User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Honda Pilot Check Engine Light

Looking for info from people that know about this by either ownership or mechanics.
This is for a 2005 Honda Pilot

I'm getting a 420 code (does that mean I need to move to Colorado?)

Anyway it's the code for catalytic converters.

I'm hoping it's the oxygen sensors & not replacing the actual cats.

Anybody have any experience with this? Cause see I a ton of Pilots on the road, since I bought mine used 5 months ago.
It has 133k on it.
Any info would be appreciated.
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Gander
Newly minted n00b

Oddometer: 994
Sorry to hear about your issue. The code is for the downstream sensor and, from what I read, you have a catalytic converter issue. Sadly, emissions warranty only covers eight years. I hope I'm wrong but go over to the Honda Piloteers Forum and read up on the issue.

I know it sucks but you have relatively low milage and years of use left in that vehicle. I see tons of older Pilots on the roads here, met one guy who had 220k on his and had only replaced the ignition switch.

Edit: I have a 2012 Pilot.
Gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,689
Ton of info out there on this fault. 90% likely a BS nuisance fault. Anything from bad gas, high ethanol gas, failing o2 sensor, all the way to cat going bad. Dealers love it as they can charge an arm and a leg to fix it as they'll start with most expensive thing first. Buy a cheap scanner at harbor freight and reset it yourself. Try sticking to high quality gas for a few tanks and see if it comes back.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,156
Are you sure your catalytic converter wasn't stolen by tweakers?
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Ton of info out there on this fault. 90% likely a BS nuisance fault. Anything from bad gas, high ethanol gas, failing o2 sensor, all the way to cat going bad. Dealers love it as they can charge an arm and a leg to fix it as they'll start with most expensive thing first. Buy a cheap scanner at harbor freight and reset it yourself. Try sticking to high quality gas for a few tanks and see if it comes back.
+1
A tank of bad gasoline can cause that exact code to trigger. (I speak from experience on other cars, I dont own a Pilot)
Buy your next gas at a high volume/popular place where the gasoline isn't stale. Clear the codes with a cheap code reader and see if it comes back.
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:49 AM   #6
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hmmm

Another thing I failed to mention is that the check engine light has come on & then gone off within a day or so.
This is the 3rd time it's come on, I'll say in the last 3 weeks.
My tank is low now. After work I'll fill it with Super and see if that works.

I see sensors range in price from $55 to $125.
I plan to drive to Atlanta for Turkey Week with familia & I don't want to have any issues.

I do have an appointment with my local mechanic set for Monday. Just not sure what to do? Take it to him and have him investigate more, if he can.
Fcuking stupid code is so generic.
They're are 4 sensors and 3 cats. WTF

Oh and thanks for the info guys - ADV rules again!
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
Old 11-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #7
Gander
Newly minted n00b

Oddometer: 994
If you stop at an Auto-Zone they'll read and reset your code for you if you ask them too. As long as your gas milage seems okay I'd just drive it. Perhaps run some Seafoam through it and blow out the engine with some spirited driving.
Gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #8
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
You can get a $15 OBD2 Bluetooth adapter from Amazon and a free app called Torque (I'm sure there are others as well) that will let you see the sensor outputs in real time rather than just getting the static error code. Do that, take some screen shots of the upstream and downstream O2 sensor traces under a variety of conditions, and post them here for the experts to interpret. It worked for me!
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #9
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

U guys rock!

Old 11-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #10
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
Hmmm

My tank is low now. After work I'll fill it with Super.....
It's not getting high octane, it's getting quality gas. Avoid the discount gas stores. Stick with a busy shell or bp. A couple fill ups in a row at speedway will cause my car to throw that code. If you can find ethanol free gas, use it.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:07 AM   #11
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
You can get a $15 OBD2 Bluetooth adapter from Amazon and a free app called Torque ......
I use one of those and the free version of the Torque app.

Dont bother buying "super' gas. that will do nothing, I'll say it again, what you want is good quality, fresh gasoline from a place that has a lot of traffic, thus the gas in the tanks below ground isn't old.
My wifes Miata will throw codes if/when she buys crappy gasoline, and it takes a long time for the code to go away. Typically on cars, if the problem that threw the 'check engine" light is fixed, it takes approx 30 ignition on/off cycles before the car will clear the code by itself. I say this so if/when you guy good gas, the code will NOT immediately go away.
I also suggest googling to find where the diagnostics port is on your honda pilot. (I just found it by googling ... honda pilot diagnostics port )

code readers....
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=15707381

One last thing, you can drive the car, it wont hurt it, just dont freak and start throwing money at the problem where the solution may be really as simple as crappy gasoline. If your mileage is suddenly a lot worse, then yes, its something other than just bad gasoline, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it at all.
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #12
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

BillsR

Thanks - I'm ordering one today. I will try the seafoam though.

And I usually get gas at high volume places & never the same place. I use about 3 or 4 in one area.

Cheers everyone who posted.

Enjoy the weekend
Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #13
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
BillsR

Thanks - I'm ordering one today. I will try the seafoam though.

And I usually get gas at high volume places & never the same place. I use about 3 or 4 in one area.

Cheers everyone who posted.

Enjoy the weekend
Seafoam.........is naphtha, alcohol and oil ..........another waste of money. So if you look for non ethanol gas and then add Seafoam you just wasted money and time twice

As mentioned a knowledgeable skill technician can read the downstream O2 sensor data stream. If the CAT is bad there will high levels of oxygen after the CAT. Using a voltmeter carefully back probe on the down stream O2 signal wire you would be looking for slight varying .5 volt value..........if you see .1 to .8 volts rolling values the CAT is bad. This same O2 voltage is what is found on the scan tool data stream. Testing would be done at 2000-2500 rpm. You would be checking both bank 1 and bank 2.

There is more to getting this right than just reading codes. As you mentioned there are multiple sensors and CATS............and multiple reasons for the same error code.........that's where those tech skills come in to play.

Fuel quality can be an issue in these codes. 420 is the rear bank, 430 is front bank. If you clear the codes and drive at 45-70 mph for 15 minutes the system will recheck the CAT operation. Just like you said the light is coming on no off so it is border line. It still can be just the down stream O2 sensor being wonky but your not getting those error codes.

showkey screwed with this post 11-07-2014 at 07:31 AM
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
Seafoam.........is naphtha, alcohol and oil ..........another waste of money. So if you look for non ethanol gas and then add Seafoam you just wasted money and time twice

As mentioned a knowledgeable skill technician can read the downstream O2 sensor data stream. If the CAT is bad there will high levels of oxygen after the CAT.
Gotcha

Should I try fuel injector cleaning?

J/k

IDK what to do?

I just don't want to get a hefty bill from my mechanic if it's nothing but a bad sensor, that I can change.

And if the cats were bad I would be getting a smell, correct? Or is that too old school?

Where's my SuperHawk that I can fix, with relative ease? Or my 1981 Subaru DL that only had an alternator belt & nothing more.

Damn technology - the Fcuking Pilot has 3 cats
Old 11-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #15
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,398
If it needs a cat, a muffler shop should be able to install one for about $300.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: