Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 190 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 AM   #4426
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
Tell me about it, I spent a whopping $1,400.00 on a bike last year and my wife gave me shit for it for months.
That's nothing! I was in Astoria this fall while riding down the coast. They were kindly letting my friend use a work stand so she could change her brake pads. There was a family wandering around, three generations. The grandpa and his son were wearing leathers and their Harley's were parked out front. Grandpa remarks how a 3-speed cost $50 back in his day, and now the one in front of him was $400!

I wonder how much a Harley cost in the '50's and what do they cost now? I think it's called inflation.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #4427
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
Tell me about it, I spent a whopping $1,400.00 on a bike last year and my wife gave me shit for it for months.
This is one reason I don't buy complete bikes....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #4428
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,979
Who cares what it costs when it looks/performs like these.. Yep still saving little by little. If you're curious I'm working on a 953 Four Seasons.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #4429
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Who cares what it costs when it looks/performs like these.. Yep still saving little by little. If you're curious I'm working on a 953 Four Seasons.
My three-year-old bike gets me down the road fairly well - how would buying the best equipment available benefit me?
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #4430
Lil Earle
Sweatin, not scared

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
My three-year-old bike gets me down the road fairly well - how would buying the best equipment available benefit me?
The difference between feeling just tired and feeling like you had been hit by a truck after a 600k brevet. If you have one that fits, good for you. I had to have one made to fit me. Thanks alot Mom and Dad.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #4431
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Earle View Post
The difference between feeling just tired and feeling like you had been hit by a truck after a 600k brevet. If you have one that fits, good for you. I had to have one made to fit me. Thanks alot Mom and Dad.
Say, what's your RUSA number anyway?
Old 01-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #4432
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,979
Quote:
It's the fit only available from an experienced custom builder. I've always wanted one and I'm getting old so it's truly now or never.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #4433
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Say, what's your RUSA number anyway?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #4434
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
It's the fit only available from an experienced custom builder. I've always wanted one and I'm getting old so it's truly now or never.
Good on you! Congrats! I was differentiating more between equipment i.e. bolt-ons than the frame itself.

Frankly, I see a golf comparison here - guys who spend thousands on clubs but can't perform the fundamentals of golf. Club fit in golf is as important as frame fit is in cycling.

I get lost in all the components and other add-ons. Those do seem to a diminishing point of return at least for me since I'm more endurance than speed. I guess there's a reason for that lack of a clear payback and all the money poured into the bike won't help you when you're at mile 190, it's been raining all day, it's cold & dark and you still have 60 miles to go to an overnight control.

k7 screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 01:10 PM
Old 01-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #4435
Lil Earle
Sweatin, not scared

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
All the bikes I have ever owned have been a compromise. After spending all the money on bits and pieces trying to make one fit, it was cheaper to have one built to fit and then putting all the stuff I wanted on it. Spend some time with your builder and talk what components you plan on using so he will know what to expect. I threw a few curves at mine, but he was able to make adjustments. One thing that comes to mind was he had the rear dropouts spaced for a road wheel and the wheels I bought had mountian bike spacing which is wider. I don't know much about it. Thats why I payed him to build it. Thats why I would have all the components picked out if not on hand before he cuts the first piece of metal. It will save money and time in the long run.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #4436
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Earle View Post
All the bikes I have ever owned have been a compromise. After spending all the money on bits and pieces trying to make one fit, it was cheaper to have one built to fit and then putting all the stuff I wanted on it. Spend some time with your builder and talk what components you plan on using so he will know what to expect. I threw a few curves at mine, but he was able to make adjustments. One thing that comes to mind was he had the rear dropouts spaced for a road wheel and the wheels I bought had mountian bike spacing which is wider. I don't know much about it. Thats why I payed him to build it. Thats why I would have all the components picked out if not on hand before he cuts the first piece of metal. It will save money and time in the long run.
Lets just say Anderson (anotherguy's builder of lust) is a little bit experienced when it comes to frame construction.....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #4437
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,081
Last year I posted some pics of the Mongoose Expert Pro cruiser I bought and fixed up.

I'd wanted a cruiser BMX for a while. Sadly, I really don't ride it. And my son has outgrown his mini BMX. I had hoped to transition him to the 24" 'Goose. He's tall enough to ride it, but refuses to do so! Eventually he came forward and told me that he hates the chrome. Kids these days! They are used to cheaply painted bikes, can't appreciate the chrome!

I'm contemplating selling it and just buying him a regular sized BMX bike. I don't think he'll ever be interested in racing. And I refuse to paint the 'Goose like he requested!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #4438
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
^^^ I don't know the value of those things, but, people collect 'em.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #4439
vmcrcr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
^^^ I don't know the value of those things, but, people collect 'em.

Yep.
www.ratrodbikes.com
They also have some neat custom work there as well.
Rode a chrome 20" Mongoose back in the day (early 80's), still love the look.

Southern NH, DR350S, multiple bicycles.....
Thoughts? Suggestions? Jokes?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #4440
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post

I'm contemplating selling it and just buying him a regular sized BMX bike. I don't think he'll ever be interested in racing. And I refuse to paint the 'Goose like he requested!

Damn kids!

Yeah, don't paint it man, and being an almost complete original mid '90's (93-96) it isn't worth much, maybe $200 - $250? Now if it was a complete early '80's with pro class wheels, and blah, blah, blah, you'd have something worth a few bucks.

Cool bike though, if you don't get any offers and willing to ship, hit me up via PM, maybe we can work something out.

But, I'll lowball your ass off.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: