Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
there's only about a gazillion steel steeds around

http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/

http://www.2011.handmadebicycleshow.com/
I should have rephrased that. Where did all the $400-$1,500 steel frame mountain bikes go? There isn't a dealer with 100 miles of me that carrys anything like that.

It doesn't matter anyway. I have the perfect bike and will never replace it. That's probably why I don't pay any attention to dealer stock anymore.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #857
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico View Post
Nice ride. In '94 i bought a baracuda with the teardrop top tube and all XT. Lots of dough back then. The componontes are lingering around still on various bikes. The richey pedals are still working great after many thousands on miles. My new bike is a yeti with the new XTR, and it isnt as durable. I already broke some crank bros pedals, my dt swiss 240 wheels are noisy and ive gone through a rear derailleur. I never had any problems with the old xt. I think they're right when they say they don't make stuff like they used to......good on ya to keep that bike alive.
Thanks. That Baracuda is a sweet ride as well. I think mine was nearlly $1,700 at the time.

As delivered, mine was equipt with one of two brands: It was either Bontrager or Shimano XT. Nothing else. Since then I've gone through a few seats, some rims, and a mountain of cable and pads but it's still running like a thief. With good maintenace some of this stuff will last forever.

It is a lot of fun though to look down and see the bottom bracket swaying side to side about 1' when pedalling out of the saddle lol! At least I can do 100 miles on it without it killing me like a hardtail AL bike would.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:06 AM   #858
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy One View Post

It is a lot of fun though to look down and see the bottom bracket swaying side to side about 1' when pedalling out of the saddle lol! At least I can do 100 miles on it without it killing me like a hardtail AL bike would.
That's exactly why steel is a metal I cannot use to ride with. At my peak I could flex a bike so bad the rear wheel would rub the chainstays when out-of-the-saddle hammering.

Big as I am, it's aluminum or nothing for me. And has been for a long while. 16 years ago it was because I had 26" thighs. Now it's because I'm a fat bastard.
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #859
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
oye!

Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #860
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,096
Quote:
I won't ride aluminum and can't afford Ti. It's sad to see steel bikes becoming so rare these days. People are really missing out on some great rides IMO. Steel is real!
AL is all in how you design the tubes. I've had a couple of very soft-riding AL bikes in my lifetime. One actually rode better than my Bontrager Road Lite! Sold the Road Lite and kept the AL bike.

So, saying 'I won't ride AL' is like saying I won't drive a blue car.

The AL frame I have now is pretty friggen nice considering its sub $200. The one right before it was too AND rode nicer but the seatpost kept slipping and it drove me nuts.

M
edited to add: in EUR they think AL is flexy cause they all had Vituses and Alans. Over here we think AL is harsh and stiff cause we had Cannondale and Klein. Go figger
Old 08-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #861
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
AL is all in how you design the tubes. I've had a couple of very soft-riding AL bikes in my lifetime. One actually rode better than my Bontrager Road Lite! Sold the Road Lite and kept the AL bike.

The AL frame I have now is pretty friggen nice considering its sub $200. The one right before it was too AND rode nicer but the seatpost kept slipping and it drove me nuts.

M
edited to add: in EUR they think AL is flexy cause they all had Vituses and Alans. Over here we think AL is harsh and stiff cause we had Cannondale and Klein. Go figger

And GT. Those Zaskar frames were friggin stout. Sad that 2 of those 3 are now made in China.
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #862
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,524
Quote:

I won't ride aluminum and can't afford Ti. It's sad to see steel bikes becoming so rare these days. People are really missing out on some great rides IMO. Steel is real!

Have had some good to great steel frames in the last 20 years.

That said, my Ridley aluminum CX frame is excellent.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #863
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Here I am last week on the city wall in Feng Huang, Hunan Province.

Bike is a CNY model of Dahon called a Dragon D7. I took a folder on this trip so that I would be able to take it on the trains
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #864
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
For reals.

Materials matter, but geometry and tube diameter are critical.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:37 AM   #865
Mr. J
Banned

for me, i need to reduce my carbon footprint

(not my bikes - but there's a ton of folks making these one-offs)

all the grace of a flintstone-mobile.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #866
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,524
road-

CX-
Old 08-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #867
Mr. J
Banned

handmade bikes

http://www.bikeforest.com/homebuild28.php

Old 08-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #868
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
for me, i need to reduce my carbon footprint

(not my bikes - but there's a ton of folks making these one-offs)

all the grace of a flintstone-mobile.

I am sorry, but I have a bone to pick about those bamboo bikes. They have a much larger carbon footprint than any metal bike. The carbon/kevlar that they are made with is not recyclable and will not decompose. That shit is permanent. Those bikes are the opposite of green. The bamboo will break down and the bike will have to be scrapped after a short time compared to all the 30+ year old steel bikes I still see in use and once they are done being used they are 100% recyclable.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #869
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,578
What he said.

When I saw the writeup in Bicycling, I LOL'd my off, because I absolutely know that the carbon fiber and the resin are more dangerous to the environment and people than the steel.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:42 AM   #870
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
I am sorry, but I have a bone to pick about those bamboo bikes. They have a much larger carbon footprint than any metal bike. The carbon/kevlar that they are made with is not recyclable and will not decompose. That shit is permanent. Those bikes are the opposite of green. The bamboo will break down and the bike will have to be scrapped after a short time compared to all the 30+ year old steel bikes I still see in use and once they are done being used they are 100% recyclable.
Same thing with hybrid automobiles and their battery packs versus a plain gasoline/diesel powered vehicle.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: