Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,208
Question Garage door opener, can I updated to a Keypad..!?

I have been force to move most of my bicycles (way to many) to the garage and I'm very worry about the electric door safety, so I'm looking for way to make it more secure, install a keypad I think it will be a first step, getting cameras, alarms and even a gate are in the list too..

Thanks for the help in advance
Old 06-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,740
Normal garage keypads are just another rolling code remote. Hit four numbers, then hit enter and it sends the open signal. They have a battery and need to be recognized by the opener unit. Nothing especially secure about them, other than the code.

Unless you are talking about a wired alarm / security system...
Old 06-26-2014, 11:30 PM   #3
HighAlpineDrifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 24,418
Haz u a cheezeburger?
Old 06-26-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
vfxdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
If the door itself is reasonably robust, and you don't need frequent access from outside, just depower the opener.
Pretty much all of them lock up then and the door can't be easily forced open, and certainly can't be code hacked.
vfxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:18 AM   #5
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAlpineDrifter View Post
Haz u a cheezeburger?
LOL - ouch!
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:31 AM   #6
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxdog View Post
If the door itself is reasonably robust, and you don't need frequent access from outside, just depower the opener.
Pretty much all of them lock up then and the door can't be easily forced open, and certainly can't be code hacked.
I do this when I go out of town. Unplug the opener and put two C clamps on the door roller tracks.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #7
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I do this when I go out of town. Unplug the opener and put two C clamps on the door roller tracks.
Good idea. Or latch your garage door with a good lock from the inside, so in case someone brakes into your house they wont be able to open it from the inside.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #8
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

If I can recommend something;

Is this a remote garage? If so, how far from your house? You could easily setup a door sensor that's "wifi" enabled. It would signal your house if the door was open, and you can do triggers with it, and alarms, and etc.... Interested? The total cost of setup is about $150, with a PC that's always on.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Sorry, lets clarified I'm looking for maximum safety since I have read the frequencies on the garage door openers can be hack easily..

I have some very valuable bikes that I don't want to get stolen, I guess I can lock them up one by one or all together, but it will be a pain to do since they will be about 20 bikes to lock plus very expensive too..

I also plan in building a metal gate inside the garage and also use strips of thick plastic like they do on factories, stores to diminish the exposure, plus so far the plan is to keep the door as close as possible and get the bikes out from the main door of the house, will see on that one..
Old 06-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

I guess I was not clear, securing something physically is not enough. If you are really worried about loosing your stuff then you need to do couple things:
deterrence, physical prevention, monitoring, alerting, auditing, and intervention.

Your garage door can be physically latched, but that does not stop anybody from breaking into your house, and opening the garage from the inside. Having a door sensor or motion sensor to alert you is another layer of security.

A simple door latch would work better than hacking up any other zombie barriers you may see in your head. Add motion sensors, and door sensors, and now you have some level of comfort. Add cameras, and recording, and now you can keep an eye on the inventory. Get a Rottweiler, and now you have deterrence.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #11
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
I guess I was not clear, securing something physically is not enough. If you are really worried about loosing your stuff then you need to do couple things:
deterrence, physical prevention, monitoring, alerting, auditing, and intervention.

Your garage door can be physically latched, but that does not stop anybody from breaking into your house, and opening the garage from the inside. Having a door sensor or motion sensor to alert you is another layer of security.

A simple door latch would work better than hacking up any other zombie barriers you may see in your head. Add motion sensors, and door sensors, and now you have some level of comfort. Add cameras, and recording, and now you can keep an eye on the inventory. Get a Rottweiler, and now you have deterrence.
Thanks senor, all in the plan, the dogs we have the rest we need to get..
Old 06-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
This.

It is pretty easy to kick in the bottom of many rolling door panels and have the roller disengage from the door and the track. It happened when the pavers were paving my driveway and the door was down a little and one hit the door with the top of the paving compactor/roller.

So I would put the c-clamp on the bottom roller and the track, locking them both together, otherwise you can kick in that bottom panel and push it far enough in that you can get a person under the door.

That said, unless you have an unconventional roll up door made for security, if someone wants in they can get in. This is especially true if you have a man door and/or any windows.

Cover the windows with security film - make it reflective so they can't see in. The film makes it much harder to break the glass. Take steps so they can't pry the glass out of the track.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,880
Quote:

Is this a remote garage? If so, how far from your house? You could easily setup a door sensor that's "wifi" enabled. It would signal your house if the door was open, and you can do triggers with it, and alarms, and etc.... Interested?
Yes.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

I'm so glad I made this inquire such great information, tips, etc, thanks for sharing..
Old 06-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
If I can recommend something;

Is this a remote garage? If so, how far from your house?
The garage is part of the house and the door is pretty well made and heavy

In fact our room is right behind but sadly the walls are really thick so you can not ear when the door opens
Quote:

You could easily setup a door sensor that's "wifi" enabled. It would signal your house if the door was open, and you can do triggers with it, and alarms, and etc.... Interested? The total cost of setup is about $150, with a PC that's always on.
Sure I'm interested any links..!?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: