Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 225 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #4126
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaster View Post

The question is. Is it a waste of time and money to expect a newer/lighter wheelset to be of benefit to me over my current Mavics, speed and climbing ability wise the same way the Mavics appear to me over the ball bearing type wheelset?
Topolino Revelation C19 Carbon Core Wheels

for sale cheap here
Old 12-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #4127
changingground
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Quick question for the collective wisdom of this forum. .....I was 52 seconds slower on my regular 11 mile loop that by now I can do inside of 15 seconds +,- of my best time on any given day. Also, that wheelset is a bit under a pound heavier (2,090 grams) than the Mavics.

The Mavics are also pretty "basic" as far as wheels go these days but I serviced them recently and they roll very well and have stayed true for about 500 miles. There are plenty of new and used clincher aluminum wheelsets under 1,500 grams out on ebay for less than $500 like Giant P-SLR1, ROL Race sl, Vuelta Corsa Race and even used Dura Ace C-24 sets.

The question is. Is it a waste of time and money to expect a newer/lighter wheelset to be of benefit to me over my current Mavics, speed and climbing ability wise the same way the Mavics appear to me over the ball bearing type wheelset?

Mods: If I'm asking the question in the wrong forum please move as needed.
if you're all about the training, why do you care about those 53 seconds? compensate for the slower wheels, and moooove on, right? It's about the engine, not the equipment. .
changingground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #4128
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
I'm not buying his contrition. They could have vetted it from the beginning, made the proper decision & and moved on. This is another example of their strong arm tactics, only this time it backfired. Café Roubaix is a boutique shop, look at their website if there's a question about the shop's legitimacy. Defending their tactics based on counterfeit equipment and saying they're protecting the consumer with these strong arm tactics is crap. This is nothing but damage control, I would have kicked him out of my shop.
You may not know much about corporate counsel and trademark law...
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #4129
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingground View Post
if you're all about the training, why do you care about those 53 seconds? compensate for the slower wheels, and moooove on, right? It's about the engine, not the equipment. .
Yep, I regulary ride with road bikes. Used to be on my 26" Orbea MTB and now on my 29er BH Ultimate.
It all about the training (and some tactics)
I MUCH prefer Mavic wheels, have seen me through some proper epic rides and long distance events as well.
If you do race, train on the heavier wheels and then put the light weight wheels on for the race.
Or just train on them, race on them.
Work out where your weak points (limiters) on your loop are are then concentrate on those limiters to get those secounds back.

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #4130
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,083
Quote:
Wheels/tires are the biggest thing you can change on a bike. The Mavic wheels are pretty nice. I would be careful going too light because you start to trade durability for weight. You could go up in the Mavic line to a SL wheel and still be real durable, but they will have the same bearings and free hub as you have now. Ceramic bearings are supposed to make a pretty good difference.
If you are just training and not racing, there is no good reason to upgrade other than just wanting something nicer (there is nothing wrong with that).
Light weight tires and tube can make a big difference also. Depending on your route, if there is road debris or glass, I would stay with a puncture resistant tire because repairing a flat will add a lot to your time.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #4131
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,905
You'll go faster by losing a couple hundred grams of body weight and the resulting fitness to get there, unless you're already less than 3% body fat. But if you just want to buy shiny new stuff that's fine, because somebody has to keep this economy going.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #4132
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingground View Post
Maybe I did not made my point as clear as I wanted. The 52 seconds was used as reference point for "efficiency". I live in a very rural area and I ride alone 99% of the time. I have 11, 25 and 36 miles loops and I benchmark them "time" wise to see if I am making progress in my training. I also keep track of cadence and heart rate specially in the climbs.

I went from a 12-23T rear cassette to an 11-28 on a front compact to make it easier on my knees and the difference was outstanding. The Mavic set is "faster/more efficient" and I can feel that they also make it easier on my knees as I can keep my cadence up better than the Xero set. If I were to learn that a lighter set of wheels & tires also helps in saving wear and tear on my body I would consider it. But if by "yours" experience the savings are negligible or is all placebo effect I would think that I am at the equipment level that i need to be.

My last decent bike was over 30 years ago and there's a lot to learn on the newer stuff. Thanks for the feedback.

Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #4133
2whlrcr
gooligan

Unless you have exhausted all other variables and are racing for hundreths of a second, a few hundred grams won't make squat of a difference. Now if you have to buy lighter stuff, anything in rotational weight will make the biggest difference. But it doesn't matter if you have the lightest wheels on earth, if you have a wimpy frame, wimpy cranks, poor fit, aerodynamics of a brick, poor technique, etc...

You say you live in a rural area and ride alone. I would highly recommend hooking up with other riders, some kind of group training rides, etc. Here you will be able to gauge your fitness against others and get invaluable insight to all the little subtleties that add up to speed. I would also consider getting a professional bike fit done. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but it's hard to figure this stuff out on your own. If you're just riding for recreation and general well being, it really doesn't matter. If you're riding for speed and competitive about your "times", then you have to step this up to another level if your serious.

You say you're not interested in racing. That may be, but the best way to become faster is to ride and train with racers. Or a very competitive group of "fitness" riders. You will gain all kinds of knowledge and most people are very willing to help you. Even though you don't want to race, a local time trial is good way to measure your fitness against yourself and others. Most small metro areas that support at least a couple of bike shops will have a group of racers or fitness riders who have organized training rides. Hook up with these people. You may have to drive a little to do a once or twice a week ride, but the knowledge and fitness gained will fast track you toward your goals.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #4134
M-Cat
2 wheeled slacker

Oddometer: 334
My stealthy Iron Horse commuter...
[IMG][/IMG]

...and some compact dorkiness
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #4135
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Thanks all for the advice on the wheels and training. I don't do things for "bling". Guess I'm saving my money and concentrate on training, technique and form. Since this is the "show us your bike" thread, here are pics of the bikes..

The Giant OCR 3 (Sold)

Fuji CCR 3

Don't pay attention to the ergos. Pics are right after I got each bike and I had my LBS "fit" me to both bikes soon after buying them.

Rainmaster screwed with this post 12-14-2013 at 02:57 PM
Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #4136
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Unless you have exhausted all other variables and are racing for hundreths of a second, a few hundred grams won't make squat of a difference. Now if you have to buy lighter stuff, anything in rotational weight will make the biggest difference. But it doesn't matter if you have the lightest wheels on earth, if you have a wimpy frame, wimpy cranks, poor fit, aerodynamics of a brick, poor technique, etc...

You say you live in a rural area and ride alone. I would highly recommend hooking up with other riders, some kind of group training rides, etc. Here you will be able to gauge your fitness against others and get invaluable insight to all the little subtleties that add up to speed. I would also consider getting a professional bike fit done. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but it's hard to figure this stuff out on your own. If you're just riding for recreation and general well being, it really doesn't matter. If you're riding for speed and competitive about your "times", then you have to step this up to another level if your serious.

You say you're not interested in racing. That may be, but the best way to become faster is to ride and train with racers. Or a very competitive group of "fitness" riders. You will gain all kinds of knowledge and most people are very willing to help you. Even though you don't want to race, a local time trial is good way to measure your fitness against yourself and others. Most small metro areas that support at least a couple of bike shops will have a group of racers or fitness riders who have organized training rides. Hook up with these people. You may have to drive a little to do a once or twice a week ride, but the knowledge and fitness gained will fast track you toward your goals.
I 2nd this. Most of my riding training is done on my own but towards the competative races, I ride with others as the competition comes out in us. you dont have to do it, dont feel pressured in to doing but it does make a difference

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #4137
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,066
90% of my riding is done on 32/32 Open Pro-style wheels. Not sexy. Not light. Durable. I'm replacing the bearings in one set of wheels for the first time in 2 decades of use. Should've done em sooner, but I really wasn't paying as much attention to em as I should 'cause they just keep working.

Now, if you have some intervals or are trying to keep up with the truly fast guys (every Wed for me) then by all means put on the aero wheels.

My $.02

Having said that: ride what makes you happy. Life's too short. If you shop around, you can find screaming deals on aero wheels right now.

M
Old 12-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #4138
2whlrcr
gooligan

I'm old enough we would train on our standard 36 spoke wheels and put on the 32 spoke wheels for the races. And aero meant tucking in your jersey.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #4139
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,445
Hoping to tap into the colective wisdom here as I'm building a set of wheels for my cross bike and the last thing I need right now is a new forum to get addicted to. Wall of text to follow.

Info on me: BMX background and I ride dualsport motorcycles (duh). I make a portion of my living teaching self defense/martial arts so I'm in decent shape... but I still tip the scales at 200 pounds naked (sry no pics).

When I started building this bike I was riding a lot in town and the local trails were smooth. Now I'm rural and thinking my bike may be to wimpy for the local trails 98% of which would be more than fine on a hard tail but still rougher than where I was. There are some road bike races I'd be interested in doing around here too so if the frame and fork aren't going to work with my frame off road then I'll take it easy on the trails until I can buy the mountain bike I've beem wanting anyway.

Frame and fork: Salsa Las Cruces frame and Nashbar carbon fork.

Rim budget: I'd like to keep it under $150 for the pair but I can spend a little more if there's a definitive answer for just $100 more. But I still need to buy other stuff to get this thing rolling so preferably not.

I have a set of 32 spoke Chris King hubs I picked up out of a racers spare parts bin for next to nothing. They may need bearing in the next year or so but will suffice for now.

For rims I'm looking at the Mavic Open Pro (435 grams), Velocity a23 (425 grams) , and the Mavic 119 (540 grams).

I'm leaning towards taking the nearly half pound weight penalty for the more durable touring rims.

Question time.
Am I underestimating the strength of the bike? It sure feels like nothing. But then again I've sparred some really talented Philipino women... and they had it in spades.

Will I destroy the lighter the rims?

Or am I missing something strong and light rim wise? Or something similiar in weight/strength but more aerodynamic?

veriest1 screwed with this post 12-15-2013 at 12:08 PM
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #4140
2whlrcr
gooligan

I can give you my .2 cents worth and you can decide if it's worth less or more than that.

I've got a Trek Crocket cross that bike that I race cross with. I bought an extra set of Stan's Alpha wheels to have a lighter set of race wheels. The rims are 340 grams and I believe Stan's puts a conservative rider weight limit of 190lbs? on this wheel set. When I bought them I specifically told them I was racing cross and they said no problemo. I weigh 170lbs. I raced the bike about 6 times this fall and had no issues.

Based on your weight, Stan's would recommend their slightly heavier rim at 400 grams, which I believe is rated to 250lbs. So based in that info, I'd say any quality rim in the 400 gram range would be fine. Now that's based on normal cross conditions and road riding. If you start treating it like a mountain bike, who knows? I can't remember, but I think their wheels are a 32 or 28 spoke count rim too, not some ridiculously low spoke count. Plus the width and larger air volume of cross tires helps absorb the shock and protect the rims.

I don't see how aero would be of any benefit under actual cross conditions, because the average speeds are pretty low. And for around here cross courses are relatively smooth and non technical, compared to mountain bike trails or dirt bike trails.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: