Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 223 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #691
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmike View Post
Just built myself a new randonneur bike. Columbus Zona tubing, Geekhouse fork, mishmash of 10 spd components and Paul Racer M brakes. Super comfy! Here's a coule of crappy cell phone pics.

I like the badge.

Did you build the frame?
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 AM   #692
GaryHarris
I bent my Flounder

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Noice. Why the platform pedals instead of clipless?
I don't like clipless. Theres a lot of roots where I ride and I have to dab my feet a lot.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #693
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHarris View Post
I don't like clipless. Theres a lot of roots where I ride and I have to dab my feet a lot.
No comment.

M
Old 06-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #694
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:
Not sure if you know this but some suspension front and rear would help with crossing roots and other trail nasties. 29" wheels would also help with that. Running tubeless and low pressure would help with that too.

If I were you I would at least throw a 29" wheel in that suspension corrected fork you have there. It will improve the ride a lot.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #695
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
No comment.

M
Roots on the way to Starbucks?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #696
GaryHarris
I bent my Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Not sure if you know this but some suspension front and rear would help with crossing roots and other trail nasties. 29" wheels would also help with that. Running tubeless and low pressure would help with that too.

If I were you I would at least throw a 29" wheel in that suspension corrected fork you have there. It will improve the ride a lot.
Running tubeless and low pressure can get ya some pinch flats.

Ive had the full boingers and about everyother configuration of MTBs since 94.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #697
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
You have my curiosity peaked with this one.

Might want to expand on this in the other thread so as not to sideline the bike photos.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #698
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:

Ive had the full boingers and about everyother configuration of MTBs since 94.

Really? How can you pinch flat if there is no tube to pinch?
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #699
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,315
My new-to-me Gary Fisher Opie. The last bike I had was a '95 Cannondale F500. They've come a long way since then. The guy I bought it from says he's set it up like this:

"built it up for serious ALL MOUNTAIN/XC/FREERIDE I put a Marzochii DJ2 20mm. thru axle 130mm of travel, Sun Big Fat Mamoth front rim, Sun Rhyno-lite rear wheel with XT hub, XT 9 sp casette, XT rear der. Deore front der. Sram Attack 9sp. grip shifters, Avid BB7 disc brakes with Avid SD7 levers and LX cranks"

All I know is it rides nicely, has disc brakes and is black. I plan to use it around town (when we move to Beantown later this summer) and the occasional trail here and there.

It's a 2009.

winterhk screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 12:20 PM
winterhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #700
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Roots on the way to Starbucks?
I take great pride in my whale foreskin suit!

M
Old 06-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #701
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
So as a mountain biker turned rodie Im looking for some input on training. I never used to care about mileage, it was just about getting out and riding trails.
With the new road bike Im collecting data on my rides and kind of keeping score on progress. I was thinking with the amount it rains here (the most rained on town in Canada (probably North America)) Ill ride when its not pissing and hit the gym when it is.
Is 250 miles a month a reasonable amount to get anywhere with this rodie thing? I set a goal of 1500 km for the summer.
Thoughs?
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #702
GaryHarris
I bent my Flounder

To answer the pinch flat question, It's been done with tubeless I hear, but I have never actually seen it and I have never ran without tubes, so I should re-tract my statement about pinch flats since I have never had a flat on the trails in 17 years. But I run a little higher tire pressure than some and adjust my riding style to that. Where I ride is a mixture on hard packed clay, soft sand and a shitload of diagonal roots.

I don't know who this is and I couldn't find a better vid of the Anthills in Houston, but this is the easier sections. Please stay to the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEEenGWyvYg

If you watch that video, you will see why at 53 years old I choose to ride with flats rather than clipless peddles. One bobble and if my old ass can't get unclipped in time, I could drop 15' straight onto a log in the bayou, get knocked and get ate by an alligator.

"But, you lose power not using clipless peddles"!

"Suspension helps in the rough stuff"!

In a way, that's true. But another angle say's you can go OTB when your fork compresses and your axle to crown dimension is reduced and throws your weight bias towards the front! And that can get ugly when the bike is mechanically attached to your feet.

In a nano second I could endo at 53 years old off a diagonal root, drop 15' into a shithole and get ate by a alligator. Not on my TDL!

I wonder about yall! Are yall trolls? Why do you care what tire pressure I run and what peddles I use, and the Starbucks and Whale foreskin thing?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #703
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
To answer the pinch flat question, It's been done with tubeless I hear, but I have never actually seen it and I have never ran without tubes, so I should re-tract my statement about pinch flats since I have never had a flat on the trails in 17 years. But I run a little higher tire pressure than some and adjust my riding style to that. Where I ride is a mixture on hard packed clay, soft sand and a shitload of diagonal roots.

I don't know who this is and I couldn't find a better vid of the Anthills in Houston, but this is the easier sections. Please stay to the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEEenGWyvYg

If you watch that video, you will see why at 53 years old I choose to ride with flats rather than clipless peddles. One bobble and if my old ass can't get unclipped in time, I could drop 15' straight onto a log in the bayou, get knocked and get ate by an alligator.

"But, you lose power not using clipless peddles"!

"Suspension helps in the rough stuff"!

In a way, that's true. But another angle say's you can go OTB when your fork compresses and your axle to crown dimension is reduced and throws your weight bias towards the front! And that can get ugly when the bike is mechanically attached to your feet.

In a nano second I could endo at 53 years old off a diagonal root, drop 15' into a shithole and get ate by a alligator. Not on my TDL!

I wonder about yall! Are yall trolls? Why do you care what tire pressure I run and what peddles I use, and the Starbucks and Whale foreskin thing?
Doode most of the serious trail riders in Whistler run flats. I sure as hell do (did). if you're going to ride any serious technical trails flats are the way to go as far as I'm concerned, and I've done both.

my two cents
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #704
djb_rh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Flats versus clipless is a timeless debate and mostly personal preference.

HOWEVER, it is a fact that you can be more efficient by being able to use more DIFFERENT muscles if you ride clipless. It is also a fact that you can do things clipless (particularly while climbing) that you simply can NOT do with platforms. It is also a fact that you can get off the platforms slightly more quickly than you can get out of clipless, but I've ridden some hairy places clipless and I can say that without a doubt I feel completely comfortable that I can get out of the pedals quickly enough that THAT is never going to make a crash any worse than it was going to be anyway. The only times I've failed to unclip were crashes where I was down so fast that I never had a chance to try, and in those cases it's just a nuisance that you're sort of "stuck" to the bike on your side.

There are plenty of riders that do amazing things both clipped and unclipped, but I'd point out that even the current generation of BMX racers are starting to move to clipless, which is something people said would NEVER happen. I think it's also telling that you just don't find any significant amount of XC racers riding platforms.

That said, I did find a use for platforms...shared bike races where one person runs, one person rides, and you swap several times (like the Muddy Buddy). But even then we added a set of Power Grips (a single large strap) to a set of old school huge BMX platforms. Then it was easy to pedal with my size 14 feet in some big burly trail running shoes, and we still got a lot of the efficiencies of being semi-clipped. I think that's the way to go on trail duathlons, too, to avoid wasting time in transition.

But in the end, if you love platforms and fear clipless, well, riding platforms is better than not riding. ;)

As for posting bikes, I'll just go with the latest addition to the ever-growing herd:

Santa Cruz Highball XL frame, 120mm Fox fork, Enve Composites wheels, Maxxis Ikon 29" tires (setup tubeless, and you can NOT pinch flat a tubeless...they burp out the sidewall if they are too low in pressure and just go flat from that, but they are not damaged generally), SRM powermeter cranks (embedded in K-Force Lights), 1x10 drivetrain with X0 cassette/derailleur/shifter, etc. 22.3 pounds.

--Donnie
Old 06-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #705
GaryHarris
I bent my Flounder

There's a school of thought that believes using clipless peddles increases power is a myth. For MTB's, I have to agree to an extent. If you know how to peddle in a circle and know how to pull up on good flats like the Wellgo MG1's, the upstroke is near negligible. At least for a casual rider going to Starbucks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: