stay in shape aka not interested in Carbon fiber road bikes. But a 2013 version of a 70's Schwinn. Classic style is key here.

What I am currently riding is this heavy, creaky and slow 81 ish Schwinn World Tourist.

Aesthetically, this bike is perfect in every way to me. It just sits right. So I am looking for my 2013 version of this, maybe aluminum frame?

Thanks
Check out Electras (maybe with a k instead of a c I don't remember)

M
Old 08-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #3371
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Check out Electras (maybe with a k instead of a c I don't remember)

M

http://www.electrabike.com/
Old 08-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #3372
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post

Thanks
You might take a look at the Bianchi Campione, too.
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #3373
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 564
Testing out my Bikepacking setup

Did a quick trip to Saturna Island

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #3374
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,184
^That's one fine, sturdy lookin' Lab!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #3375
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post
^That's one fine, sturdy lookin' Lab!

Thanks. Ya he's a great hound, although he has really put a dampner on my ADV Riding. Keeps eating socks and dog toys. He has had 3 surgerys for foriegn object removal. He's F- ing suicidal.

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: