Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Chillis OP
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,925
Chevy Spark or other micro cars

I rented a Spark while my FJ Cruiser was getting some service work done and at 33,000 rental miles the thing wasn't half bad. I actually had a blast driving it. The tires were noisey and bumps would make them sound like an over inflated basketball being being bounced. Also, the CVT was unrefined and notchy in operation; no doubt due to the beating it has taken at the hands of the rental thrashers. Cruising at 70mph the thing was pulling 41 mpg and in the city I was averaging 37mpg.

The best part was its maneuverability and zippy feel. Felt like a scooter with four wheels.

When I brought it home and put it in the garage there was so much space. I could have parked the Spark and my Yamaha Smax side by side in one space.

In comparison, I strongly disliked driving the Mini Cooper S(later turbo model), Fiat Abarth and regular 500.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #2
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
funny, i had this conversation with a freind. neither of us liked the Mini all that much nor the Fiat 500 (though i haven't driven the Abarth).

he got a Spark rental while his Audi was in the shop... said it was a blast around town. enough fun that he bought one with a 5spd for a commuter...
Old 01-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 551
How come you did not like the abarth 500?
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
Bun-bun
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Always been a small car junkie, have to have at least one in the driveway.
Fiat spider, Dodge Colt Vista, Toyota Tercel, Toyota Echo. Love the Echo, it's a zingy little thing if you push it a bit, gets low to mid thirties for mpg, parts are cheap, and it doesn't need them often. Test drove a Yaris 3 door last month, and I'm seriously considering an upgrade. It's amazing what you can get in fit and finish, and amenities in a sub $20k car.
1985 Honda XL600R - sold
Bun-bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
Chillis OP
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
How come you did not like the abarth 500?
It felt very small and the backseat was very cramped(not as much usable space for putting my 5 month old daughter in her car seat in the Fiat).

The Spark feels large inside while feeling tiny/darty outside. Believe it or not, being adequately powered in the Spark for city work and level highway cruising, it felt capable and relaxed at the same time.

The overall package was more than the sum of its parts. Infotainment and motorcycle like gauge cluster was nice too.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:47 AM   #6
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
I had a Yaris that I installed a turbo in. At 10 psi it would spin the tires deep into third gear. 0-60 went from 10 seconds stock to sub 6 seconds with the turbo. It was impossible to get it to hook up in first and second even with 8" wide JSpeeds wrapped in Dunlop Direzzas. The 50-90mph acceleration was just fucking ridiculous.

A 3 door Yaris weighs about the same as a second generation Miata.

A 230hp at the wheels Yaris is the ultimate sleeper.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:31 AM   #7
billyvray
Procrastinator

Oddometer: 121
Dude, pics? I would love to see more of this. How would this affect emissions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
I had a Yaris that I installed a turbo in. At 10 psi it would spin the tires deep into third gear. 0-60 went from 10 seconds stock to sub 6 seconds with the turbo. It was impossible to get it to hook up in first and second even with 8" wide JSpeeds wrapped in Dunlop Direzzas. The 50-90mph acceleration was just fucking ridiculous.

A 3 door Yaris weighs about the same as a second generation Miata.

A 230hp at the wheels Yaris is the ultimate sleeper.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:40 AM   #8
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 636
I've always driven small cars and had a 1985 Honda CR-X back in the day that I absolutley loved! Have had a couple of Echos over the years (amongst others such as Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Hyundai) and and am on my 2nd Yaris ... ya can't go wrong with Toyota IMHO.

Would love to see pics of that souped-up turbo Yaris!
Old 01-10-2015, 06:26 AM   #9
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyvray View Post
Dude, pics? I would love to see more of this. How would this affect emissions?
Vermont doesn't test. Even if they did, I used an AEM FIM to control the fuel and timing. Dialed back to 7-8psi with the external boost controller and leaned out a little, it would have been close to stock emissions. And still had Abarth horsepower while weighing hundreds of pounds less.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #10
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 3,125
I am a small car lover also, very convenient (easy to park, fits in garage, nimble for accident avoidance etc etc)

The modern globalization of car manufacturing amazes me, it's hard these days to know what your really buying.

Here is a Chevy Spark.

Here is a Daewoo Mantiz
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:52 AM   #11
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,941
Yarispower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-bun View Post
Always been a small car junkie, have to have at least one in the driveway.
Fiat spider, Dodge Colt Vista, Toyota Tercel, Toyota Echo. Love the Echo, it's a zingy little thing if you push it a bit, gets low to mid thirties for mpg, parts are cheap, and it doesn't need them often. Test drove a Yaris 3 door last month, and I'm seriously considering an upgrade. It's amazing what you can get in fit and finish, and amenities in a sub $20k car.
Ive owned Mini Cooper S, and went from that problem-child to a 2011 Yaris 3dr. automatic...The cheapest Toyota vehicle available is also one of the best cars Ive ever owned.....high '30's on regular, zero breakdowns, or maintenance (oil changes notwithstanding) for 40,000 miles thus far. Factory Bridgestones mounted on drag specialties wheels still look new, and the TRD cat-back exhaust give it a growl it really can't stand behind but the young tuners offer-up thumbs up regularly. The torsion beam suspension is a bit lame, but a TRD rear sway bar was the best addition Ive made to it. Love this car and hope to run it to 200,000 or 300,000 miles (there are well documented Yarii with over 400,000 and even 500,000 miles)

Yes, love my Yaris!
Old 01-10-2015, 08:12 AM   #12
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 27,016
In shopping for a commuter, it is telling that the 2.0L mazda3 gets the same highway mileage as the subcompacts, in a MUCH nicer and slightly larger package. The 3iTouring trim retails for 21k - 16in alloys, fog lights, 7in touchscreen infotainment, everything short of heated seats and auto climate control (add 1.6k for that, bundled with a backup camera and stuff)

I attribute the mileage to Mazda putting a 6spd manual with a true overdrive 6th cog in it. The 5spds in the subcompacts are geared for not getting run the F over with their tiny motors, and absolute mileage is handicapped as a result.

The 3 will be my next car, replacing a well-worn Focus ZX5. There just isn't anything to be gained (IMO) going any smaller.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #13
Tinker1980
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
I like small cars myself. Recently bought one of these:

It's a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage. It's like a modern, safer, faster, more comfortable Geo Metro. Lots of fun to drive. Lightest 4 door car in the US right now, best non-hybrid gas mileage as well. The bright blue color makes it visible even in fog, and it really stands out in a sea of gray/silver/darker gray cars, which is all you see anymore.

Auto reviewers piss and moan about how terrible a car it is, I think they are comparing it to BMW's and such that cost $80,000.

It's an economy car. That's all it is. It's put together in such a way as to be easily repairable in the future. Which is a bonus to me, because I'm going to keep it as long as it runs.

Grainbelt: The highway mileage advertised for subcompacts is considerably less than they actually get. My Mirage is only supposed to get 34 city, 42 highway, 37 combined. Consider the following:

This is my mileage display. 49 is pretty good, I can get over 50 pretty easy. I have yet to get a tankful that returned me less than 44 mpg. The guys with CVT's do even better, but I think an auto transmission in an economy car is a crime against Nature and Man, so I didn't get one.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #14
Fleece Johnson
Husky Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Insight and Elio

I have been looking for a new(to me) commuter. Saw an interesting article about the original insight and how cheaply you can pick one up now and the MPG they can return. Also with the Elio supposedly coming out at the end of this year. I drive by myself 100% of the time so space isn't an issue.

Any other 50+ mpg commuters you can think of that can be had for 5-7k?
Fleece Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #15
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
In shopping for a commuter, it is telling that the 2.0L mazda3 gets the same highway mileage as the subcompacts, in a MUCH nicer and slightly larger package. The 3iTouring trim retails for 21k - 16in alloys, fog lights, 7in touchscreen infotainment, everything short of heated seats and auto climate control (add 1.6k for that, bundled with a backup camera and stuff)

I attribute the mileage to Mazda putting a 6spd manual with a true overdrive 6th cog in it. The 5spds in the subcompacts are geared for not getting run the F over with their tiny motors, and absolute mileage is handicapped as a result.

The 3 will be my next car, replacing a well-worn Focus ZX5. There just isn't anything to be gained (IMO) going any smaller.

The 3 is a terrific car. Mileage isn't the sole reason to choose a subcompact. My Yaris was 12k, OTD when I bought it new in 2008. Some of us have no interest in infotainment centers or paying 21k for a commuter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: