User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 190 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #3781
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,153
I put a brake booster on my Brodie JoJo tandem in hopes it would stop the sgueal but no such luck. New fork with disk mounts would be nice but I'm sure not worth the $$.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #3782
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
I put a brake booster on my Brodie JoJo tandem in hopes it would stop the sgueal but no such luck. New fork with disk mounts would be nice but I'm sure not worth the $$.
Brake boosters are a good approach, but did you start with the basics like sanding the rim down to clean it or giving the brake pads some toe in (about 1mm)..?

Then again sometimes the fork just flex to much and is not much you can do..
Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #3783
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Then again sometimes the fork just flex to much and is not much you can do..
Not only too much flex, but, flex harmonics/oscillations. Some characteristics of the material just don't jive with cantis. Seems the stiffness of carbon forks don't lend themselves to absorbing much chatter at all.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #3784
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Seems to me that the steerer mounted cable stops and flex are the big culprits behind canti brake chatter. I had the worst chatter with the cantis on my LHT until I replaced the cable stop on the steerer with a fork crown mounted one. No problems since!

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #3785
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Seems to me that the steerer mounted cable stops and flex are the big culprits behind canti brake chatter. I had the worst chatter with the cantis on my LHT until I replaced the cable stop on the steerer with a fork crown mounted one. No problems since!
Same two differences with our Tricrosses. Her crown-mount have never chattered. My steerer-mount do/did.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #3786
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,232
Quote:
You learn something new everyday, I have to confess I never look at the cable hanger as part of the chatter problem, thanks for sharing your experience..
Old 11-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #3787
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
You learn something new everyday, I have to confess I never look at the cable hanger as part of the chatter problem, thanks for sharing your experience..
No problem, it took me a lot of reading to get to that solution The idea is that braking causes flex in the steering tube, which then pulls and slacks the brake cable, which then causes the ABS-like chattering as the brakes go on and off. Putting the stop on the crown stops the chatter because it can't flex like the steerer does.

I figured I had it worst because I'm fat. Sorta glad to know other folks have that problem

Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #3788
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This pic is floating around here, somewhere else. Same bikes, different cable hanger, different results. I added the Shorty Ultimates in a quest to stop the chatter. They didn't completely eliminate it. That validated the difference coming down to the hangers.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #3789
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No problem, it took me a lot of reading to get to that solution The idea is that braking causes flex in the steering tube, which then pulls and slacks the brake cable, which then causes the ABS-like chattering as the brakes go on and off. Putting the stop on the crown stops the chatter because it can't flex like the steerer does.
Interesting.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #3790
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,066
Quote:

I figured I had it worst because I'm fat. Sorta glad to know other folks have that problem
I was running a crown-mounted cable stop on my older Riv, before putting the V-brakes on. And I have the same on my Riiv singlespeed. For both, it made an improvement in braking that I could feel - seemed crisper, less mushiness. Didn't really notice a change in what small amount of pulsing might have been there.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #3791
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I was running a crown-mounted cable stop on my older Riv, before putting the V-brakes on. And I have the same on my Riiv singlespeed. For both, it made an improvement in braking that I could feel - seemed crisper, less mushiness. Didn't really notice a change in what small amount of pulsing might have been there.
I'm still interested in hearing how your mini V experiment pans out. I was really close to trying a set of those to boost my brakes but ended up going with the cable stop to save some money and stay close to stock. I'm much happier with the brakes as they are now, and braking from the drops is as good as I'd ever want it, but I find myself wanting better feel when braking from the hoods.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #3792
mcstark
KaTooM convert

Oddometer: 975
Here's my lone pedal bike. I sold my full suspension Stumpjumper and my singlespeed Tricross last year to fund this one.

A 2012 Felt F75x cross bike

I use it for mostly road work, but wanted to keep my options open for riding some dirt - it's the GS of bicycles.

It came with some throwback "euro canti's," which sucked, period. They also chattered something fierce with the carbon fork, so they got tossed. I replaced them with some Tektro v-brakes designed to work with road levers.

The stopping power is damn impressive. Unfortunately, it's easy to overpower the skinny road tires now.

I also replaced the crank with an FSA Gossamer, as the original would never stay tight and I just didn't feel like dealing with a warranty claim.

Now I just need to ride the damn thing more!

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #3793
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstark View Post
Now I just need to ride the damn thing more!
Once you get to spring, you'll have plenty of places to ride. The finger lakes are a gorgeous place to ride. Us flatlanders got our asses handed to us, the first time we went up there.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #3794
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,153
This is my new to me fixie for getting around in Taipei, came with a helmet, lock and travel bag. I figure it's not bad for $320 Canadian. Sorry about the crappy pic in my hotel room, I'll get a better shot in the days to come.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #3795
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,968
Order going in tomorrow for the Specialized Fatboy Expert.

Have to wait till Feb for delivery though

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: